Greetings from Las Cruces, NM!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
If you are still in Cruces, head to Dick's Café on Valley. Awesome green chili cheeseburgers. My wife and I both graduated from New Mexico State University in Cruces.
How did you like living in Las Cruces? It seems like a great place to live. A big city with a small town feel. Ringed by majestic mountains ain't too shabby either.

Monello

PREMO Member
:whistle: El Patio Bar

We ended up here tonight after the local roller derby match. They had a cover band. A good mix of ages and personalities in the bar. And some people say there isn't anything to do around here.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We ended up here tonight after the local roller derby match. They had a cover band. A good mix of ages and personalities in the bar. And some people say there isn't anything to do around here.

I am curious if y’all are experiencing any fall out/bad stuff from the surge of illegals. I would think they stick out like a sore thumb. Not trying to make this thread political, but just wondering; since y’all are down there.

Last edited:

Monello

PREMO Member
I am curious if y’all are experiencing any fall out/bad stuff from the surge of illegals. I would think they stick out like a sore thumb. Not trying to make this thread political, but just wondering; since y’all are down there.
It's not like the illegals wear orange jump suits and are easy to spot. We have gone through a few checkpoints while driving, but that has been it. I'm sure we have been in close contact with illegals but unless they tell us so, we have no way of knowing.

When I worked in Northern Virginia I came in contact with dozens of illegals a day. We all worked together. It was well know who was legal and who wasn't. The illegals all had fake documents that allowed them to work without any problems. I'm sure it was a wink wink thing. And they got paid less than the gringos.

Today we are off to a Jewish Festival of all things. Way out here in the desert. I guess they were lost for 40 years.

littlelady

God bless the USA
It's not like the illegals wear orange jump suits and are easy to spot. We have gone through a few checkpoints while driving, but that has been it. I'm sure we have been in close contact with illegals but unless they tell us so, we have no way of knowing.

When I worked in Northern Virginia I came in contact with dozens of illegals a day. We all worked together. It was well know who was legal and who wasn't. The illegals all had fake documents that allowed them to work without any problems. I'm sure it was a wink wink thing. And they got paid less than the gringos.

Today we are off to a Jewish Festival of all things. Way out here in the desert. I guess they were lost for 40 years.

Thanks for your perspective. Hope you enjoy the Jewish Festival.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Jewish festival was enjoyable but not the spectacular the Greek peeps had in Sarasota. There was a flea market/yard sale thing, some singing and dancing, and food out the yang. We had massive pastrami sandwiches and Israeli salad, plus hat cookies that have a Yiddish name I can't pronounce.

Then we headed for the craft store so I could pick up some more yarn. I haven't been able to find the right bed runner to complement the duvet cover so I'm crocheting one. I miss crafting - at the house I had a whole section of my basement that was a crafting table and supplies, but there's just not room for it in the motorhome. That's why I do my nails all the time - creative outlet. But if I work one project at a time, my crochet bag doesn't take up a lot of space.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you are still in Cruces, head to Dick's Café on Valley. Awesome green chili cheeseburgers. My wife and I both graduated from New Mexico State University in Cruces.

And PS, we found this on the way back from the Jewish festival. We love those little roadside stands and will definitely make a point to eat there before we leave. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The Jewish festival was enjoyable but not the spectacular the Greek peeps had in Sarasota. There was a flea market/yard sale thing, some singing and dancing, and food out the yang. We had massive pastrami sandwiches and Israeli salad, plus hat cookies that have a Yiddish name I can't pronounce.

Then we headed for the craft store so I could pick up some more yarn. I haven't been able to find the right bed runner to complement the duvet cover so I'm crocheting one. I miss crafting - at the house I had a whole section of my basement that was a crafting table and supplies, but there's just not room for it in the motorhome. That's why I do my nails all the time - creative outlet. But if I work one project at a time, my crochet bag doesn't take up a lot of space.

In all these years, I never knew you crocheted!

Can't wait for pictures of the finished project! :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

:jet:

DC101

How did you like living in Las Cruces? It seems like a great place to live. A big city with a small town feel. Ringed by majestic mountains ain't too shabby either.
Las Cruces is a great place to live. It is a unique town and not too big. When we graduated college the town was much smaller and there were no jobs for us, so we moved away. I was in Cruces in December. We plan to return in June. So you see we make it back there quite a bit.

DC101

There is a wonderful used book store downtown call COAS. You can find lots of books detailing the history of LC, New Mexico and the Southwest.

DC101

I see you went to dripping springs. Another nice place to visit is on the other side of the Organ Mountains. Take 70 East until you go over the San Augustin pass, shortly after on the right is a State Park...….The Organs are different on the other side...……..if you continue on 70 for 25-30 miles you will hit White Sands Park on the left...….An amazing place, especially at night. You will go through a Border Patrol checkpoint on 70...….if you continue, you will hit Alamogordo. It has interesting things to see as well. If you are lucky, you may be able to visit Trinity Site in White Sands. They only open it to the public once or twice a year...……….this is the site of the first nuclear weapon detination.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The motorhome is going in the shop bright and early in the morning, so Monello and I decided to hole up at the LaQuinta across the street for the night so we don't have to get up at 0dark to breakdown. We tried to get dinner at Dick's Cafe but they were closed, so we went to Victoria's Burrito which is right next to the grocery store I go to and advertises grilled chicken that wafts aroma all through the parking lot and smells like heaven.

I thought it was just a counter service burrito joint - no. It is a full service restaurant with unique decor and a menu in Spanish. We both had the El Jefe, which was a humongous platter of food including costillas (which are thin sliced ribs that are seasoned and grilled), a Lorenza (basically a tostada with fajita beef), and that amazing grilled chicken (incredibly flavorful with crispy skin). Served with homemade tortillas, refrieds, and rice. It was an amazing amount of food. I brought fruit and yogurt for breakfast hotel hot breakfasts are hit or miss and I'm not into waffles. But I might have my leftovers for breakfast.

A word about the salsa roja at these Mexican places in the southwest: it is hotter than blazing Hell. I like it spicy but this stuff is way over my tolerance level; and yet the locals eat it like ketchup. Victoria's had a salsa and fixins bar, with two reds and two greens, lime wedges, pico de gallo, cilantro, and....cucumber slices.

So I'm sorry we missed out on Dick's, but that chicken at Victoria's made up for it.

littlelady

God bless the USA
The motorhome is going in the shop bright and early in the morning, so Monello and I decided to hole up at the LaQuinta across the street for the night so we don't have to get up at 0dark to breakdown. We tried to get dinner at Dick's Cafe but they were closed, so we went to Victoria's Burrito which is right next to the grocery store I go to and advertises grilled chicken that wafts aroma all through the parking lot and smells like heaven.

I thought it was just a counter service burrito joint - no. It is a full service restaurant with unique decor and a menu in Spanish. We both had the El Jefe, which was a humongous platter of food including costillas (which are thin sliced ribs that are seasoned and grilled), a Lorenza (basically a tostada with fajita beef), and that amazing grilled chicken (incredibly flavorful with crispy skin). Served with homemade tortillas, refrieds, and rice. It was an amazing amount of food. I brought fruit and yogurt for breakfast hotel hot breakfasts are hit or miss and I'm not into waffles. But I might have my leftovers for breakfast.

A word about the salsa roja at these Mexican places in the southwest: it is hotter than blazing Hell. I like it spicy but this stuff is way over my tolerance level; and yet the locals eat it like ketchup. Victoria's had a salsa and fixins bar, with two reds and two greens, lime wedges, pico de gallo, cilantro, and....cucumber slices.

So I'm sorry we missed out on Dick's, but that chicken at Victoria's made up for it.

I would like to know why the menu was in Spanish. Was there an option for English?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would like to know why the menu was in Spanish. Was there an option for English?

Nope. Just Spanish. Fortunately I speak fluent menu Spanish. :biggrin:

And here is an example of the kitschy decor, the stools at the counter:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I'd just like to point out there are MANY organizations throughout Louisiana that are specifically geared towards finding businesses, opportunities, events, and other people interested in continually using, developing, and supporting the tradition of French speaking in certain areas of Louisiana.

AKA FRENCH RESTAURANT MENUES TOTALLY IN FRENCH

Monello

PREMO Member
We saw our first road runner today. We saw it and it, wait for it, ran across the road. No coyotes were visible in the area. I guess those things prefer to run instead of fly.