Greetings from Pensacola!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ugh, the motorhome is literally falling apart. It's a long story but years ago before we hit the road the awning was ripped out of the side of the MH by wind. The repair was such that it caused the side to delaminate, which caused moisture to get in, which weakened the structure of the vehicle. The right front seam is coming apart, and yesterday Monello went to open one of the storage bays and the door came apart, tearing the siding and now we're duct taped together like the Clampetts. :jet:

So that's bad news and we're having a spell of bad luck altogether. Plus it's been raining hard practically since we got here, complete with thunderstorms, so that's annoying. I'm not as happy right now as I could be.....

Fortunately the last 5 years has taught me to roll with the punches because there is a solution to every problem, even if that solution is as extreme as finding a new home. And we already had a plan in place, so this latest event just solidified that and stopped our wavering. It will be nice to have a real home again.....

Okay, that last part is a damn lie. I love our rolling home and will miss being a vagabond. But I am looking forward to the next phase of my life and PCB is a nice place to live, and the resort we're looking at is pretty swanky. Wait'll they see us roll up with our duct taped RV and Monello's missing toof..... :lol:

We'll still travel but it won't be the same because we'll have to be judicious about it and not spend a week at a bunch of different places on the way to where we're going to spend a month. We'll be those destination oriented people who exhaust us. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You can get some great deals on class A RV's down south.
Lots of old people croak.
Buy used from the widow.

We were talking about buying the tiny house in PCB, then getting a little Class C runabout for travel but that probably doesn't make sense either. For the price of an RV you can buy a lot of campground cabins and hotel rooms.

But we'll see because there might be a deal we can't pass up and then just adjust our travel schedule to fit our limitations. Neither of us really wants to come off the road, but we're not distraught over it because we've had a heck of a 5 years.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good idea! All that's left to duck tape is Monello..

He's going in for that next week - a temp toof until he can get a permanent solution. Which is too bad because I was kind of looking forward to rolling into swanky PCB with duct tape and missing teeth. I already had my hairstyle and outfit planned....

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
We were talking about buying the tiny house in PCB, then getting a little Class C runabout for travel but that probably doesn't make sense either. For the price of an RV you can buy a lot of campground cabins and hotel rooms.

But we'll see because there might be a deal we can't pass up and then just adjust our travel schedule to fit our limitations. Neither of us really wants to come off the road, but we're not distraught over it because we've had a heck of a 5 years.
PCB sounds incredible! My retired Navy 2nd cousin lives there. Also, there is a certain friend of mine who might want to retire there and I think I might need a getaway or two. :dance:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
PCB sounds incredible! My retired Navy 2nd cousin lives there. Also, there is a certain friend of mine who might want to retire there and I think I might need a getaway or two. :dance:

You've been and stayed in one of the tiny houses, so you know what what I'm talking about. We'll be happy there. What I don't want to do is get back in the habit of accumulating a bunch of crap I don't need. I've fully embraced my minimalist lifestyle and don't want to revert.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
He's going in for that next week - a temp toof until he can get a permanent solution. Which is too bad because I was kind of looking forward to rolling into swanky PCB with duct tape and missing teeth. I already had my hairstyle and outfit planned....
They don't call that stretch of shoreline the "Redneck Riviera" for nothing. :yay:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
You've been and stayed in one of the tiny houses, so you know what what I'm talking about. We'll be happy there. What I don't want to do is get back in the habit of accumulating a bunch of crap I don't need. I've fully embraced my minimalist lifestyle and don't want to revert.
That's a great size! And you're great at weeding out!!!!!! :jet:

(Monello, just pretend you don't see this! :biggrin: )

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You can get some great deals on class A RV's down south.
Lots of old people croak.
Buy used from the widow.
Close friend of mine begs to differ...he lives in Tampa and just went through a crazy time trying to find any deals at all on a lightly used Class A. The 2020 Bounder he did just get only because, of the 5 people that showed up first thing in the morning after the ad was placed, he was the only one with cash.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Close friend of mine begs to differ...he lives in Tampa and just went through a crazy time trying to find any deals at all on a lightly used Class A. The 2020 Bounder he did just get only because, of the 5 people that showed up first thing in the morning after the ad was placed, he was the only one with cash.

RVs are hot. Anyone asking a reasonable price for theirs should see it sell pretty quickly. It started right after the pandemic craze began - RV dealers say they can't keep 'em on the lot.

Which is also an omen for us coming off the road. One of the best pieces of advice I ever got that has served me well over the years is, "When everyone is doing something, you do something else."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
RVs are hot. Anyone asking a reasonable price for theirs should see it sell pretty quickly. It started right after the pandemic craze began - RV dealers say they can't keep 'em on the lot.

Just saw a FB post from my friend's wife..they are doing a "test run" with their new-to-them 1-year old Bounder, staying at an RV park close by their house. To work out some kinks and setup details before they head west. Right off the bat...the hot water heater no worky... LOL. She said her morning shower was "short and brisk"...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Your friend will enjoy his Bounder. We see them in the campgrounds all the time. We see more of them than any other rig on the road. 2nd most would be the rental class Cs. They are super popular out west. Lots of foreigners rent them out and pack a whole lot of people in them.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
She said her morning shower was "short and brisk"...

My campground showers are long and luxurious. And I have all the hot water I need. I use the campgrounds bath house. Lots of room to spread out. Unlike an RV bathroom.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Your friend will enjoy his Bounder. We see them in the campgrounds all the time. We see more of them than any other rig on the road. 2nd most would be the rental class Cs. They are super popular out west. Lots of foreigners rent them out and pack a whole lot of people in them.
He's had a lot of experience with smaller RVs. In fact. the Winnebago Chieftain that I owned for quite a few years was originally his Dad's and then his. I'm pretty sure this is his first Class A. He wanted to buy a Class C but his missus vetoed that after looking at a bunch of them. She wanted the space and extra amenities. My Mom's RV is a Winnebago 300 Class C and gets used a fair amount by my sister and bro-in-law. Easy one to keep maintenance up on and parked in an RV enclosure when not in in use. That helps a LOT.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just saw a FB post from my friend's wife..they are doing a "test run" with their new-to-them 1-year old Bounder, staying at an RV park close by their house. To work out some kinks and setup details before they head west. Right off the bat...the hot water heater no worky... LOL. She said her morning shower was "short and brisk"...

That's annoying and another reason we're skeered to break in a new (to us) RV - there's always something. I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who didn't have initial problems with their RV, whether it was new or used.

Monello says all the time, if some young person who's mechanically inclined wanted a great paying career they should be a mobile RV repair guy. We see them at almost every campground we go to and they never have a shortage of work.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's annoying and another reason we're skeered to break in a new (to us) RV - there's always something. I don't think I've ever talked to anyone who didn't have initial problems with their RV, whether it was new or used.

Monello says all the time, if some young person who's mechanically inclined wanted a great paying career they should be a mobile RV repair guy. We see them at almost every campground we go to and they never have a shortage of work.
If I was not capable of repairing and maintaining literally every last detail of an RV myself, I'd probably never have owned one. Same is true for boats, for that matter. There's just so much that can go wrong with what is, nominally, not exactly high-grade equipment and workmanship to begin with.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I was not capable of repairing and maintaining literally every last detail of an RV myself, I'd probably never have owned one.

Not me. I don't need to be the expert as long as I know an expert and can give him a few bucks to solve my problem.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not me. I don't need to be the expert as long as I know an expert and can give him a few bucks to solve my problem.
LOL..if only it were that easy and rare.... If couldn't do all my own mechanical and electrical work, I'd never be able to afford the "toys" I have, be they boats, vehicles or whatever...