Greetings from the Keys!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm a big fan of the shacky waterfront bar. If I can get food there, too, yay! Good frozen margaritas, and now I don't want to go anywhere else.

There are several of those kind of places here. Unfortunately there's not a lot else going on, and there's only so much alcohol I can drink. My tan is coming along nicely because the pool is the most exciting activity around. The good news is that we don't need a lot of entertainment, we're content to just live and be.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
A few more pics.

DSCN5308.jpg

DSCN5312.jpg

Roadside debris from Irma
DSCN5305.jpg

DSCN5299.jpg

Iggy
DSCN5298.jpg

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
If you come back through Ocala/Dunnellon let me know and I can meet up with you somewhere. I am going back to Charleston, SC in April due to contract renewal changes. I am lucky they aren't bringing me back to the DC area.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Look what global climate change warming is doing to these magnificent creatures. Somebody needs to do something!!!

DSCN5300.jpg

DSCN5301.jpg

DSCN5314.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you come back through Ocala/Dunnellon let me know and I can meet up with you somewhere. I am going back to Charleston, SC in April due to contract renewal changes. I am lucky they aren't bringing me back to the DC area.

We'll be in Beverly Hills in March. I think that's about a half hour from Ocala.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Wasting away in Margaritaville. HELP!! HELP ME!!

I've always had this daydream of being on an island, remote, peaceful, lay in the sun, snooze, drink frosty cocktails.

BO-RING.

Thank god for the pool or we would have literally nothing to do besides drink. My tan is coming along nicely, but other than that there's not a lot going on in Marathon area. And it's not because of Irma - even before that there was nothing to do. If you're a person who will pitch a lawnchair on a pier and fish for hours on end, for days on end, it's probably great. But even Monello doesn't want to fish that much.

There's no shopping around here, so if you need, say, a new bathing suit top, you are chit outta luck. They have a rinky dink K-Mart and that is the only "clothing" store within 60 miles. They have one overpriced T-shirt and flip flop shop. They have Walgreens and Publix within 5 miles of our campground, so that's good - basic needs are met. But anything above that, no joy.

And now somebody just killed a 17 FOOT BURMESE PYTHON!!! that was rolling around the Everglades. These things eat alligators, people!!!

Two months here is about one month too long. Next time we'll know.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

I've always had this daydream of being on an island, remote, peaceful, lay in the sun, snooze, drink frosty cocktails.

BO-RING.

Thank god for the pool or we would have literally nothing to do besides drink. My tan is coming along nicely, but other than that there's not a lot going on in Marathon area. And it's not because of Irma - even before that there was nothing to do. If you're a person who will pitch a lawnchair on a pier and fish for hours on end, for days on end, it's probably great. But even Monello doesn't want to fish that much.

There's no shopping around here, so if you need, say, a new bathing suit top, you are chit outta luck. They have a rinky dink K-Mart and that is the only "clothing" store within 60 miles. They have one overpriced T-shirt and flip flop shop. They have Walgreens and Publix within 5 miles of our campground, so that's good - basic needs are met. But anything above that, no joy.

And now somebody just killed a 17 FOOT BURMESE PYTHON!!! that was rolling around the Everglades. These things eat alligators, people!!!

Living there is a lot different than visiting. It's pretty much like living anywhere else, except when you're not working, you have the beautiful waters, water sports, year round good weather. There really is a lot to do there.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

BO-RING.

Try Anthony’s for clothes

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm not a good relaxer. :mad:

*chuckle* When I was spending a lot of time down there (Stock Island/Shrimp Harbor), it was for work. But it was a blast too, because the owner of the shipyard and most of the small workforce would all head to the local watering hole at the end of every day, get some great food and hoist lots of beers. Always great live music entertainment and just a great atmosphere all around...catering more to "locals" than all the touristy dives on Key West, a few miles away.

I'm not a good "relaxer" either, if it means just lying around on a beach or next to a pool. I have to be doing something.

I haven't been down that way in forever, since the 70s at least. Rented a Morgan 41 OutIsland on Marathon and sailed to Key West. A trip I'll never forget. :whistle:

Ah yes.... my young, adventurous, drunken and stupid younger self. :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I haven't been down that way in forever, since the 70s at least. Rented a Morgan 41 OutIsland on Marathon and sailed to Key West. A trip I'll never forget. :whistle:

Such a long voyage....:sarcasm:.....

mAlice

professional daydreamer

It's nothing like it was back in the day. I have so much disdain for Key West, that we have, for the most part, stayed in the upper Keys when we visit. We lived in Key West for years, and have visited many times since leaving. Every time we go, it's worse. I've reached the point where I no longer have a desire to visit any part of the Keys anymore.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Living there is a lot different than visiting. It's pretty much like living anywhere else, except when you're not working, you have the beautiful waters, water sports, year round good weather. There really is a lot to do there.

We're about an hour north of Key West, though, otherwise we'd be at Mallory Square, walking their shopping area, bar hopping and listening to music. We'll know better next time.

I was just having a moment. You really can't bitch too much about the gorgeous weather, floating in the pool, and living in a swimsuit and sandals, or the gods will smite you. I could use at least a Target, though, because I really do need a new swimsuit top. The flip flop shop here has swimwear, but the tops are for little no-boob girls or young girls who don't mind letting it all hang out. There's a place in Islamorada called Lion's Lair, but I don't want to spend $60+ for just a top.

I was sad to see that Wahoo's in Islamorada is done for, thanks to Irma, but Lorelei's was pretty much untouched, and they still have that amazing coconut shrimp.

Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Was there last in the late 90's, and its a fun place to visit, but if you are going to live there, as anywhere, you need to find things you like to do with people who have similar interests on a regular basis and do it, or it will get boring.

Are you going to decorate your palm tree if you have one??

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
We're about an hour north of Key West, though, otherwise we'd be at Mallory Square, walking their shopping area, bar hopping and listening to music. We'll know better next time.

I was just having a moment. You really can't bitch too much about the gorgeous weather, floating in the pool, and living in a swimsuit and sandals, otherwise the gods will smite you. I could use at least a Target, though, because I really do need a new swimsuit top. The flip flop shop here has swimwear, but the tops are for little no-boob girls or young girls who don't mind letting it all hang out. There's a place in Islamorada called Lion's Lair, but I don't want to spend $60+ for just a top.

I was sad to see that Wahoo's in Islamorada is done for, thanks to Irma, but Lorelei's was pretty much untouched, and they still have that amazing coconut shrimp.
There s swimwear shop for big busted women in Islamorada. My daughter shops there every time she visits