Greetings from the Keys!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's nothing like it was back in the day. I have so much disdain for Key West, that we have, for the most part, stayed in the upper Keys when we visit. We lived in Key West for years, and have visited many times since leaving. Every time we go, it's worse. I've reached the point where I no longer have a desire to visit any part of the Keys anymore.

Worse in what way?

We're planning to take off for a couple of days and go down, probably in January - I have a girlfriend in Key West who I haven't seen in far too long.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've reached the point where I no longer have a desire to visit any part of the Keys anymore.

Same here, but only for Key West. I went there a lot back in the 70s, when we would stay at the BOQ for peanuts and I was diving regularly. Last time I was in Key West "for fun" was in '93 for one of the offshore powerboat races. The whole time I was working next door on Stock Island throughout the early 2000s, I never set foot on Key West.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Worse in what way?

We're planning to take off for a couple of days and go down, probably in January - I have a girlfriend in Key West who I haven't seen in far too long.

Worse in that it wasn't always the tourist trap that it is now, that it's over populated with Eurotrash and transplants who have become snooty because they think because they moved there, they're not Conchs, and that somehow makes it okay to be crappy to people. The traffic is a nightmare, and it has gotten so expensive, that actually living there is cost prohibitive for the average joe. A large number of people who work in the Keys, don't live in the Keys. They are bussed in and out of Miami every day. I guess, since I lived there before, I'm comparing what it was, to what it is. I don't like what it has become. I loved it when I lived there. There are still plenty of people who are happy with the way it is, but others, not so much. I have a friend who loved in Tavernier, and couldn't wait for her youngest to graduate, so she could leave. We met in the early '80's. She got married and stayed. She has lived with the growth, and talked about leaving for years. There a very few good jobs for the locals, unless they're business owners, or drive to Miami.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Why? I loved Key West and had a blast there, but it was like 7 or 8 years ago and only for one night.

I'd bet it's still a good place for that one or two days and nights of the first experience. I know people who went fairly recently for the first time and really enjoyed it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Were they there for Fantasy Fest? :popcorn:

My husband was down there for FF this year, working at Boca Chica, and he said it was awful. Mind you, he was born and raised there, so his opinion counts. He said the whole town was full of painted peckers and size long boobies.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I was in Key West for the first time last month. I enjoyed it, but it is packed with people. We walked or Uber'd everywhere. Didn't get to see everything I wanted too. Traveling with a gaggle of women sucks! :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Worse in that it wasn't always the tourist trap that it is now,

When I was down there in the '70s sport diving, I loved Key West. It was fairly quiet, laid back, cheap. I remember you could pick up a dilapidated little "conch house" for peanuts. I was all fired up about buying one back then and fixing it up..but life got in the way.

Stayed here. It's no longer a BOQ though. Had beer vending machines and pool tables in the common areas. LOL...

https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/90361

Last edited:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I'd bet it's still a good place for that one or two days and nights of the first experience. I know people who went fairly recently for the first time and really enjoyed it.

On the flip side, my neighbors (you know who) sold their timeshare in Key West 2-3 years ago. They got bored going down there after so many years.

I guess they never though about swapping timeshares to go other places.

When I was down there in the '70s sport diving...

That's why we were there too. Rented a small boat and headed off into the Bermuda Triangle. Hit a small outcrop with the prop, didn't think too much about it. Got where we were going, threw out the anchor and dove overboard. Poking around on the bottom for a while, came across a brand new propeller!! Oh WOW! Our first find in Florida! A prop...... and we all looked up at the same time and saw it had come from our boat. :doh: Kludged it together as there were no spare prop kits on board and headed back. Got dockside and the prop fell off again. We wore our "I Survived the Bermuda Triangle!" shirts proudly.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I picked up 1 of those real estate booklets outside the grocery store. Home prices down here are incredibly expensive. $400K for a 2/1 nothing little bungalow. Anything close to the water is easily a million plus.

We are told that our little deserted campground will be filled in a week and will stay booked for the next 3 months.
lots of kiddies here until new years. That should make things around here a bit more exciting.

A few of our neighbors have decorated the palm trees on their lots. They look nice and since it gets dark so early, we are able to enjoy them on the nightly walks. Not sure if we are motivated enough to do that. Plus you have to store those lights and decorations until next Christmas.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
When I was down there in the '70s sport diving, I loved Key West. It was fairly quiet, laid back, cheap. I remember you could pick up a dilapidated little "conch house" for peanuts. I was all fired up about buying one back then and fixing it up..but life got in the way.

Stayed here. It's no longer a BOQ though. Had beer vending machines and pool tables in the common areas. LOL...

https://www.floridamemory.com/items/show/90361

I think they house visitors on Truman, now. My husband stayed there, but I didn't ask him exactly where he was. When he said BOQ, I just assumed he was talking about this building. I've been in the club there, when it was the BOQ. When we first got married we lived on Prado Cir on Big Coppett ( '83 ), then we moved to Sigsbee old officer housing, which has since been demolished, and it's camping now. Our last residence was Poinciana, off of Duck Ave.

Our Conch house...

Attachments

• Prado Cir.jpg
    Prado Cir.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 446

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We's havin' us a squall.

This morning at around 4:30 we were awakened by a big "WHUP!" and the motorhome taking a big rock. We realize the wind has kicked up and is threatening to sail us to Oz, courtesy of the awning. So we run outside and attempt to put a huge awning back up, that's tethered to the ground with pigtails no less, in crazy wind and rain.

We did get it up, but it was hairy there for awhile. I need to be about 6" taller to really be of any help.

All became calm until just about 10 mins ago, when the wind kicked back up and the rain came pouring down. Storms here are usually brief, but intense (unless they're a Cat 4 hurricane). It calmed again, then just now started blowing hard and pouring rain.

I'm making chili in my InstantPot.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In the last pic you can see the tenters - two young couples - that decided this was a good time to go camping on the Gulf. I can't think of a more miserable way to spend a weekend, tent camping in a major squall with winds 20-30 mph. You can see that one tent didn't make it through the night. They'll have a great story to tell their friends.