Grocery store coffees

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sometimes I get this idea that I want to economize, even though I'm pretty cheap already. Two things I don't like to compromise on are good coffee and eggs. Seeing a pale yellow yolk gives me the sadz and I'll gladly pay more for a deep yellow-orange tasty yolk. Coffee same BUT Publix had Folger's on the BOGO and I wanted the red canister it comes in. So I bought some....

Bleh. Tastes bland and smells like the filter.

So do you buy grocery store coffee and if so what brand? Is Folger's really okay and it's the plastic tub that jacks it up? I got some Maxwell House in the vac-pac and it was okay.

The online taste tester sites all rave about Starbucks but if I wanted to pay that much for coffee I'd just go ahead and get the good stuff online.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Don't ask me. I like good strong coffee, but I drink so much, the big boxes of K-cups from Ollie's are good enough for my daily consumption.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My goto is Dunkin whole bean. I had been getting it at BJs, they had a 2lb bag for pretty cheap, and it's great coffee. I mix it with a bit of maple flavored coffee.

But all of a sudden, it's gone, and no space on the shelf for it. :ohwell: Glad I stocked up a while back.

SamSpade

Nope, I drink way too much coffee to make a fuss over whether it's GREAT coffee or just so-so. My typical morning brew is a mix of different store brand K-Cups. It's rare that I have EVER had a cup of coffee that I thought was THAT much superior. I do kind of like this mushroom coffee I've tried lately - it gives me more of a good mental boost and feeling than the quick jitters that caffeine brings. Kind of like an energy drink.

My kids observed years ago that since I like foods that are spicy, or hot or salty or whatever, that essentially my taste buds are completely SHOT and I need to follow recipes than go by what my mouth says is good.

Personally I think it's their way of politely telling me they hate my cooking and my food choices.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I have a maple-bacon coffee from a little operation in Leonardtown that I like. I've had coffee from Black Rifle that is good. I've been meaning to try some flavored coffee from Blackout Coffee Company.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I am not a coffee connoisseur - but you already know that! :lol: I liked Folgers when I had a coffeemaker type of deal, but I only buy their coffee bags for work, for the once in a while coffee I might drink there. I buy the generic Weis or Safeway K cups. Morning / Breakfast blend or whatever they call it.
I do like an occasional espresso when I'm out someplace. I'm getting the coffee machine from PC soon, so I can make my own espresso in it!! :getdown:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We use the K cups and a Keurig. Peets Major Dickason Blend is my current favorite. I've tried a lot of the Black Rifle Coffees and I like the Dunkin' Donuts blend too.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I just ordered a bag of Maple French Roast from Speeder & Earl's. I felt like after the Folgers fiasco I deserve something amazing.

And I should just stop with the pretense. Dunkin' is my go to bagged coffee because it's frequently on the BOGO but I don't love it. For a couple bucks more I can have a truly fabulous coffee. Like those pasture raised eggs, what's a couple bucks in the grand scheme of things?

DaSDGuy

Not grocery store coffee. Roasted too long ago and very dry. I get Peet's Whole bean coffee. It is roasted when you order. I only grind enough for a Bodum French Press. Burr grinder of course. Blades get the coffee too hot and sometimes the grounds taste burnt.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Sometimes I get this idea that I want to economize, even though I'm pretty cheap already. Two things I don't like to compromise on are good coffee and eggs. Seeing a pale yellow yolk gives me the sadz and I'll gladly pay more for a deep yellow-orange tasty yolk. Coffee same BUT Publix had Folger's on the BOGO and I wanted the red canister it comes in. So I bought some....

Bleh. Tastes bland and smells like the filter.

So do you buy grocery store coffee and if so what brand? Is Folger's really okay and it's the plastic tub that jacks it up? I got some Maxwell House in the vac-pac and it was okay.

The online taste tester sites all rave about Starbucks but if I wanted to pay that much for coffee I'd just go ahead and get the good stuff online.

Try Peet's Coffee Major Dickason's Blend Dark Roast. You won't regret it.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member

I buy the folgers black silk. It's a dark roast and I tend to make it strong.

Other than that, it's green mountain dark magic or some other dark roast.

Haven't tried the Peets i read about above.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I have a maple-bacon coffee from a little operation in Leonardtown that I like. I've had coffee from Black Rifle that is good. I've been meaning to try some flavored coffee from Blackout Coffee Company.
The Black Rifle Murdered Out ( MO ), is great but hard to find.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not grocery store coffee. Roasted too long ago and very dry. I get Peet's Whole bean coffee. It is roasted when you order. I only grind enough for a Bodum French Press. Burr grinder of course. Blades get the coffee too hot and sometimes the grounds taste burnt.

Ah, my fellow coffee snob :high5: