Grout cleaning

kwillia said:
ooooooooooooo..... great tip... my sis lives in Silver Spring... she'll help me find the place... I'm getting all tingly now... this is exciting... :clap:
I'll go with ya to Beltsville! I wanna see what they have. Starting to think about finishing the basement, and will need to put something down over the concrete.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
huntr1 said:
I'll go with ya to Beltsville! I wanna see what they have. Starting to think about finishing the basement, and will need to put something down over the concrete.
You may wanna check on that first. I seem to remember reading somewhere that hardwood flooring is not the best thing to use on sub-ground-level surfaces. That may be a better candidate for the laminate, but I think they may carry that at Lumber Liquidator's from time to time as well. :shrug:

It's kind of a hit or miss thing with them though. Do your research, get a few ideas of what kinds you like, call 'em and see if they have it in stock. It's a long haul to go if they end up not having it. :yay: Another good idea may be to peruse Lowes & Home Depot or other flooring stores to get ideas of actual colors, thicknesses, widths, etc. that you like, jot those down and call LL's with that info. Just b/c they have it today doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow. :ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
michellegal said:
I did a search but couldn't find anything on this topic. I have tan ceramic tile in my foyer with a tan grout. I've noticed lately that the grout is starting to turn brown in spots from the dirt on my shoes because of walking in and out.

Any suggestions on getting this clean? I've tried a few cleaners and nothing seems to be working.

Thanks.
I don't know if this will work on tan grout, but I've used the Clorox bleach pens on the white grout in my master bath shower with great results. :yay: It has the pen applicator on one side and a scrubby head on the other. It is a bit time-consuming, but I don't have to do it very often. :clap:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Ka-boom

jazz lady said:
I don't know if this will work on tan grout, but I've used the Clorox bleach pens on the white grout in my master bath shower with great results. :yay: It has the pen applicator on one side and a scrubby head on the other. It is a bit time-consuming, but I don't have to do it very often. :clap:
KA-BOOM works great too. Just need a grout brush and some elbow grease. Lowes carries it.

Suz

Kizzy

Kizzy said:
They sell grout cleaner. It is very strong and I honestly think it doesn’t work any better than a bleach mix and a scrub brush. Ceramic floors are great, but cleaning the grout is a PITA. My entire kitchen at my old house was ceramic tile, with white grout. I ended up using a plastic type white paint and painting over the grout.

:neener: Yep, that was my secret on how that floor always looked so clean. It kept me from being on my hands and knees scrubbing a floor all the dayum time.
Do you remember the name of the paint or where you got the grout paint??????

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Suz' said:
KA-BOOM works great too. Just need a grout brush and some elbow grease. Lowes carries it.
What aisle is the elbow grease usually found on? :biggrin:

M

michellegal

Well, you aren't going to believe this. At least I couldn't believe it. I left work at 4:00 pm and came home. Noticed that Suz' had suggested Kaboom. I used the magic eraser and that didn't work. I sprayed the Kaboom and scrubbed it with a scrubby pad and that didn't work. I used the magic eraser WITH the Kaboom and that didn't work.

I got mad because I figured I'd have to make a trip to Lowes to get something else. I walked away, and 30 minutes later when I went to the door and looked at the tile....it was CLEAN in the spots I had worked on!!!

I'm guessing that the Kaboom had to sit a while. I don't care....it worked and that's all that matters.

Thank you!! :smile:

Suz

michellegal said:
Well, you aren't going to believe this. At least I couldn't believe it. I left work at 4:00 pm and came home. Noticed that Suz' had suggested Kaboom. I used the magic eraser and that didn't work. I sprayed the Kaboom and scrubbed it with a scrubby pad and that didn't work. I used the magic eraser WITH the Kaboom and that didn't work.

I got mad because I figured I'd have to make a trip to Lowes to get something else. I walked away, and 30 minutes later when I went to the door and looked at the tile....it was CLEAN in the spots I had worked on!!!

I'm guessing that the Kaboom had to sit a while. I don't care....it worked and that's all that matters.

Thank you!! :smile:
So glad it worked! :huggy:
once you get it all clean I would seal it good. Again lowes. That does get old though so I wish Kizzy would tell me more about the paint!!!!!!!!!

and KK
sure wish you could buy "elbow grease" I'm getting too old for this stuff!!!

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The wife and I use a strong mix of oxy-clean and a scrub brush for our grout. It is a little time consuming but worth it in the end. In fact it is so time consuming I got her a year's worth of maid service for christmas.

C

czygvtwkr

Only thing that worked on my bathroom floor grout was white vinegar and a stiff grout brush. It was dirty gray when I moved in and now its nice and white. Took a lot of elbow grease though.