Growing Up in Southern Maryland

JimW711

Driving the Z
Oh yeah!! And we always stopped at Lyle's Steakhouse on the way home.

My parents used to go to Lyle's Steak House to eat many times, even though they liked going to Charles County to play the slot machines.

Lyle DeWeese turned the restaurant over to his son who promptly ran it into the ground. After the restaurant was forced to close, Lyle ended up working for Pepco at the Chalk Point Generating station. He passed away a few years ago. He was a really nice guy.

OldHillcrestGuy

Did you know the older one (my Uncle) or the younger one (my cousin)? The older one died in the early 1990's and the younger one lives in Waldorf still.

I'm not sure I know her but this happens sometimes.

Must be the younger one around 58, my brother played ball with him for a number of years, Silver Hill Boys Club and at Potomac..

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
Last edited:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Anyone else remember Marshal Hall / riding on the Wilson line?

It's a wonder I have any teeth at all....I used to stay on those bumper cars at Marshall Hall....Loved them....Remember the skating rink at Chapel Point? I made many a lap there too...

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
It's a wonder I have any teeth at all....I used to stay on those bumper cars at Marshall Hall....Loved them....Remember the skating rink at Chapel Point? I made many a lap there too...

No matter what park I went to, I always spent a lot of time on the bumper cars. My wife and I went to the MD State Fair last week, and before we left I joked with her I was going to ride the bumper cars. Of course, they didn't have any. :boo:

RPMDAD

Oh, man. Marshall Hall. Yeah, I remember it. Glen Echo, too. GLENECHO And Gwynn Oak Park in Baltimore. Great Amusement Parks, even if they were small in comparison to places like King's Dominion. Here's a link to a bunch of old Amusement Parks Parks in Baltimore Maryland Bay Shore Park , Carlins, Clifton, Druid Hill , Electric Park, Gwynn Oak :party:

Definitely remember Glen Echo, Marshall Haal, Wilson Liner, and the old park that used to be around the ROD'nReel. Also lived in Surrey Square Apts. back in the early 70's.

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
Definitely remember Glen Echo, Marshall Haal, Wilson Liner, and the old park that used to be around the ROD'nReel. Also lived in Surrey Square Apts. back in the early 70's.

I lived in Surrey Square with my parents for about 3 months from Feb - May 1973 after my discharge. Then we got our own place in Suitland at Imperial Gardens.

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
My parents owned the Sunoco station on Suitland Rd. (across from the 7-11) for years.
Dad graduated Suitland high in '69 and mom went to St. Cecilia's. Most of our boy cousins went to McNamara.

I was in the Coral Hills Area today and went by and snapped this picture with my cell phone camera. It's the place I was talking about way back when this thread was going.

Just wanted to clarify.

Attachments

• Shady Oak Inn.jpg
    Shady Oak Inn.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 174

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
Duckpin Bowling

Whatever happened to Duckpin Bowling? Does it still exist in Southern Maryland? Where can I go to bowl? I used to bowl at Parkland, Marlow Heights and Suitland. Is it still around?

greyhound

I always enjoyed the beaches on the Chesapeake before everyone went to Ocean City; North Beach, Mayo, Beverly, Chesapeake, Bay Ridge, etc. They were all fun. There were nets to keep out the jelly fish, and the water was calmer, so you could spend more time in the water without being tossed around so much. Of course the boardwalks weren't anything like Ocean City, but for a kid they were great. I always liked coming home with that smell of the beach. :yahoo:

Do you remember Uncle Billy's and The Reef?

lam2

tickled~pink
Moved to Maryland in 1970, went to Morningside Elementary, Benjamin Foulois and Central High School.

I did not wear Banlon and Chucks but my sister did.

Love those duckpins.

Pezfreak

Moved to Maryland in 1970, went to Morningside Elementary, Benjamin Foulois and Central High School.

Same here. My first job was at the tastee freeze. Anyone remember the dances at the VFW on suitland rd in the 70's and 80's?
The old G.I. market that later became Highs is now a red octopus tattoo shop owned by my aunt.
Bought my first 6pack at the house of Lee behind memco.. of course I was old enough:whistle:

Moved to calvert in 89 to start a family.

lam2

tickled~pink
Same here. My first job was at the tastee freeze. Anyone remember the dances at the VFW on suitland rd in the 70's and 80's?
The old G.I. market that later became Highs is now a red octopus tattoo shop owned by my aunt.
Bought my first 6pack at the house of Lee behind memco.. of course I was old enough:whistle:

Moved to calvert in 89 to start a family.

I remember the dances, I went to one or two. Spent many a dollar at the GI Market and Highs.

I think everyone bought their beer at House of Lee, of course I was of age too. :whistle:

I lived in Forest Village Apartments off of Forestville Road. So we used to walk to Morningside through the woods by Foulois.

Remember the Village Barn?