Growing Up in Southern Maryland

ole gal

That's where we always went for special occassions. I remember getting my first steak there! My mother wanted me to share hers, but the neighbor said I could get my own. I think my mother kicked her leg hard enough to bruise it! For a while a place in La Plata (I think it was called Papillon's at the time - Johnny Boys now) served Oakland Inn style meals. I finally learned how to make the carrots they used to make!

I grew up in Waldorf, going to Iverson Mall was a big deal because Waldorf didn't have anywhere to shop then. I have one of those Santa in the trailer pictures too!

My brothers went to Bishop McNamara, so I spent a lot of time up near Penn Mar (Horn & Horn, Kresgees (sp?) and JC Penny) when my mother drove the carpool.
I also used to make the Oakland Inn carrots but have lost my recipe, if you still have it would be kind enough to share? I too lived in LaPlata and remember Pappilions (sp). Such a sad story for that family! Knew Johnny well! No could beat the Oakland Inns Fried Chicken. Do you remember Pat Penny's BBQ, I stll make his sauce.

PJay

I also used to make the Oakland Inn carrots but have lost my recipe, if you still have it would be kind enough to share? I too lived in LaPlata and remember Pappilions (sp). Such a sad story for that family! Knew Johnny well! No could beat the Oakland Inns Fried Chicken. Do you remember Pat Penny's BBQ, I stll make his sauce.
Would you be kind enough to share sauce recipe?

Last edited:

ole gal

Would you be kind enough to share sauce recipe?
Hi PJay, I really dont use a recipe, but here are the ingredients: Bottle of store brand ketchup (dont use Heinz), sugar, white vinegar, sage and very small amount of liquid smoke. Cook on stove until well melded. The sage give the unique Pat Penny flavor and spice, I tend to use a lot of it. I usually make mine with 3 - 64 ounce bottles of ketchup, but you can start with a smaller batch. It keeps a very long time refrigerated.

PJay

Hi PJay, I really dont use a recipe, but here are the ingredients: Bottle of store brand ketchup (dont use Heinz), sugar, white vinegar, sage and very small amount of liquid smoke. Cook on stove until well melded. The sage give the unique Pat Penny flavor and spice, I tend to use a lot of it. I usually make mine with 3 - 64 ounce bottles of ketchup, but you can start with a smaller batch. It keeps a very long time refrigerated.

Hi! It's a Christmas Miracle! You have no idea what this will mean to the person will be giving your recipe to. He always tells me how much he loved the ribs there and that sauce. I know nothing about that special place. He tried to find the recipe, but no luck and no one would share it with him.
Thank you so much!

Just so you know, haven't seen Old Timer on the forum lately. This thread was made 2008. I hope he still around and shares the carrot recipe with you.

ole gal

Hi! It's a Christmas Miracle! You have no idea what this will mean to the person will be giving your recipe to. He always tells me how much he loved the ribs there and that sauce. I know nothing about that special place. He tried to find the recipe, but no luck and no one would share it with him.
Thank you so much!

Just so you know, haven't seen Old Timer on the forum lately. This thread was made 2008. I hope he still around and shares the carrot recipe with you.
You got me thinking about this sauce and giving you my recipe. I haven`t made it in a long time, so I`m making some right now! I missed a couple ingredients, but I measured what I`ve done. The ingredients were confirmed by Sadie, one of the last cooks for Pat. 64 oz cheap ketchup, 1 Cup white vinegar, 1 Cup sugar, 3 Tablespoons + Sage, about 8 drops liquid smoke, 2 Teaspoons salt & 2 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce. Merry Christmas and tell your friend I hope it fits the bill!

ole gal

Thank you so much!

I saw that Old Timer was a very old post and thought I would not get a response. Pray he is well. I did find a recipe online that I think will work.

PJay

You got me thinking about this sauce and giving you my recipe. I haven`t made it in a long time, so I`m making some right now! I missed a couple ingredients, but I measured what I`ve done. The ingredients were confirmed by Sadie, one of the last cooks for Pat. 64 oz cheap ketchup, 1 Cup white vinegar, 1 Cup sugar, 3 Tablespoons + Sage, about 8 drops liquid smoke, 2 Teaspoons salt & 2 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce. Merry Christmas and tell your friend I hope it fits the bill!
You're a sweet lady. Thank you!

I wanted to learn more about the place, look what I found:

I really appreciate you.

Merry Christmas!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
You're a sweet lady. Thank you!

I wanted to learn more about the place, look what I found:

I really appreciate you.

Merry Christmas!
When I was stationed in Jacksonville, we ended up at Andrews quite a few times. 1 of the crew members would drag us to a bbq joint in Charles county. It was an old garage just off route 5. This was in the late 1980s. When I moved to that area in 1998, I couldn't locate this place. I had a rough idea of where it was. But my memory of the place after only going there twice a decade before was spotty.

I'm glad you found an ancient article about local barbecue joints. I think this is the beauty of the internet. Not using it to argue politics with complete strangers.

PJay

When I was stationed in Jacksonville, we ended up at Andrews quite a few times. 1 of the crew members would drag us to a bbq joint in Charles county. It was an old garage just off route 5. This was in the late 1980s. When I moved to that area in 1998, I couldn't locate this place. I had a rough idea of where it was. But my memory of the place after only going there twice a decade before was spotty.

I'm glad you found an ancient article about local barbecue joints. I think this is the beauty of the internet. Not using it to argue politics with complete strangers.
You're a good man. I see why Vrai likes you :yay:

You're right. Arguing is a complete waste of time. Life is short and there are better things to do.

PJay

Shocked Uh Oh GIF