Growing Up in Southern Maryland

camily

Peace
My parents owned the Sunoco station on Suitland Rd. (across from the 7-11) for years.
Dad graduated Suitland high in '69 and mom went to St. Cecilia's. Most of our boy cousins went to McNamara.

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
I remember the Chinese Place in Coral Hills. It had a moose head with a bra hanging off of it. My bartender (I managed Tully's in Waldorf) worked there as a part-timer.

There was also a restaurant in Coral Hills that served everything family style?? I cant remember the name, but it was in an old house.

Michelle's night club????

The Yellow Submarine - made really good subs!!!!

Ames Department Store????

Woolco Depatment Store?????

Mamouth Mart in Waldorf???

Ponderosa on Allentown Road???

Chinese Place across from Hillside Drive-in

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
My parents owned the Sunoco station on Suitland Rd. (across from the 7-11) for years.
Dad graduated Suitland high in '69 and mom went to St. Cecilia's. Most of our boy cousins went to McNamara.

Did your dad know Jackie Lambert? he graduated in 68 from Suiltand. Pitched for the baseball team. Billy Winters, too.

JimW711

Driving the Z
ask your Dad

If your Dad graduated from Suitland in 69, ask him if he remebers a "really" big girl that went there by the name or Margie Cheshire? I mean she was H U G E!!

Old Timer

Who remembers Oakland Inn?

That's where we always went for special occassions. I remember getting my first steak there! My mother wanted me to share hers, but the neighbor said I could get my own. I think my mother kicked her leg hard enough to bruise it! For a while a place in La Plata (I think it was called Papillon's at the time - Johnny Boys now) served Oakland Inn style meals. I finally learned how to make the carrots they used to make!

I grew up in Waldorf, going to Iverson Mall was a big deal because Waldorf didn't have anywhere to shop then. I have one of those Santa in the trailer pictures too!

My brothers went to Bishop McNamara, so I spent a lot of time up near Penn Mar (Horn & Horn, Kresgees (sp?) and JC Penny) when my mother drove the carpool.

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
I went to a wake there last summer, I'm pretty sure it's a funeral home.

You are right. I can't think of the name of the old restaurant that is still open on Marlboro Pike in District Heights. it was around when the Oakland Inn was. Remember Burger Shack on Marlboro Pike near Hillside drive-in?

Attachments

• md-coralhills-hillside-1.jpg
    md-coralhills-hillside-1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
It's now called Pope's Funeral home, but I did eat there when it was Oakland Inn way back in about 88 or so.

homedepot20

Born in Leonardtown at the OLD hospital, Lived at foxes point on Breton Bay and attended Leonardtown Elem 64- to 69 before moving to PG county.