Growing Up in Southern Maryland

JimW711

Driving the Z
Piscataway??

you all are bringing back memories...grew up in Piscataway. Remember the drive ins? ABC and Super Chief was it?

Piscataway as in Piscataway Road in the Clinton area? Or Piscataway Drive off Old Fort Road??

BakeMyFish

Humorous Observations
Well, I'll see you guys around. This was fun. You can relive a lot of those memories on my Blog. The sidebar has links to a bunch of stuff. Just click on the pictures, and you'll go there. Red Barn, Drive-Ins, Little Tavern, etc.

Also, the Marlow Heights link is a site run by Chuck Fraley. Just click on the Marlow Heights sign. He's a really good guy who organizes get-togethers. I met a bunch of people at Steak in a Sack on the 2nd of August. He put that together.

I have to leave for now. Have to finish up some stuff for work.

Have a nice night.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
You are right. I can't think of the name of the old restaurant that is still open on Marlboro Pike in District Heights. it was around when the Oakland Inn was. Remember Burger Shack on Marlboro Pike near Hillside drive-in?

I think I went to that drive in once or twice, but we always seemed to go to ABC Drive In on Indian Head Highway. I remember one time a car pulled in and about 5 people got out of the trunk. I was like 9 so this was the most hilarious thing to me. :killingme

camily

Peace
Did your dad know Jackie Lambert? he graduated in 68 from Suiltand. Pitched for the baseball team. Billy Winters, too.

If your Dad graduated from Suitland in 69, ask him if he remebers a "really" big girl that went there by the name or Margie Cheshire? I mean she was H U G E!!

Unfortunately my dad, Bill (Billy) Allen died 5 years ago. The names don't mean anything to my mom. My uncles and aunts went there too though. Galeano's, Allen's, Lance's and Piazza's.

JimW711

Driving the Z
the Beauty Parlor??

I actually lived on Livingston Rd where 223 came in...by the beauty parlor that was the purple house, lol

That was Mrs. Bower's place.... she used to do my Mom's hair. Her husband was a Capitol Hill Police Inspector!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to Eugene Burroughs when it first opened. I know that area well.

Last edited:

JimW711

Driving the Z
sorry

Unfortunately my dad, Bill (Billy) Allen died 5 years ago. The names don't mean anything to my mom. My uncles and aunts went there too though. Galeano's, Allen's, Lance's and Piazza's.

Sorry to hear that. Since I graduated from Oxon Hill the same year, your Dad had to be about my age.

papoose

Burroughs?

That was Mrs. Bower's place.... she used to do my Mom's hair. He husband was a Capitol Hill Police Inspector!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to Eugene Burroughs when it first opened. I know that area well.

yes, Hunni (sp?) Bowers...they lived on Taylor Ave I believe. She used to do my mother's hair too, lol. We lived across the street...went to Ferguson, Burroughs and Gwynn Park Senior (after they rezoned if I recall correctly).

JimW711

Driving the Z
you're correct!!

yes, Hunni (sp?) Bowers...they lived on Taylor Ave I believe. She used to do my mother's hair too, lol. We lived across the street...went to Ferguson, Burroughs and Gwynn Park Senior (after they rezoned if I recall correctly).

That's right, But if I remember correctly, I think they may have lived on Taylor Court off Taylor Avenue. There was a VFW on Livingston Road up from where the Super Chief Drive-In used to be and my Dad was a member there as was Mr. Bowers.

I went to Fort Washington Forest Elementary (4th thru 6th grades), then to Burroughs when it first opened (7th thru 9th), and then to Oxon Hill. I knew a bunch of kids that lived there in that neighborhood.

Last edited:

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
I grew up in Waldorf, going to Iverson Mall was a big deal because Waldorf didn't have anywhere to shop then.

:lmao: I remember momma taking me there( to Iverson Mall) to get my sassoon, Gitano and Jordache jeans for school....
ohhh,,ohhhh and my L.A. Gear shoes

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I remember the old Hechinger's on Branch Ave. going south. It had those strange red things facing Branch Ave. It was something else before it was Hechinger's. Does anyone remember what it was?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
:lmao: I remember momma taking me there( to Iverson Mall) to get my sassoon, Gitano and Jordache jeans for school....

I would make a special trip into Delaware when we went to OC for vacation and get mine. We stayed on Fenwick Island and could walk to Delaware for some tax free school shopping. :lmao:

papoose

pool on Taylor?

That's right, But if I remember correctly, I think they may have lived on Taylor Court off Taylor Avenue. There was a VFW on Livingston Road up from where the Super Chief Drive-In used to be and my Dad was a member there as was Mr. Bowers.

I went to Fort Washington Forest Elementary (4th thru 6th grades), then to Burroughs when it first opened (7th thru 9th), and then to Oxon Hill. I knew a bunch of kids that lived there in that neighborhood.

Wasn't there a pool on Taylor? That's where several of my closest friends lived. I met them at Burroughs but I don't remember when Burroughs opened. I went there in 73-75 maybe?

chrissyhh

Me too, thats where my Mom always took us. Do you remember the Chinese Rest. that was down stairs by the overpass? I think is was called Pagoda 7, they had the best Chinese food, and we always got "special drinks" there with fancy umbrellas.

atrusomder

Isaiah 55:8-9
oh yeah and what about the old Zayre's. I remember going there to get x-mas gifts.
And the old Bradley's too..

I know a little :offtopic: being the thread was talking about the 60's..

papoose

oh yeah and what about the old Zayre's. I remember going there to get x-mas gifts.
And the old Bradley's too..

I know a little :offtopic: being the thread was talking about the 60's..

was the Zayre's in Allentown Mall? I seem to recall a Chesapeake Bay Seafood House and something else across from it. Another food place but I cannot remember the name of it.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
was the Zayre's in Allentown Mall? I seem to recall a Chesapeake Bay Seafood House and something else across from it. Another food place but I cannot remember the name of it.

I remember the Chesapeake Bay Seafood House. I ate there many times. I remember Bradleys and thinking those funny things outside looked like giant finger nails.