Guinea Pigs

LordStanley

I know nothing
Speaking of hay, I found the perfect solution to all the hay mess I used to have. I started buying the Timothy Hay pellets made for horses in 40 (or is it 50) lb bags. I would pour them into a Rubbermaid bin to store them and 1 bag would last a LONG time, not to mention the cost was a small fraction of what I was paying in the pet stores for small bags of hay.

The hay pellets are hard enough that they help the pigs keep their teeth nicely worn so they don't end up with over-grown teeth. Piggies can not eat much Alfalfa so no Timothy/Alfalfa mixed pellets, ONLY Timothy or Orchard pellets can be used for the piggies.

One important tip about the health of guinea pigs is to be sure to ONLY use bedding with no tree oils, especially pine. Aspen was a good one to use or Carefresh bedding, but Aspen was less expensive.

Most piggies that die under age 4 is usually due to improper nutrition. Every piggy I had lived for 6 or more years with me, even the shelter piggies that I had no idea how old they were to begin with. If you feel them the proper foods and give them the space they need, they can live from 4 to 8 years old.

Let's stop talking about piggies before I end up going to the shelter to save a few more .....

Ive been using Kiln dried Aspen Flake I found at Dysons lumber in the C&C cage I made. Its a lot less expensive than what you get from Petco. However Im giving the Fleece liner with puppy pads underneath another try. The boys seem to like the fleece better. And its somewhat easier to clean.

We feed ours Wild Harvest Vitimen C fortified pellets and Timothy Hay with marigolds. We've tried fresh fruit and veggies, but they turn skip over it... Grapes, tomatoes, bananas, apples and romaine are all turned down.

Nothing but happy piggies at our house

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Ive been using Kiln dried Aspen Flake I found at Dysons lumber in the C&C cage I made. Its a lot less expensive than what you get from Petco. However Im giving the Fleece liner with puppy pads underneath another try. The boys seem to like the fleece better. And its somewhat easier to clean.

We feed ours Wild Harvest Vitimen C fortified pellets and Timothy Hay with marigolds. We've tried fresh fruit and veggies, but they turn skip over it... Grapes, tomatoes, bananas, apples and romaine are all turned down.

Nothing but happy piggies at our house

Wow I am surprised they don't want veggies - that is odd. best Piggy food I've used so far is Oxbow. Runs about $14 a bag at Petsmart. I am NOT getting any more piggies .... I am NOT getting any more piggies .....

SoMDGirl42

Wow I am surprised they don't want veggies - that is odd. best Piggy food I've used so far is Oxbow. Runs about $14 a bag at Petsmart. I am NOT getting any more piggies .... I am NOT getting any more piggies .....

Please post pics when you get them all settled in :biggrin: