Gun Club/Range Recommendations

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I'm a former member of the St. Charles Sportsman's club (loved their facilities) and haven't been able to get at and shoot in recent years. I have a new .22 carbine I'd like to play with, plus a few others that would be fun to reawaken. Any recommendations? PG county is too far away for me. I'm in Southern Calvert.

Pushrod

Patriot
I'm a former member of the St. Charles Sportsman's club (loved their facilities) and haven't been able to get at and shoot in recent years. I have a new .22 carbine I'd like to play with, plus a few others that would be fun to reawaken. Any recommendations? PG county is too far away for me. I'm in Southern Calvert.

Have you looked into Sanner's Lake Sportsman Club in St. Mary's?

dustin

UAIOE
I'll 2nd Myrtle Grove.

Weekends there are busy though. I suggest going during normal working hours during a week day to avoid waiting for a lane to open.

Pushrod

Patriot
Sanner's is shut down.

That's not true. They are changing some policies to get the ranges back up and running regularly, but in the meantime they have been having IDPA matches, shotgun matches, etc....

The price for the membership is going to double though.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's not true. They are changing some policies to get the ranges back up and running regularly, but in the meantime they have been having IDPA matches, shotgun matches, etc....

The price for the membership is going to double though.

Double to what? And will the waiting list disappear? (The one that renders the oft-repeated suggestion "join Sanners Lake" perennially meaningless because nobody actually can join....:whistle:)

Pushrod

Patriot
Double to what? And will the waiting list disappear? (The one that renders the oft-repeated suggestion "join Sanners Lake" perennially meaningless because nobody actually can join....:whistle:)

Supposidly $250.00 per year. I don't know if the waiting list is going away, but I kind of doubt it. A lot more strict rules have been voted on for range use also. I'm not sure if I am going to renew my membership, especially since a new range in Clements, St. Mary's County is in the planning stages and will contain a rumored 1000 yard rifle range.

MrZ06

I love Texas Road House
Unfortunately Myrtle grove is the only public range around here and it isn't that close.

meddauna

Supposidly $250.00 per year. I don't know if the waiting list is going away, but I kind of doubt it. A lot more strict rules have been voted on for range use also. I'm not sure if I am going to renew my membership, especially since a new range in Clements, St. Mary's County is in the planning stages and will contain a rumored 1000 yard rifle range.
yea, i read that thread on md shooters, lets hope that place opens fast. they can have basic lanes open while they build a clubhouse.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

In Clements?..I've been following the 'saga' of the one that will hopefully open up just north of Callaway. There is another potential one?

I sure hope we do see a few more open up.

I can shoot on my property but seldom do any more; got tired of the 'not-from-here' townies that moved on the island calling the police every time. I'll set up the trap every once in a while and bust a few clays and that is about it. Same with the hunting club I belong to in 7D..other than hunting the only other shooting we do there is skeet.

I only get to do any real practicing when we head up to NW Virginia where the campground we stay at has an open shooting range.

Pushrod

Patriot
In Clements?..I've been following the 'saga' of the one that will hopefully open up just north of Callaway. There is another potential one?

I can shoot on my property but seldom do any more; got tired of the 'not-from-here' townies that moved on the island calling the police every time. I'll set up the trap every once in a while and bust a few clays and that is about it. Same with the hunting club I belong to in 7D..other than hunting the only other shooting we do there is skeet.

I only get to do any real practicing when we head up to NW Virginia where the campground we stay at has an open shooting range.

No, I'm sure that is the one. I just had Clements in my mind for some reason. Sorry.

bohman

yea, i read that thread on md shooters, lets hope that place opens fast. they can have basic lanes open while they build a clubhouse.

No, I'm sure that is the one. I just had Clements in my mind for some reason. Sorry.

Please keep us in the loop here. I'd like to buy something for target shooting soon, but if it's going to be difficult to find somewhere to shoot - maybe not.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick

The Carrington section of Waldorf is great after sundown.

TreeRat

Always a Good Target
It's $180.00 for 2012/2013 with some much needed changes in screening members, range conduct and infrastructure improvements. The club took 59 wait list candidates last year and have raised the membership cap to 600 this year. So there is a great chance for new members this year but of course you have to actually apply instead of biatch.

Expectation the club will be fully operational again this summer and better than ever in so many respects. I wouldn't advise tossing your slot and rolling the dice on something else that doesn't exist but then that's just me.

TR

Last edited:

Vince

That's the reason I'm going to move out in the sticks when I retire. My own shooting range and no neighbors to complain. If any complain, tough sh##. And I'll be sure to check all the local laws before I move anywhere.