Handgun Caliber Question

Cletus_Vandam

I am getting very close to buying another handgun. This time I'm going for the true "hand-cannon".

I am looking at the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.

It can be had in .44 mag; .454 casull/.45 colt, or .480.

If I had to guess, the .480 would seemed like it should have the greatest knockdown potential, but the .44 mag is a much more common round.

I any of you out there had the option of any of the three calibers, which would it be?

TIA.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Cletus_Vandam said:
I am getting very close to buying another handgun. This time I'm going for the true "hand-cannon".

If I had to guess, the .480 would seemed like it should have the greatest knockdown potential, but the .44 mag is a much more common round.

I any of you out there had the option of any of the three calibers, which would it be?

TIA.
.44 mag I love my Blackhawk. :yay:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Cletus_Vandam said:

TIA.
Depends, how fast and how accurate do you want your second shot to be?

I've never seen anyone double tap a .44 magnum..

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
itsbob said:

Why would you need a second shot? :confused:

Cletus_Vandam

LordStanley said:
.50 desert Eagle!

That's nice, but not worth the $1000, plus price tag.

The Ruger can be had for around $650. The Ruger is also a much smaller frame and a lot easier to for concealed carry.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Dutch6 said:
Why would you need a second shot? :confused:
Because you shoot, and you continue to shoot until the danger is passed.. a single shot from ANY handgun is not going to stop an intruder drugged out of his mind.. AND the chances are in the excitement of the moment your first shot is going to go high and wide. Rarely is the first shot the kill shot.

AND if you miss the first shot, and he's coming in the door, the time it takes to get the sights back to dead center, he may be on top of you and getting ready to empty the chamber of YOUR gun into YOUR chest.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:

Who "double taps" a revolver, Arnold Schwartzenfinger?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
Who "double taps" a revolver, Arnold Schwartzenfinger?
.44 Magnum doesn't just come in a Revolver.. though the BlackHawk and RedHawk are.

AND a good reason not to carry a wheel gun..

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
.44 Magnum doesn't just come in a Revolver.. though the BlackHawk and RedHawk are.
He said Ruger Redhawk. which one is the single action, Blackhawk?

Cletus_Vandam

LordStanley said:
Are you looking at the 2 1/2 inch!!!! Thats going to be one hell of a kick. There is nothing to the firearm, to absorb the recoil of any round shot through it.!

http://www.shootingtimes.com/handgun_reviews/rgrRH/

You better hope you hit the target on the first shot. Setting up for the second, wont be quick!

Yes, as far as I know they only come in the one configuration-stainless with snub-nose barrel. It is single or double action to answer the previous question.

As far as kick, I'm sure it will be something... But I'm also pretty sure that Ruger wouldn't be putting something out there for sale in the market place that was dangerous or uncontrollable.

Comparing this to a Dirty Harry or Rick Simon [Simon and Simon] cannon, this thing will be a breeze to go concealed carry.

As far as hitting with the second round... In the heat of someone entering your house and rushing you, who's to say that your going to even get to a gun before the intruder gets to you... Regardless of the handgun, if you have to ask the question of what would you rather have as your first round a .44 mag or a .38, I'd have to go bigger every time, regardless. Who knows if you'll even have time for a second round?

Dukesdad

Cletus_Vandam said:

TIA.
What do you want one of those for? They couldn't be good for anything other than a few feet away. I mean what would you use it for? it couldn't be fun to shoot.