Handgun Caliber Question

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
itsbob said:
Because you shoot, and you continue to shoot until the danger is passed.. a single shot from ANY handgun is not going to stop an intruder drugged out of his mind.. AND the chances are in the excitement of the moment your first shot is going to go high and wide. Rarely is the first shot the kill shot.

AND if you miss the first shot, and he's coming in the door, the time it takes to get the sights back to dead center, he may be on top of you and getting ready to empty the chamber of YOUR gun into YOUR chest.
I don't miss and even if I did by chance only wing them these jacketed hollow points in .44 mag will remove many body parts. I don't need a second shot but may do it to make them stop quivering.

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Pete said:
He said Ruger Redhawk. which one is the single action, Blackhawk?
Yes the Blackhawk is single action and mine has a 10 1/2" barrel. Basically a hand held rifle.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Dutch6 said:
I don't miss and even if I did by chance only wing them these jacketed hollow points in .44 mag will remove many body parts. I don't need a second shot but may do it to make them stop quivering.

Dutch with all due respect I think you are over estimating a bit.

The .480 would be a lot of fun! :lol: Had my first opportunity to shoot a .460 - it was awesome! Short trigger pull. :yay:

We are looking at a .45. Bigger and better. :lol:

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
teverheart2002 said:
The .480 would be a lot of fun! :lol: Had my first opportunity to shoot a .460 - it was awesome! Short trigger pull. :yay:

We are looking at a .45. Bigger and better. :lol:
Sprinfield Armory 1911-A1. :yay:

jrt_ms1995

.454/.45lc

I'd suggest, in order:

1. .454 Casull/.45 LC - practice with the .45LC, starting with Cowboy Action Shooting loads, moving up. The LC loads will be less expensive and are likely available around here without problems. .45LC would also be more than adequate for home defense. Buy the Casull rounds and try them out eventually.

2. .44Mag/.44 Special - practice with the .44 Special, assuming you can find any. Should also be some reduced loadings of .44 Magnum available somewhere, though you might have to special or mail-order them.

3. .480 - Practice is important, and you likely won't want to endure the physical or fiscal costs of practicing with this.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If you'd rather have...

Cletus_Vandam said:
I am getting very close to buying another handgun. This time I'm going for the true "hand-cannon".

I am looking at the Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan.

It can be had in .44 mag; .454 casull/.45 colt, or .480.

If I had to guess, the .480 would seemed like it should have the greatest knockdown potential, but the .44 mag is a much more common round.

I any of you out there had the option of any of the three calibers, which would it be?

TIA.

...a real gun instead of one of those nickle plated sissy pistols you listed;

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2005/01/the_maadi_griff.html

:lmao:

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
Larry Gude said:
...the nuclear powered sidearm pointed down range, even when it is unloaded.

Safety first, last and always.
We could use a few of those in Iraq.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I got Vrail one of these...

...for her purse.

(That's me before I had done my hair)

Attachments

• pursegun.jpg
    pursegun.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 67