Harry Potter...

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Fascinating how we can start discussing Harry Potter and delve into the whole meaning of Christianity...

Does anyone remember the protests when "Monty Python's Life of Brian" came out in 1979? Amazing similarities with the Harry Potter controversy.

Many people who condemned "Life of Brian" as being anti-Christian had not seen the film. Now, I have a lot of respect for people who choose books and movies based on their beliefs. But shouldn't those choices be INFORMED choices? With "Life of Brian," many of the protesters told outright lies about the movie's characters and storyline. One great howler was William F. Buckley's claim that a character named Monty Python was crucified in the finale.

I won't pass judgment on Harry Potter, having never read the books. I would at least check the books out for myself before taking someone else's word that the books promote Satanism. Think if you had written a novel and people were attacking it without reading it. How would you feel?

BudoPo

Actually, Aalgar is correct.  Christmas and Easter were originally Pagan holidays.  They were adopted by Christianity (shortly after Rome converted officially to Christianity, if I recall correctly) in part to help convert Pagan populations.  Basically, there was still debate over Jesus' exact birth date, and the Winter Solstice (Saturnia I believe was the Roman holiday, but I'm not sure) was a very popular, festive holiday.  So, by officially making Christmas  coincident with the solstice holiday, they were more easily able to convert Pagans to Christianity (ie, they could convert, and still keep their holiday).  Same goes for Easter, except that it relates to the Spring Equinox.

On a separate note, some people on this thread seem to associate Wicca with Satanism.  The two have nothing to do with each other.

PmoneyandTT

christmas was based on a man called St. Nicholas he was a preacher.
He lived in myra - which is now in turkey.
During the persecution of christians by Emperor Diocletian he was imprisoned. but was released by constantine the great.

He was a devoted bishop. And this in turned spread through the christian world he was chosen saint of Russia and Greece.  He died Dec 6 year 345.  So the christians set a feast day on his death day to celebrate.. He was revered for his generosity, also became custom  to give gifts to loved ones.

Easter was already celebrated by christians - this was for the purpose of Jesus resurrection. Pagans - brought in the easter bunny.. That wasn't celebrated over 2000 years ago..

jimmy

Drunkard
No, TT, it's pretty much an undisputed fact that the date of Dec 25th as the celebration for Christ's birthday WAS meant to coincide with current pagan holiday which was gaining popularity at the time. What you gave was the history of Santa Claus.

And BudoPo is right on the Easter thing as well. Again, the CELEBRATION of the ressurected Christ was set around the time of the equinox so that, again, they could cash-in on the already poplular pagan celebration...what you gave was a history of the Easter Bunny.