Has Anybody Gone? Crow Hunting

ylexot

Super Genius
JMHO-I just don't get why some have to dominate the animal kingdom by killing off species randomly for our own selfish pleasure-maybe when y'all get older and mature a little you'll "get it"-hopefully some creatures great and small; will still be around by then.

Nobody is killing off anything. Being someone who professes to be older and more mature, you should know to learn about a topic before you form an opinion.

Do you support spaying and neutering to help control the pet population? Hunting performs the same function for the wild animal population.

ylexot

Super Genius
JMHO-I just don't get why some have to dominate the animal kingdom by killing off species randomly for our own selfish pleasure-maybe when y'all get older and mature a little you'll "get it"-hopefully some creatures great and small; will still be around by then.

BTW, what is your position on snakehead fish and nutria?

T

toppick08

Gypsy moths......and bar dogs....should also be done away with....

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day

Attachments

• crowtools.gif
    crowtools.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 115

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I met a man in Utah that owns a Pistachio farm.. They can eradicate an entire crop of Pistachios in a season.

He's got HUNDREDS of stories about crow hunting, and apparently they're pretty damn smart.

He lives a way away from his plantation, and the crows always have someone in overwatch flying high above.. Whenever the crow sees a particular truck leave the house (he normally uses his pick up, not his sedan or farm truck to go kill the crows) the crow in overwatch will sound a warning, and by the time he gets to the trees they are all flying overhead.. where he can't reach them.

He also said they react to warnings.. You kill a crow, leave it, and the rest won't come back for awhile.. Pick it up, and they'll be back the next day. Like the pictures shows the dead crow hanging on string.. Similar our Heads on A Pie.. apparently crows can take a clue too!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What's the point in killing them? They are admirable, intelligent, beautiful birds who have historically figured prominently in many cultures and religions. Only an idiot goes around killing creatures for the sake of killing - idiots like humans. But, what goes around, comes around.

OOH, you're that stupid nut animal lovin lady..

What the hell was her name.. :doh:

That's ok.. I'll just keep it simple and call you Moron..

oldman

Lobster Land
I have a small flock of crows that I put out table scraps for. I just enjoy watching them. They are pretty intelligent as they come by daily to see if anything has been left out for them and they are also very leery. They will sit in a tree for quite a while to make sure nothing is around before finally coming down to dine. They also have a pecking order normally with the biggest as leader. That one eats first while the others wait. Watching nature fascinates me although I am not anti-hunting.

somdshootnet

Since you know not of what you speak, it would behoove you to STFU. We couldn't "kill off" crows if we tried. Go do some research then attempt an intelligent dialog. Right now you fail.

Bravo, excellent reply. It's the anti-hunters who the most ignorance of the situations they speak of, we know this is fact by the comments they leave. I wish vegetarians would stop killing and eating all of the fresh vegetables they eat, those plants provide my oxygen I need to breath, poor, poor, harmless, defenseless, little vegetables.

somdshootnet

I have a small flock of crows that I put out table scraps for. I just enjoy watching them. They are pretty intelligent as they come by daily to see if anything has been left out for them and they are also very leery. They will sit in a tree for quite a while to make sure nothing is around before finally coming down to dine. They also have a pecking order normally with the biggest as leader. That one eats first while the others wait. Watching nature fascinates me although I am not anti-hunting.

Spoken like a true gentleman who understands the working of the world. I feed my squirrels here at my home as well, and I have come to learn that they are quite intelligent animals as well, and although I am a squirrel hunter too, I can still respect the animals for their fun, intelligence, & cuteness AND the fact that Humans are meat eaters and we like a variety of food sources.

somdshootnet

No one individual has the right to make the decision to eliminate birds even if they think they are pests.:smack:

Mr. Steed... This is just about the most stupid and uneducated ignorant comment I have ever heard regarding hunting related matters.

You need to zip your lips before you say anything else that will get you stoned for being stupid of the facts and go read up on population control and methods. Hunting seasons and hunting regulations are here for the same reason that the Japanese government has mandatory birth control in their country now, there's too damned many of something around and something has to be done. An entire country of people is responsible for finalizing regulations over everything, not one person. Yeah I agree, you need boobs and beer fella... fast.

somdshootnet

OK, so a buddy of mine and myself went out to a few farms we hunt this afternoon and nothing, seen a few crows fly by, electronic calls and mouth calling once again proved of no value to our daily harvest / kill numbers.

So, I question if anyone has been having this problem with the birds paying no attention to what you are doing to trick them into coming in close. It's as if they could not care a single percent that you have everything laid out for them, they just fly on by unphased.

wch

OK, so a buddy of mine and myself went out to a few farms we hunt this afternoon and nothing, seen a few crows fly by, electronic calls and mouth calling once again proved of no value to our daily harvest / kill numbers.

So, I question if anyone has been having this problem with the birds paying no attention to what you are doing to trick them into coming in close. It's as if they could not care a single percent that you have everything laid out for them, they just fly on by unphased.

Have you tried a pile of corn and decoy's
Cabela's -- GreenHead Gear® Flocked Crow Decoys

somdshootnet

Have you tried a pile of corn and decoy's
Cabela's -- GreenHead Gear® Flocked Crow Decoys

Yeah I have the decoys and some other tricks, but, this is why I find it so interesting that the crows have no interest in anything. I am far from being new to crow hunting, been doing it for 35 years, but, I have never seen crows with no interest in anything at all. My experience has always been crows with a mission to find out what my decoys are doing, but, nothing at all with them in the past 2 weeks.

Yeah I have the decoys and some other tricks, but, this is why I find it so interesting that the crows have no interest in anything. I am far from being new to crow hunting, been doing it for 35 years, but, I have never seen crows with no interest in anything at all. My experience has always been crows with a mission to find out what my decoys are doing, but, nothing at all with them in the past 2 weeks.

I have made my own CD's with calls and they work pretty good - I have to see if I have them. You can over-call them as well... Crows are very leery...

You have to find their roost and follow their flight path. You have to rotate hunts around the flight paths as well, do not hunt the same flight path for more than once, give it about 3 weeks rest.

Decoys - you can over decoy as well... it is a touch and go type of experience. From what I understand the best decoy to use are dead crows. Once you bust a few of them let them lay - I have never tried this, but will check back with my source on this.

Here is a great start for you D, maybe I can hook up with you before the season runs out. :buddies: Crow Busters - The Complete Resource For Crow Hunting and the Crow Hunter

MissKitty

Mr. Steed and Fubar gave the crows a link to this thread and they're onto you. :lol: