St. Mary's Co. Have the local PoPo turned their back on SA Richard Fritz in favor of Sterling

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Other than the smell, the noise, the strangers coming to the community to work, the critical area water run off the septic for 25 to 100 workers , the lights on all night lit up like a stadium, and the fear of the aquifer being dried up from water use , yeah why not? Not to include the property values in the close area turning to sht.
Yeah why not? So a few Millionaires mostly from out of state can get richer. Because this has gone far beyond the original investors and the big bucks are in it now.

And you are talking crap if you think anyone would accept this monstrosity into their community which is rural and quiet and those factors were a major reason for their living there.
The smell of green stuff growing? I can handle that
The noise? What noise, trucks going in and out possibly.
Strangers coming in to work. I can't see a valid complaint here
The critical area water runoff? I guess you're talking about the impermeability of the parking area and the roof? if so that's easily managed by a storm water management pond.
The septic for 25-100 workers? If a mound is sufficiently sized it's not an issue, otherwise a septic pump out station.
The lights on all night? I'll give you this one, people being what they are somebody is going to want free stuff.
The aquifer being dried up? I'd imagine that a facility this size would reclaim most of the water that they use just as a matter of economics. it gets expensive to pump hundreds of thousands of gallons from several hundred feet below ground.
This really looks like a low impact type of business for a rural area, but I don't live out there so I haven't got a dog in this fight.

Hijinx

Green stuff growing and the smell of Marijuana growing are much different.
The noise? There are 20 blowers the size of a semi-trailer that will be running to filter the smell and to add climate air of heat and AC to the building. By the way if it didn't stink why would they filter the air with 2o huge blowers.

This is the first building there are planes to build others and hire more employees , up to 100, and they will be low paid employees in 3 shifts , the place will be operating 24/7 so they will be coming and going at night. Passing along the community. The soil here is clay, it doesn't perk They don't have enough land in that 25 acres for a mound that large. They will reclaim the water the plants are grown in, but they cannot reclaim the water the plants use and 100,000 plants will use a lot of water. They have installed 2--- 6 Inch wells and a $250,000 dollar filtration plant, if they don't intend to use a lot of water. WHY? Now they are digging up Rt242's shoulders to put in an underground electric wire to carry enough power to run the blowers and the pumps at a cost of 12 Million dollars. One would assume they will also put in a generator although I have no idea about that. I do know big money from out of state is now involved in this, the original investors haven't got that kind of bread.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Green stuff growing and the smell of Marijuana growing are much different.
The noise? There are 20 blowers the size of a semi-trailer that will be running to filter the smell and to add climate air of heat and AC to the building. By the way if it didn't stink why would they filter the air with 2o huge blowers.

This is the first building there are planes to build others and hire more employees , up to 100, and they will be low paid employees in 3 shifts , the place will be operating 24/7 so they will be coming and going at night. Passing along the community. The soil here is clay, it doesn't perk They don't have enough land in that 25 acres for a mound that large. They will reclaim the water the plants are grown in, but they cannot reclaim the water the plants use and 100,000 plants will use a lot of water. They have installed 2--- 6 Inch wells and a $250,000 dollar filtration plant, if they don't intend to use a lot of water. WHY? Now they are digging up Rt242's shoulders to put in an underground electric wire to carry enough power to run the blowers and the pumps at a cost of 12 Million dollars. One would assume they will also put in a generator although I have no idea about that. I do know big money from out of state is now involved in this, the original investors haven't got that kind of bread.
I assume that marijuana growing is similar to the smell of hemp and I've not noticed any objectional smell from that (the eastern shore hemp farm). As far as the blowers I'm assuming it's more of a heat and AC thing over an air filtration system and this does make sense, the product is being grown for a "medical" purpose so consistency is paramount. I don't think the place is going to go low bid on hiring employees, that's just a recipe for product walking out of the door.
I agree that there's going to be some issues you do have some valid points, but they did buy property and they do have the right to use it as they see fit.

Hijinx

I assume that marijuana growing is similar to the smell of hemp and I've not noticed any objectional smell from that (the eastern shore hemp farm). As far as the blowers I'm assuming it's more of a heat and AC thing over an air filtration system and this does make sense, the product is being grown for a "medical" purpose so consistency is paramount. I don't think the place is going to go low bid on hiring employees, that's just a recipe for product walking out of the door.
I agree that there's going to be some issues you do have some valid points, but they did buy property and they do have the right to use it as they see fit.
Did you ever hear of zoning? Did you ever hear of Critical area?
If you think you can own a piece of property and have a right to use it as you see fit you are terribly naïve.

Reactions: TPD

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Yes I know of zoning laws, I also know that if they ran afoul of them they wouldn’t be at this point.

Hijinx

Yes I know of zoning laws, I also know that if they ran afoul of them they wouldn’t be at this point.
The fact is according to the State of Maryland the people living close to this site had a right to a hearing before the build. We got no hearing the whole thing was kept a major secret until it was too late. The State foolishly called this commercial enterprise an Agricultural project, which means they will be taxed as Agriculture and the County will get nothing out of it but bad roads and bad reviews. The thing as anyone can see belonged in an industrial setting, not in a rural community. Even the State said so, but State was ignored and the building went ahead. If you would stop making assumptions and attend the hearings on this thing you might learn something. Dr, Morgan who started the financing for the small site that was originally planned has a nice home on St. Clements Bay not far away from this site and probably cares a lot about his property values while he apparently doesn't give a hoot about the property values of the people living next to this thing. Money is what this whole thing is about.

glhs837

Power with Control
The way I heard it is that Fritz's office is the one doing the investigating of the FOP shenanigans.

Hows this sound?

1. Fritz hears he aint getting no endrosement.
2. Fritz knows that will look bad.
3. Fritz cobbles enough shady sounding stuff to start an investigation, or get the MD AG start one.
4. Doesnt matter if its goes anywhere or not, gives him the top cover for the lack of endorsement..
5. Bonus points becuase he gets to shade Sterling indirectly.....

buddscreek

Hows this sound?

1. Fritz hears he aint getting no endrosement.
2. Fritz knows that will look bad.
3. Fritz cobbles enough shady sounding stuff to start an investigation, or get the MD AG start one.
4. Doesnt matter if its goes anywhere or not, gives him the top cover for the lack of endorsement..
5. Bonus points becuase he gets to shade Sterling indirectly.....
my understanding is fritz knew nothing of the investigation until it was done and placed on his desk. the investigation was done by the sheriffs office. there was a complaint that started the investigation.