Headlamp & Clip-on Light Recommendations?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I was looking online for headlamp & clip-on lights, but am put off by the many items that don't say what the light out-put is.

Any recommendations for brands or specific models to consider?? I tend to be skeptical of the rechargeable types (don't sem to last after a few recharges), so I prefer the regular battery operated types with replaceable lamps.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I was looking online for headlamp & clip-on lights, but am put off by the many items that don't say what the light out-put is.

Any recommendations for brands or specific models to consider?? I tend to be skeptical of the rechargeable types (don't sem to last after a few recharges), so I prefer the regular battery operated types with replaceable lamps.

How much light do you need? I picked up an LED headlamp at the outdoor store at the Annaplois mall. Perfect for working on the bike.. and if it ever broke down at night, be great for working at night on the side of the road. VERY small.. lightweight.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You're over thinking a simple purchase. I have 2 Energizer 3AAA headlamps with 6 light settings (including a red lens) that I may have paid 9-10 bucks for.:shrug: They come in extremely handy when out camping and for working in dark spaces.

This should be all you need unless you plan on doing some mining, spelunking or coon hunting.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
What brand/model?

Won't matter how much light I have in FRONT of me if the Mountain Lion jumps me from behind ... but basically I need to see as far as I can in the dark to feel comfortable.

I was fine doing farm chores outside in the dark for years until I found out we have Mountain Lions around. If I had not seen it for myself I might be less wary, but I saw one in my own backyard so I KNOW they're here.

How much light do you need? I picked up an LED headlamp at the outdoor store at the Annaplois mall. Perfect for working on the bike.. and if it ever broke down at night, be great for working at night on the side of the road. VERY small.. lightweight.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Kom, women NEVER over-think anything ... :smoochy:

I know there are a multitude of options on the market, but I would prefer to buy something that will provide good light and last.

I went through the same thing when buying those plug-in nightlights - some provide very little light - I'd like to get a brighter light in the headlamp and clip on lights.

You're over thinking a simple purchase. I have 2 Energizer 3AAA headlamps with 6 light settings (including a red lens) that I may have paid 9-10 bucks for.:shrug: They come in extremely handy when out camping and for working in dark spaces.

This should be all you need unless you plan on doing some mining, spelunking or coon hunting.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
What brand/model?

Won't matter how much light I have in FRONT of me if the Mountain Lion jumps me from behind ... but basically I need to see as far as I can in the dark to feel comfortable.

I was fine doing farm chores outside in the dark for years until I found out we have Mountain Lions around. If I had not seen it for myself I might be less wary, but I saw one in my own backyard so I KNOW they're here.
This is the one I have, haven't had to use the highest setting yet and the the flasher is kind of cool. Also, I've had it for 2 years now and haven't had to replace the batteries yet.
Cabela's: Petzl TacTikka Plus LED Headlamp - Black

bulldog

Check Lowes. I got a camo ball cap from Lowes that has 3 lights built into the edge of the brim with the switch sewn into the brim. 1 push you get one light, another push you get two lights and a third push you get all 3. Works really well and has been plenty bright enough to walk out of the woods with at dark.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
sounds great ....... thanks

Check Lowes. I got a camo ball cap from Lowes that has 3 lights built into the edge of the brim with the switch sewn into the brim. 1 push you get one light, another push you get two lights and a third push you get all 3. Works really well and has been plenty bright enough to walk out of the woods with at dark.

RPMDAD

Ark i am just curious here is this about mountain lions/cougars. Don't get me wrong i am not arguing with you years ago in in Calvert i debated people on coyotes being here and i have seen them, just haven't seen a big cat down here yet or any sign of them yet. If i were you and that worried about them i would carry a side arm of some sort.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My adult son saw the "Black Panther" a few years ago walking just several feet into the woods from where I walked in the back yard. I was wary after that but then about a year ago he pointed out the window to the same big cat that was walking the same path ... I looked out the window and saw it and was like WOW and then ran outside to catch up to it in the woods behind the house then realized the error and stopped. Just what was I going to do if I caught up to it?

They follow the SAME paths as I was told, AND I also suspected that based on my critter reactions every few months as (what I assumed was) the big cat passed through my part of its territory ....

Ok so carrying my gun while on private property would be alright, and I'd just have to HOPE I was able to USE it with a big cat on my back with it's jaws on my head/neck? They use the element of surprise which is what makes them such successful hunters. Better to be armed than not of course. But at 5 feet tall and weighing LESS than the big cat, I better hope I see IT first.

Ark i am just curious here is this about mountain lions/cougars. Don't get me wrong i am not arguing with you years ago in in Calvert i debated people on coyotes being here and i have seen them, just haven't seen a big cat down here yet or any sign of them yet. If i were you and that worried about them i would carry a side arm of some sort.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Years ago, I bought one that had a 3 LED + halogen combo; the LEDs work best up close while the halogen could shift from spot to wide angle for longer range.

I guess halogens are no longer marketable because I looked in a couple places and could not find them. :lol: Mine is a Petzl and still works well, although the battery pack can be annoying.

If you are really spooked and want to be able to see EVERYTHING, this one can shoot light beyond a football field's length. :howdy:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
wow now that's a great one !!! Uh oh the flashlight fetish in me is stirring ....

I think something with less power would work for me. I learned real fast you can't use headlamps in the Summer. :frown:

Years ago, I bought one that had a 3 LED + halogen combo; the LEDs work best up close while the halogen could shift from spot to wide angle for longer range.

I guess halogens are no longer marketable because I looked in a couple places and could not find them. :lol: Mine is a Petzl and still works well, although the battery pack can be annoying.

If you are really spooked and want to be able to see EVERYTHING, this one can shoot light beyond a football field's length. :howdy:

thurley42

HY;FR

That's all we ever used was Petzl's....I still have one that I take out sometimes....good stuff...:buddies:

:shrug: Couple of 500 watt floodlamps and a small generator on wheels? If the light doesn't protect you, the noise will.....