Hello, new to forum and loads of questions!

DFSquare

Hello everyone! :howdy:

I'm Dawn. We moved here from Germany in January. We found a house in Indian Head back in March. I've been reading this board since November of last year, when I found out we'd be coming here.

Since moving in, I've been trying to wrap my brain around the lesson fees. I'd like to start by saying: :faint::bawl:

I sent a few emails from Germany and about passed out. Some of the responses I received were kind and some were rather rude. But in the end, they were all about the same price.

I have taken my boys out to see Kelley at Bristol's Heart. She is a very nice lady with some very nice horses. She even has reasonable rates. I was looking forward to the boys riding there while I did a half lease but they choose football for the fall. ARGH!

Thru the months of reading this board I feel I know you all, even tho I've never posted. I see a lot of helpful, honest information and I'm hoping that if I lay out our situation some of you will be able to provide honest, tho gentle, feedback. <deep breath> So here goes:

We homeschool so our hours are very flexible (days being preferable). My boys are 10 & 12. They can halter, tie, groom, tack, and walk/trot. They had 2 sessions in Germany of cantering, but I'd like them to back up a bit as I think they were moving too fast. I want sound basics for my boys. We ride English because that's what I know so that's what I can teach.

I taught a homeschool class for 10 weeks that started with "this is a horse". We did anatomy, some very basic husbandry and stable management. I would have liked to do more stable management but the German husband was very precise about bedding and feed. We did tack care, grooming and how to tack up your own horse. I'm a huge believer in doing it themselves safely and correctly. The actual riding instruction was done by the barn's staff. I provided English translation and a physical model as necessary. (ok, some days my horse and I showed the students what NOT to do)

We were very fortunate in that many days we met at the barn, the farrier was there. So the students got to watch and learn first hand, not just what I was teaching with my worksheets. *one day the farrier sent each student home w/a shoe from whichever horse they each were using for lessons* Very cool!

We had "book learning" on Fridays and then rode on Saturdays. By the end of the 10 weeks they were all doing pretty well as walk/trot.

We do NOT want to show, which seems to be a huge focus here. I keep being told the high fees are due a result of all the trainers either showing themselves or training the students to show.

I would like the boys to be proficient at w/t/c so we can eventually trail ride together. In Germany we had different trails for different abilities. The students had the most fun on sunny days on the trails (don't we all?). I want to share that with my boys.

I have thought about leasing and teaching the boys myself. I have enough knowlege and experience to be able to bring them a bit farther along, but truthfully, we could only afford 1 lease, so I'm only teaching one at a time. And then when do I get to ride? Plus, would they really listen to mom about riding? Probably not after listening to me all day about school work.

My husband said there's no way I'd survive! At this point we've not ridden (with the exception of the one day at Kelley's) since last October and I've having major withdrawls!!!!

I have talked to a few homeschoolers in our group and there is some interest in lessons, but not at $50+/lesson. I would be more than willing to do the book learning/ground portion again for a new group if it meant being able to negotiate some reduced fees.

My personal level used to be advanced intermediate, however I spent 3 years in Germany with the most pin-headed, stubborn horse I've ever ridden. He would unseat me at every turn. After 3 years on that boy, I have lost a lot of my confidence. Why do I get the largest, most ornery horse in every barn where I ride???? Some day I'll have a nice, easy going ride. So for now, I wouldn't bill myself above intermediate. I tried to say I was an advanced beginner but Kelley didn't buy it!

OK, this all seems very jumbled to me, so I apologize. Hopefully some of you can make sense of it all.

I'll end by saying I'm near DESPERATE to get riding again. I've put on weight not riding and my mental faculties are suffering! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :razz:

We are serious about riding, we stocked up on breeches and boots before leaving Germany because they are so cheap there. I just can't float the fees I'm seeing/hearing.

I am looking forward to any and all suggestions and won't be offended if someone says straight out "forget it, you can't afford it here". I just need to know what the experts in the area think.

Thank you for making it this far! I look forward to actually meeting many of you and hopefully sharing some rides.

Dawn

Duckz

Welcome to the area!

The two most kid-friendly places I know are A Moment In Time in Leonardtown and Kamp Akomplish in Nanjemoy. Both have very well-run lesson programs, and both are priced reasonably. Kamp Akomplish is probably closer to you. PM me if you'd like more information :howdy:

devinej

PM me, i can offer you a few alternatives.

and belated welcome to the horse forum! i do hope you can find what you need. there are many, many of us who do the horse thing on a tight budget around here including me, i totally understand.

hey loper??

fredsaid2

I have talked to a few homeschoolers in our group and there is some interest in lessons, but not at $50+/lesson. I would be more than willing to do the book learning/ground portion again for a new group if it meant being able to negotiate some reduced fees.

Wow! You've been quoted $50 a lesson? Now, I haven't paid for a lesson in a while but just a couple years ago we had a semi-private hour lesson w/ a GP rider for $40. I thought $34-40 was still the going rate. I hope the people here are able to give you some good suggestions. Best of Luck!

Loper

Animal Poor!
PM me, i can offer you a few alternatives.

and belated welcome to the horse forum! i do hope you can find what you need. there are many, many of us who do the horse thing on a tight budget around here including me, i totally understand.

hey loper??

Hey Devine??? :howdy:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
There is also a riding stable in Laplata near the college. The name escapes me right now. But my daughter’s friend took lessons there a few years ago and loved it. She also showed but I don't think it was mandatory. You'd have to check it out. The stable is off of Mitchell road.

Also something that might be fun for your boys: There is a polo cross clinic on wed evenings and most of the day Sat. in northern Calvert area. My kids tried it in Horse science school this past summer and it was a hoot. The horses and kids had a blast and what an improvement to their riding overall. If you are interested I can try to get you the information.

ALSO check out some of the trail riding groups in the area.
Here is a link to a local one.
Welcome to SMTR's Homepage

Last edited:

devinej

i charge more like $30 to $40 depending on the travel time. but lesson barns, hmm i think woodbury(formerly holly point) is charging $45 for a private on a lesson horse, can't remember.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
The going rate down here for "known" trainers is about $50/private lesson. I would rather pay that and know that I am getting someone who is known to be good, then save $15 and have a pony ride. There are people who do charge less and are good instructors but check around, watch them ride and even show if you can, ask to see pictures or video of them riding, watch them teach a lesson or two...don't just trust them when they tell you they were 8th in the nation!:killingme

devinej

The going rate down here for "known" trainers is about $50/private lesson. I would rather pay that and know that I am getting someone who is known to be good, then save $15 and have a pony ride. There are people who do charge less and are good instructors but check around, watch them ride and even show if you can, ask to see pictures or video of them riding, watch them teach a lesson or two...don't just trust them when they tell you they were 8th in the nation!:killingme

:killingme hahaha

Z

zansgoodnews

There is also a riding stable in Laplata near the college. The name escapes me right now. But my daughter’s friend took lessons there a few years ago and loved it. She also showed but I don't think it was mandatory. You'd have to check it out. The stable is off of Mitchell road.

Also something that might be fun for your boys: There is a polo cross clinic on wed evenings and most of the day Sat. in northern Calvert area. My kids tried it in Horse science school this past summer and it was a hoot. The horses and kids had a blast and what an improvement to their riding overall. If you are interested I can try to get you the information.

ALSO check out some of the trail riding groups in the area.
Here is a link to a local one.
Welcome to SMTR's Homepage

The farm you are referring to by the college is Linden Farm Riding Academy and no it's not mandatory to show.

DFSquare

I knew you ladies were awesome!

Thank you so much for the feedback here and in PMs.

I'm so excited by all the opportunities I don't even want to teach today! Hm, wonder how I can structure our learning all around horses???? I feel a unit study coming on!

CountryLady, I LOVE your signature line. My poor, patient, indulging husband just doesn't get all this, but he allows me as much horsey time as we can afford. :diva:

Hope to see you all soon on the trails!

Dawn

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Welcome to Southern MD. :howdy: Many good horse peeps down her. This is a great place to find out what is going on in the horse community in So. MD. :yahoo:

CountryLady

luvmyponies
The farm you are referring to by the college is Linden Farm Riding Academy and no it's not mandatory to show.

That's it. Linden farm, thanks. I am not sure what they are charging now but I think they said it was reasonable. Also they found this place after trying some others that they were not so happy with. I unfortunatly do not have that list! But who knows. A lot can change in a couple of years.

Here is the link.

Linden Farm, Inc.
They have a fee schedule online.
Also they lease horses.
I just remembered this place cause it is closer to Indian Head than some of the others (with the exception of Kamp accomplish) depending on where you are located in Indian Head.

Also here is Maryland Horse Industry Board Listing of Licensed Stables.
they are arranged by city so you can find some place close to you.

http://www.marylandhorseindustry.org/Stables10.htm

There are 12 stables in Charles County listed and 7 of them give Instruction. the contact numbers are on the listing, so you can call them and Check them out. GOOD LUCK!

ALSO worth noting: REVERIE ACRES RIDING ACADEMY, in PORT REPUBLIC which is in CALVERT comes highly recommended by some freinds of mine, but I am sure that it is too far of a drive for you.

Last edited:

kelsiann

I take lessons at serenity cove stables located in leonardtown, the owners really nice and all of her horses are great. I've been there for almost a year now and I have yet to find something that bothers me, they also has evaluation lessons before you start your semester so they can determine what level you should be in. They have an awesome leasing plan for horses and the lessons are a great price with a good instructor. Her websites here: Serenity Cove Stables Home

Good luck! :)

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Reverie Acres
Reverie Acres Riding Academy - Where dreams can come true! in Calvert County.
Randi is AWESOME. She does pony club too.
Lesson Rates Private (45 minutes) ...........$45
Semi-Private (1 hour, 2 riders) ...............$35
Group (1 hour, 3 or more riders) .............$25
Semester Rates (per 8 week session):
Private $315
Semi-Private $245
Group $175

Polocross requires your own horse, and practices are wed eves and saturday morning. This is the local club's website: Xtreme Polocrosse |extreme fun playing polocrosse

Last edited:

Chickadee1

I take lessons at serenity cove stables located in leonardtown, the owners really nice and all of her horses are great. I've been there for almost a year now and I have yet to find something that bothers me, they also has evaluation lessons before you start your semester so they can determine what level you should be in. They have an awesome leasing plan for horses and the lessons are a great price with a good instructor. Her websites here: Serenity Cove Stables Home

Good luck! :)

Do you go to competition or shows?.........it is cheaper to ride your own horse then a lesson horse?......website looks very nice.