help on getting my heels down?

julis976

i really need help on getting my heels down it is the biggest problem with me i dont know why its just so hard for me to get them down and i think thats why i cant do very much when i ride becasue of that i strech them out and everything but i cant keep them down any tips of anything

Giddy up!

julis976 said:
i really need help on getting my heels down it is the biggest problem with me i dont know why its just so hard for me to get them down and i think thats why i cant do very much when i ride becasue of that i strech them out and everything but i cant keep them down any tips of anything
field boots help because of how there angled on your calf...also try stretching on the side of a curb letting your heels dangle off and keeping your balance that helps too..or put a penny in your shoe under your heel and try to keep pressure on it when you ride...just thinking about that penny there helps keep your heels down..

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Get rid of the heels. They look stupid when you're riding a horse or a motorcycle. YVW. :huggy:

julis976

yeah il try that cause i think thats the reason i cant do alot of stuff in my lessons like everybody else can

W

WhoCares

Stand on your stairs, and strech them up and down. Do that for a while, and than do it on the horse. Also go into jump position at a trot for a while. It will HURT, but does the job. I had to pull my stirrups up one hole so that I could get a good stretch.

devinej

- practice two point position without hands
- make sure you are pressing your weight down into your heels and not pinching with your knee
- have even pressure everywhere on your inner leg.
- practice posting without hands.
- try double posting (post in the rhythm of up up down, up up down).
- practice riding without stirrups.
- practice not only two point, but also vertical position (standing almost straight up, really open hip angle) and superman position (a really low two point, stretching your hands toward the ears and your hips out behind you) make sure you always keep your heels underneath you, don't let them slip behind you. do this without hands first standing still, then work up to walk and trot and canter.

good luck! if you really want excersises specific to your faults, send a picture.

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
julis976 said:

Make sure your not pinching w/your knees to much. If you are, your weight isn't being able to drop down through your leg & into your heels.

Devine, had alot of good excercises for your legs. Pics please. :howdy:

Good luck & keep us posted.

Giddy up!

devinej said:
- practice two point position without hands
- make sure you are pressing your weight down into your heels and not pinching with your knee
- have even pressure everywhere on your inner leg.
- practice posting without hands.
- try double posting (post in the rhythm of up up down, up up down).
- practice riding without stirrups.
- practice not only two point, but also vertical position (standing almost straight up, really open hip angle) and superman position (a really low two point, stretching your hands toward the ears and your hips out behind you) make sure you always keep your heels underneath you, don't let them slip behind you. do this without hands first standing still, then work up to walk and trot and canter.

good luck! if you really want excersises specific to your faults, send a picture.
Damn your good Bk...come give me some freaking lessons!! :huggy:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
Remove your stirrups and slip them on the tips of your boots. Ride trying to keep them from falling off. It's even more fun if you can make it a competition with a friend. Try it at a walk, sitting trot, posting trot and then canter. When your stirrups fall off, you know your heal came up. Try again.

fredsaid2

Devine had great suggestions...2-pt and more 2-pt. Make sure you have the stirrup at the ball of your foot. Having your foot further in makes it harder to stretch the heels down.

appendixqh

Silence!!! I Kill You!!!
Busterduck said:
Remove your stirrups and slip them on the tips of your boots. Ride trying to keep them from falling off. It's even more fun if you can make it a competition with a friend. Try it at a walk, sitting trot, posting trot and then canter. When your stirrups fall off, you know your heal came up. Try again.

You are ruthless :jameo: ...that is really a good idea!!!! :howdy:

devinej

Busterduck said:

whoa never thought of that! thats a good one!

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Busterduck said:
I like that one! You need to make sure the ball of your foot is on the stirrup (the widest part of your foot). This helps support your foot and keeps you from losing your stirrups. If your stirrup is placed on your toes it is easier to have a "false heal" and you are more likely to be riding off of your toe instead of displacing your weight down into your heel. You are also more likely to lose your stirrups. I would have someone standing beside you while you do this exercise. I make my students with heal issues stand up in their stirrups as high as they can stand on the balls of their feet. They have to hold this for at least 10 seconds if not more. At the end of that time have the person helping put their hand below the stirrup where the heel should reside. The student will then drop the weight down to touch the person's hand with his/her heel. A lot of times the person with heel issues haven’t really felt where their heel should be. You should feel a stretch in the calf muscle. It may take you a while to properly stretch out your tendons and muscles. Make sure that the heel is not so far down it is fixed. It needs to be flexibly down. It absorbs some of the shock of the trot. There are lots of great exercises on here that I have used that work. Make sure you do them properly. Good luck. :yay: