Henkles....Annapolis Junction

GinnyC1961

Just wanted to add a picture from Lost Laurel...

I lived at a trailer park on Brock Bridge Road between 1963 - 1972 and remember the treat of going to Henkles

shimp nite=11700924_811185795646549_5488833288878540843_n.jpg

awpitt

Main Streeter
Just wanted to add a picture from Lost Laurel...

I lived at a trailer park on Brock Bridge Road between 1963 - 1972 and remember the treat of going to Henkles

Wow... I lived in Maryland City between 1968 - 1973. I remember that trailer park. Right next to that little store and right up from Brock Bridge Element try school.

GinnyC1961

I went with co-workers a few times in the late 70's/early 80's for lunch. I'll never forget those humongous sandwiches. I believe I had the ham thru the garden also which meant with lettuce, tomato and mayo. If I remember right, you could also get roast beef and turkey as well, equally massive in size. I'll never forget the size of those things. Must have been 2" to 3" of meat stacked high and overflowing on a big bun. They were just too big to bite down on from top to bottom. It would be great to see a pic if anyone has one.
I'll never forget those Roast Beef sandwiches. I've never had one like it since.

timbob10

Wasn't the 602 along Rt 198? I might be mixing it up with the Starting Gate.
The 602 was very near the rear entrance of Ft. Meade. Starting Gate, which is still there, is a mile west of the Deuce. Both are on Rt.198. You might be thinking of Remington's, a bar and grill type of place. It's only a block away from the 602 on the other side of the road. It's called something else now.

timbob10

I remember Henkles very well

Was stationed at Fort Meade 1984-1987 and recall many food related establishments, none more than Henkles. The sandwich meat between the two slices of bread must have been 2 inches thick, no lie. And "through the garden" meant a sandwich with lettuce and tomato. Oh that was a great, little off the beaten path deli. Other places I remember:
Bay n Surf in Laurel;
Chick and Ruths Delly in Annapolis;
Riordans in Annapolis;
Jerry's Subs, all over MD;
Phillips Seafood, everywhere in MD;
Lots of Navy guys used to frequent the 602, affectionately called "the Deuce" and another staple of the navy guys was "The Tackroom", a dive bar on 198 that had a dirt floor, lol. Ah those were the days.
Yeah, remember the Big Daddy lobster at Bay 'N Surf? Another couple of Laurel faves that are gone now are Tippy's Taco and Pasta Plus on Rt. 1.

timbob10

It may be me. Just seems to me Henckles was more over towards 29, well West of 602 which was right there on the right on 198 IIRC.
Henkel's was just off Rt. 32 about a mile east of Rt. 1. But Rt. 32 was only built in 1985. I think you used to have to take Guilford Road from the Howard County side to Brock Bridge Road before 32 was open.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Last edited:

jaksprat

jaksprat

45 year old boobage and warm cheep beer......ahhhh, the life...strobe lights and fishnets while Led Zeppelin singing "whote lotta love"...

Norman Ford, Lums and Town Hall.....
Oh yes, Town Hall. Where your feet stick to the floor and they hose it down at the end of the night....and it's still open!

And then there was the Rendevous and Varsity Grill with it's Back Room where we used to watch Root Boy Slim And Sex Change Band....Boogie Til You Puke!

timbob10

We lived off Contee Road for a while, and 8th Street in Fairlawn for a few more. The Big T, had very very good Roast Beef sammiches and Henkles was the best!
Remember the Turf Club and Village Pizza? Tippys Taco, Gorman or Talbot near Rt 1 had the best sunken meat burrito...
I remember Big T roast beef. It was also the last area Tastee Freeze, which was like a better Dairy Queen. Another place I thought of when you mentioned Contee Rd. was La Gringada Mexican restaurant, a little further south on Rt.1. And near the split on southbound Rt. 1 there was a really good Greek restaurant called Skorpios. All the good stuff's gone. I have no reason ever to go back to Laurel.

black dog

Free America
And then there was the Rendevous and Varsity Grill with it's Back Room where we used to watch Root Boy Slim And Sex Change Band....Boogie Til You Puke!

Bethesda boy here, I have a Psych Deli tee shirt packed away. All the local bands that played there.
Dont forget Cellar Door, One Flight up,Rumors, Crazy Horse and dozens of other great fun venues then.

jaksprat

Bethesda boy here, I have a Psych Deli tee shirt packed away. All the local bands that played there.
Dont forget Cellar Door, One Flight up,Rumors, Crazy Horse and dozens of other great fun venues then.
Saw some hard rock at the Psych Deli and saw some movies at the old grungy Bethesda Theater where you could eat pizza and drink pitchers of draft beer at a table while watching a movie. Those were the days.

black dog

Free America
Saw some hard rock at the Psych Deli and saw some movies at the old grungy Bethesda Theater where you could eat pizza and drink pitchers of draft beer at a table while watching a movie. Those were the days.
That was the Bethesda Theater, the draft house opened in 83-84. The metro area just had/has so many great music venues to go to.