Here, cop haters, have some red meat

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Woman getting tuned up by her boyfriend calls the cops.
Cops show up and woman answers the door brandishing a knife.
Cop shoots her dead.
He even had a taser in his other hand that he could have deployed instead.
All this happened right in front of the woman's young daughter.

You'd have to be mental to want to be a cop in LA, and these stories prove that. Anyway, all these situations where cops get in sh*t for dealing forcefully with violent dirtbags, here's one where the cop appears to be actually in the wrong.

HemiHauler

I’m sure the police wiill investigate themselves and declare no wrongdoing. He’ll be on a paid vacation for a few weeks and everyone will forget it happened.

WingsOfGold

Couldn't tell if the woman was white or black. If white, nothing will come of it.
Light skinned colored. Too bad it happened. Little doubt the situation was well known to the cops and they were on edge. Shiit happens.
1703952091694.jpeg

Clem72

So is the footage available? They used the term brandishing, which doesn't mean calmly holding. If someone is actually brandishing a knife at you, it makes sense to defend yourself regardless of if this person was the victim of some prior altercation.

Brandish: wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So is the footage available?

How Video Finally Proved That Cops Lie

Officer Nicholas M. Buckley described the arrest in exceptional detail, the single-spaced lines covering two full pages in his report.

[clip]

Buckley homed in on the guy in the long brown coat, Brandon Simpson. While the other men nonchalantly headed north up Taylor Street, Simpson went in the opposite direction and “quickly walked away from the group upon detecting police presence,” Buckley wrote.

He noted what he considered Simpson’s suspicious body language: hands near his waistband beneath his coat. It was “consistent with a person trying to conceal a weapon,” he would later say in court.

Buckley ordered Simpson to stop and show his hands, and when he did not, Buckley “grabbed him by the shoulders.” Simpson resisted and struggled to escape, the officer said. A battle broke out as more officers joined the effort to subdue Simpson, punching and kicking him until they were able to “gain control” and snap on handcuffs, Buckley said. Afterward, officers picked up a white object that had apparently fallen out of Simpson’s waistband or coat. It was a sock with a gun inside of it. Simpson was booked on charges of illegal firearm possession and faced 10 years in federal prison.

On April 13, 2016, officer Buckley repeated his story in a written court declaration, the same story he’d tell a month later on the witness stand during Simpson’s pretrial hearing.

When Buckley had finished testifying, the defense attorney stepped up. She had footage of the arrest, from a surveillance camera on a building across the street.

In full color and crisp definition, it showed what really happened that night.

The police car pulls up. The huddled men stroll away together. A man in a long brown coat near the back of the group — Simpson — walks with them. His arms are at his sides, clearly visible. He holds a water bottle in one hand. Seemingly picking this man at random, Buckley cuts him off on the sidewalk. The man tries to step around the officer. Buckley places a hand on his chest. The man takes a step back. Buckley grabs his arms, pinning his hands to his back. A second police car pulls up. Three officers rush to Buckley and knock the man to the ground. His body disappears beneath the scrum. With the man pinned against the fence, the officers let loose punches and kicks.

Judge Charles Breyer, a long-faced man with combed-down gray hair who often wears a bow tie beneath his robe, was incensed.

“The video was unequivocal in rebutting everything the police officer testified to — at least to all the pertinent details,” he said, before he dismissed the case.

[clip]

San Francisco officer Buckley lied in his police report, in his court declaration, and in his testimony. He lied about his reason for approaching Simpson, and the video showed that he violated Simpson’s constitutional rights by stopping him without reasonable suspicion and then detaining him without probable cause.

So it didn’t matter whether or not Simpson had a gun. The stop was illegal, Judge Breyer ruled in his dismissal of the case, and so the evidence it produced was legally useless. Prosecutors dropped the charges and informed Buckley’s bosses.

Eight months later, Buckley remains on the force. The department would not say whether he has been disciplined but told BuzzFeed News that “this is still an active and open Internal Affairs investigation.” Federal prosecutors have not charged him with perjury and would not comment on the case.

Lying is “something that has been endemic in the history of the American police system for the last three or four generations,” said Peter Keane, a former San Francisco police commissioner who now teaches law at Golden Gate University. “And why do they do it? The main reason they do it, historically and now, is they can get away with it.”

TPD

the poor dad
From all of the 1st amendment audit videos and traffic stops I watch, I have learned that cops are legally allowed to lie to you during a stop in order to get an admission of guilt from you. I guess in the mind of the police, that lying can carry over to their reports and testimony in court with no negative consequences.

HemiHauler

From all of the 1st amendment audit videos and traffic stops I watch, I have learned that cops are legally allowed to lie to you during a stop in order to get an admission of guilt from you. I guess in the mind of the police, that lying can carry over to their reports and testimony in court with no negative consequences.

And the squares among us are shocked that many of us have a policy of do not talk to the police. EVER. It can NEVER help you. It can only hurt you.

Will99

Woman getting tuned up by her boyfriend calls the cops.
Cops show up and woman answers the door brandishing a knife.
Cop shoots her dead.
He even had a taser in his other hand that he could have deployed instead.
All this happened right in front of the woman's young daughter.

You'd have to be mental to want to be a cop in LA, and these stories prove that. Anyway, all these situations where cops get in sh*t for dealing forcefully with violent dirtbags, here's one where the cop appears to be actually in the wrong.
This is what I saw. Correct me at anytime if my perception is wrong. Police knock on the door, then attempt to kick open the door because they hear an active disturbance. The woman who called them, opened the door with a knife in her hand. At that point, it seems she had the ability to get away from whom I presume is her oppressor, but instead, goes back into the residence and is holding the knife in a position which she could lash out and stab her “oppressor” when she is shot by the police. Does that sum it up?

TPD

the poor dad
This is what I saw. Correct me at anytime if my perception is wrong. Police knock on the door, then attempt to kick open the door because they hear an active disturbance. The woman who called them, opened the door with a knife in her hand. At that point, it seems she had the ability to get away from whom I presume is her oppressor, but instead, goes back into the residence and is holding the knife in a position which she could lash out and stab her “oppressor” when she is shot by the police. Does that sum it up?
It appears the cop who shot was a scaredy cat. The victim was 10-15' from the cop, so no fear for his life. In fact the female officer goes in ahead of the male officer and she does not point the gun towards anyone, while the male officer has a trigger finger and wants another star punched in his frequent shot card. I do not see any "brandishing" of a knife. IMO this cop should be fired immediately - there was no danger of his life being taken at the time shots were fired, not even a danger to him being injured at this point.

Which brings up another question - why are cops allowed to shoot and kill a person who is about to take someone else's life, but me, Joe Citizen, will be locked up with the key thrown away if I kill someone who is about to take another person's life. I can only kill if MY life is in danger, and even then I will spend thousands in court to prove it. Rules for thee but not for me.

Will99

It appears the cop who shot was a scaredy cat. The victim was 10-15' from the cop, so no fear for his life. In fact the female officer goes in ahead of the male officer and she does not point the gun towards anyone, while the male officer has a trigger finger and wants another star punched in his frequent shot card. I do not see any "brandishing" of a knife. IMO this cop should be fired immediately - there was no danger of his life being taken at the time shots were fired, not even a danger to him being injured at this point.

Which brings up another question - why are cops allowed to shoot and kill a person who is about to take someone else's life, but me, Joe Citizen, will be locked up with the key thrown away if I kill someone who is about to take another person's life. I can only kill if MY life is in danger, and even then I will spend thousands in court to prove it. Rules for thee but not for me.
From “FindLaw.com”.
It is a widely accepted principle that a person has the legal right to self-defense and the defense of others. This is also true when that defense would normally amount to a crime. Self-defense is an affirmative defense. Each state allows a defendant to claim self-defense as a legal defense when accused of a violent crime, such as a murder charge. Federal criminal law allows this as well.

The specific laws on self-defense cases vary from state to state. Some states have stand-your-ground laws, while others do not. This article addresses the broad concepts of self-defense law in the U.S. You should check the laws of your state to understand the requirements for a claim of self-defense.

In the article it stated the woman had a kitchen knife when she answered the door. I can’t tell what is in her hand, but it does certainly look like a kitchen knife to me. I don’t know the officers level of fear, but looking objectively at the incident, it is my belief the officer feared not for his own life, but that of the life of the boyfriend who was within stabbing distance of the large kitchen knife from the alleged victim of domestic violence.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Sort of. My mental picture is the cops show up, woman who already had a knife in her hand (presumably to use against the boyfriend) answers. Since the cops are now here she doesn't feel the need to run out the door to escape - help has arrived. Cops sees the knife and instead of doing an assessment or erring on the side of taser, he just guns her down.

In general I'm on the cops' side. They deal with people every day that I don't want anywhere near me, let alone have an interaction with them. They don't know if the next traffic stop is going to be someone who will shoot at them. They are on guard, as they should be.

But when a cop goes to a domestic and ends up shooting the victim within a few seconds of arrival....yeah, it's not looking good for him.

Will99

Sort of. My mental picture is the cops show up, woman who already had a knife in her hand (presumably to use against the boyfriend) answers. Since the cops are now here she doesn't feel the need to run out the door to escape - help has arrived. Cops sees the knife and instead of doing an assessment or erring on the side of taser, he just guns her down.

In general I'm on the cops' side. They deal with people every day that I don't want anywhere near me, let alone have an interaction with them. They don't know if the next traffic stop is going to be someone who will shoot at them. They are on guard, as they should be.

But when a cop goes to a domestic and ends up shooting the victim within a few seconds of arrival....yeah, it's not looking good for him.
I think many people believe it’s a bad look when a police officer takes the life of another. Generally, people will often find fault with the police actions no matter how justified the situation. In this case, the officer had seconds to see what’s happening and make a decision. Playing the devil’s advocate, if the taser was deployed and not successful, and the woman stabbed and killed the boyfriend, the narrative would have been why did the cop bring less than lethal to a lethal situation?

My question is if the woman was a rational human being, and the police showed up at her home and what she wanted was to have the boyfriend removed, wouldn’t it have been a much better idea for her to leave the apartment, and send the police in? Why is is we always question the rationality of police who have seconds to make a decision but never the person who put the police in the place where they have to make that decision. If I were on a jury and saw this, I believe I’d vote to acquit with the information I have.

TPD

the poor dad
My question is if the woman was a rational human being, and the police showed up at her home and what she wanted was to have the boyfriend removed, wouldn’t it have been a much better idea for her to leave the apartment, and send the police in? Why is is we always question the rationality of police who have seconds to make a decision but never the person who put the police in the place where they have to make that decision. If I were on a jury and saw this, I believe I’d vote to acquit with the information I have.
But the same could be said for the woman who had seconds to decide whether to retreat into the house or exit upon seeing the cops at her door. AND you have to figure that out while being BLACK.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My question is if the woman was a rational human being,

Let me stop you right there.....

The woman is with a guy who beats her ass, in front of her child no less, and she is in the process of attacking him with a knife, also in front of her child.

We're not talking about rational people here.

In fact, cops rarely deal with rational people.

Now the question is, should cops be able to just shoot irrational dipshits who not only screw up their lives but drag their kids into it? When I'm Imperial Queen of the Universe, the answer will be a resounding yes. But until then the answer is no. Cops are trained to deal with irrational people and volatile situations. It's their job.

So while many if not most cops shootings are justified, this one probably isn't.

Reactions: TPD

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Let me stop you right there.....

The woman is with a guy who beats her ass, in front of her child no less, and she is in the process of attacking him with a knife, also in front of her child.

We're not talking about rational people here.

In fact, cops rarely deal with rational people.

Now the question is, should cops be able to just shoot irrational dipshits who not only screw up their lives but drag their kids into it? When I'm Imperial Queen of the Universe, the answer will be a resounding yes. But until then the answer is no. Cops are trained to deal with irrational people and volatile situations. It's their job.

So while many if not most cops shootings are justified, this one probably isn't.
Maybe a social worker should have been sent instead. :sarcasm:

Will99

But the same could be said for the woman who had seconds to decide whether to retreat into the house or exit upon seeing the cops at her door. AND you have to figure that out while being BLACK.
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Are you saying her race had something to do with this?