Here's what happens with your Castle Doctrine

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
This really wasn't necessary, and this guy could end up charged with murder.

The Raw Story | Texan kills burglars next door, citing 'castle doctrine'
A so-called "castle doctrine" law recently passed in Texas allows people to use deadly force to protect their homes and property. However, a case in which a Houston-area man in his 70's killed two apparent burglars he observed breaking into his neighbor's house has raised new questions about how far that doctrine might extend. <!-- END BURST CODE -->
The man called an emergency dispatcher when he first saw the alleged burglars, saying "I've got a shotgun, do you want me to stop them?"
"Nope, don't do that," replied the dispatcher. "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, ok? ... I've got officers coming out there. I don't want you to go outside that house."
"I understand that," the caller replied, "but I have a right to protect myself too, sir, and you understand that. And the laws have been changed in this country since September the 1st, and you know it and I know it."
After five minutes, the dispatcher was no longer able to restrain the caller, who stepped outside and shot both men, reporting, "Here it goes, buddy. You hear the shotgun clicking and I'm going. ... Boom, you're dead. ... I had no choice."
A grand jury will decide whether the man can be charged with a crime. He will probably be found to have acted legally if it is determined that the neighbor whose house was broken into had asked him to protect his property, but not otherwise.
The Texas state senator who wrote the law said it was not meant to apply to anyone's property but your own and "is not designed to have kind of a 'Law West of the Pecos' mentality or action."
Similar laws are on the books in other states and have already given rise to a number of controversial incidents.
The following video is from CBS's Early Show, broadcast on November 15, 2007.

MMDad

Lem Putt
You're right this wasn't necessary. These idiots could have chosen not to break into that house. I guess they won't be breaking into any more houses now, will they? And the next guy might think twice before breaking in, right?

Thank you for this heart warming story, forest.

You're right this wasn't necessary. These idiots could have chosen not to break into that house. I guess they won't be breaking into any more houses now, will they? And the next guy might think twice before breaking in, right?

Thank you for this heart warming story, forest.

:yeahthat:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
I'm ready to have a parade for this guy, complete with a marching band and shriners.

AndyMarquisLIVE

The Raw Story | Texan kills burglars next door, citing 'castle doctrine'
A so-called "castle doctrine" law recently passed in Texas allows people to use deadly force to protect their homes and property. However, a case in which a Houston-area man in his 70's killed two apparent burglars he observed breaking into his neighbor's house has raised new questions about how far that doctrine might extend. <!-- END BURST CODE -->​

The man called an emergency dispatcher when he first saw the alleged burglars, saying "I've got a shotgun, do you want me to stop them?"​

"Nope, don't do that," replied the dispatcher. "Ain't no property worth shooting somebody over, ok? ... I've got officers coming out there. I don't want you to go outside that house."​

"I understand that," the caller replied, "but I have a right to protect myself too, sir, and you understand that. And the laws have been changed in this country since September the 1st, and you know it and I know it."​

After five minutes, the dispatcher was no longer able to restrain the caller, who stepped outside and shot both men, reporting, "Here it goes, buddy. You hear the shotgun clicking and I'm going. ... Boom, you're dead. ... I had no choice."​

A grand jury will decide whether the man can be charged with a crime. He will probably be found to have acted legally if it is determined that the neighbor whose house was broken into had asked him to protect his property, but not otherwise.​

The Texas state senator who wrote the law said it was not meant to apply to anyone's property but your own and "is not designed to have kind of a 'Law West of the Pecos' mentality or action."​

Similar laws are on the books in other states and have already given rise to a number of controversial incidents.​

The following video is from CBS's Early Show, broadcast on November 15, 2007.​
Bahahahahahahahaha!!! :roflmao:

Yeah, and those burgulars could've gone in and cut his throat. Nope, still don't want to raise a gun. Man, if we had people like you in office, we'd all be dead. :jameo:

Have you ever had somebody break into your home? Here's a clue: You want that gun then. :jet:

There's a poll in News & Current Events that requires your urgent attention. Might be on page 2 now. :tap:

Lots more people think we're winning the war now. I've heard so much good news from Iraq that it's impossible to hear about 400 people dying in bombings. Got any news?

ImnoMensa

The law seemed to have worked. Two theives are shot while in the act.

Perhaps the law needs a little tuning up since there is a chance the man who shot them could be prosecuted. They need to write the law so that he dosnt have to face that chance.

Novus Collectus

"A person is justified in using force or deadly force against another to protect the property of a third person if he reasonably believes he would be justified to use similar force to protect his own property, and he reasonably believes that there existed an attempt or actual commission of the crime of theft or criminal mischief."

"Also, a person is justified in using force or deadly force if he reasonably believes that the third person has requested his protection of property; or he has a legal duty to protect the property; or the third person whose property he is protecting is his spouse, parent or child."

Self Defense Laws Of Texas
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe/pe000900.html#pe015.9.43

The people of the state of Texas a long time ago if you are stealing property from someone's house in the middle of the night, a law abiding citizen (in the past it was just the owner) can use force to stop you. It is their law and they are cool with it. The burglars took it upon themselves to risk their lives in their crime in a state where this law was well known. For thieves to take such risk knowingly it is even more indication they are a risk to public well being.
You say it was unneccessary, but out in the big country in Texas cops can take a long time to arrive and that is why they wrote into the law there that you can use deadly force preventing other people's property from being taken. Their state, their laws and their determination of what is neccessary.

This guy has a legal defense and is most likely not going to be charged with murder.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
"Also, a person is justified in using force or deadly force if he reasonably believes that the third person has requested his protection of property"
Excellent research, Novus. :yay:
The Texas Senator who wrote the law said it was not meant to apply to anyone's property but your own

Sloppy research there forest, as usual. Why would the law specifically state that third party property is spcifically included if that were not the intent?

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Yeah, and those burgulars could've gone in and cut his throat. Nope, still don't want to raise a gun. Man, if we had people like you in office, we'd all be dead.
Looks like the law worked: the homeowner's property was protected and the criminals paid the price. How is this supposed to be a problem? :confused:

I wonder what forest's take is on this case over in Current Events. (He hasn't answered that one yet, for some reason... in fact, he's been awfully quiet lately.)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Forestal, did you really think this story would support your position? :confused: Because certainly you could have figured most of us would applaud this neighbor.

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Forestal, did you really think this story would support your position? :confused: Because certainly you could have figured most of us would applaud this neighbor.

I don't know how many times I have pointed out that Kerad and Frosty don't have the capacity to read an entire article. They get priapic over a headline that seems to support their perverted view of the and their brains get starved of blood (cuz is all went to their Johnson) and they stop reading.

ImnoMensa

There is a joke that went around a while back , It tells of a caller to 911 who tell the police that his garage is being broken into. The police respond that they dont have a car immediately available. This happens a couple of times---finally the guy calls again and tells the police not to worry and to take their time because he has shot the two thieves, and they arent going anywhere. Within seconds the police arrive in several cars go back to the mans garage and arrest the two suspects.

The officer in charge goes to the man and says: I thought you said you had shot them. and the man replies: I thought you said there were no cars available.

Pushrod

Patriot
Forestidiot wont reply to any of these posts. He is just hitting and running now because he is staying so far out in the left field to keep from hearing or seeing the truth. Only his perverted views matter to him.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That joke...

The officer in charge goes to the man and says: I thought you said you had shot them. and the man replies: I thought you said there were no cars available.

...is a direct result of our incorrect analysis that we need 'more cops'. If you're neighborhood is susceptible to fires, people get fire extinguishers and hoses and pay more attention to things. They don't get more firemen. They work on prevention, which cops don't do.

SamSpade

...is a direct result of our incorrect analysis that we need 'more cops'. If you're neighborhood is susceptible to fires, people get fire extinguishers and hoses and pay more attention to things. They don't get more firemen. They work on prevention, which cops don't do.

Yeah, well, on the other hand, the guy in the joke isn't asking them to prevent a crime but to stop one that is actually in progress.

Most of the time I simply don't bother reporting crimes if I see them happening, because the cops seem to just want to arrive late, ask a lot of questions, make you fill out papers and be done with it. It's just been my personal experience that they neither stop crimes nor solve crimes.

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Yeah, well, on the other hand, the guy in the joke isn't asking them to prevent a crime but to stop one that is actually in progress.

Most of the time I simply don't bother reporting crimes if I see them happening, because the cops seem to just want to arrive late, ask a lot of questions, make you fill out papers and be done with it. It's just been my personal experience that they neither stop crimes nor solve crimes.

My house got robbed a few years back and the freakin' 20 year old cop couldn't even get the fingerprint tape off the roll. I kid you not, it was like watching a bad comedy. They didn't even try to catch the perps and I doubt they investigated. I called and got the cell phone company to email me the numbers that were called on my husbands stolen cell and did a reverse phone number lookup to some local homes that had been called from it. I provided this info to the police but they never did crap about anything...worthless SOBs didn't care about any of the stolen goods, damage to my poroperty and home and made it pretty clear.