Highschools and what you think

Spoiled

When you think of each of the following highschools in our area what do you usualy think of? I see people not wanting their kids to goto greatmills or be near greatmills and that lead me to wonder what everyone's opinion is on each highschool in st marys.

Greatmills
Chopticon
Leonardtown

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
they are all about the same... if you want the highest scores in the area, go to patuxent high in calvert was the highest last year (don't know for this year)

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by Spoiled
so why do people say i dont want my kids to goto greatmills and stuff like that?

We moved from Leonartown to Lexington Park in my softmore year. I refused to go to Ghetto mills because most of my friends went to Leonartown and I actually wanted to learn something.

C

czygvtwkr

so why do people say i dont want my kids to goto greatmills and stuff like that?

Drugs, gangs, to graduate a girl must have a baby or atleast it seems that way.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
If the parents are doing a good job, it doesn't matter which high school your kid goes to.

C

czygvtwkr

If your kid gets beat up for his sneakers there isnt a whole lot that good parenting can do to prevent that one.

Spoiled

I went to leonardtown and ide venture to say we probably had the highest drug use, if not we had the most serious drugs being used.... A kid got expelled for sniffing an 8 ball in class... not the whole thing but he had it...

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
my guess on why great mills has a bad rep is that it's right across the street and surrounded by trailer parks... not that ALL the other high schools have their share of deadbeat kids and parents :ohwell:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
That depends. The whole school system down here is pretty whacky. I swear the school board needs to put the pipe down.

I don't really know what to tell you. I went to Preptown (Leonardtown) and hated it, but then again I don't like the "shiney, happy people", that just act that way. Leonardtown, may look like its better, probably less violent than Great Mills, but the just many, if not more drugs. I've got more friends that graduated from Great Mills than Leonardtown, and since we didn't graduate all that long ago (I graduated 2001), we still tend to talk about high school a lot.

BTW, Leonardtown is on its second or third principal since I graduated, not sure about Great Mills or Chopticon.

As far Chopticon, if you don't mind sending your kid to a school that up until recently had its own barn, and had/has some students that think tractors are viable school transportation, that's on you.

Last edited:

Hot N Bothered

Originally posted by Chain729
As far Chopticon, if you don't mind sending your kid to school that up until recently had its own barn, and had/has some students that think tractors are viable school transportation, that's on you.
They rebuilt the barn.

K

Kizzy

Originally posted by Hot N Bothered
They rebuilt the barn.

:lmao:

Here, we are zoned for Lackey, so Great Mills, Leonardtown and Chopticon combined does not have squat on Lackey as far as drugs, violence, gangs, etc. etc. is concerned.

Chain729

Originally posted by Hot N Bothered
They rebuilt the barn.

That's just sad. Do you know if they plan on layering this one in burn-time decreasing chemicals too?

Spoiled

Originally posted by Chain729

BTW, Leonardtown is on its second or third principal since I graduated, not sure about Great Mills or Chopticon.
Dr weiland got a promotion so naturaly he took it... then mr taylor went to fill in from the tech center... He was a temp until someone else took the job since none of the APs had been an AP at leonardtown too long so they didnt have the expierence,... Mr Smith took the job and i might say he did a damn good job

Chain729

Dr weiland got a promotion so naturaly he took it... then mr taylor went to fill in from the tech center... He was a temp until someone else took the job since none of the APs had been an AP at leonardtown too long so they didnt have the expierence,... Mr Smith took the job and i might say he did a damn good job

I know the story up until that point. My sister graduated 2 years behind me. And naturally, being the prep that she was, she payed attention to stuff like that. I just didn't know if Mr. Smith was still there.

I couldn't stand Dr. Weiland, and I also know he wasn't too happy with the way Mr. Taylor ran things.

Sheardelight

As far as anyone not learning things at Great Mills, I thought you should know the majority of the teachers in area schools graduated from there! :dance:

D

darkriver4362

Originally posted by IM4Change
:lmao:

Here, we are zoned for Lackey, so Great Mills, Leonardtown and Chopticon combined does not have squat on Lackey as far as drugs, violence, gangs, etc. etc. is concerned.

:yeahthat: I went to Lackey for 2 weeks in 9th grade before the tards figured out I was supposed to go to La Plata ( I live by Cobb Island):rolleyes:

La Plata has it's share of that stuff too, it's just better at hiding it. :ohwell:

BuddyLee

Football addict
I think all schools have their fair share of crime and drugs. Its the area surrounding the school that gives the school a bad name. With this in mind, why would anyone think differently about whether their school is bad or not if thats all they've been told.

janey83

Twenty Something
Originally posted by BuddyLee
We moved from Leonartown to Lexington Park in my softmore year. I refused to go to Ghetto mills because most of my friends went to Leonartown and I actually wanted to learn something.

if you had gone to Great Mills High School, I would have been a junior at the time, and you would have met me. :rolleyes:

janey83

Twenty Something
Originally posted by czygvtwkr
Drugs, gangs, to graduate a girl must have a baby or atleast it seems that way.

I was in the small percentage that went off to college....25% of my senior class (2001) at GMHS dropped out...