Highschools and what you think

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by janey83
if you had gone to Great Mills High School, I would have been a junior at the time, and you would have met me. :rolleyes:

I may not have ever met you though. Even if I did would it have been at the right time? Ponder upon that and get back with me.:wink:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by janey83
I was in the small percentage that went off to college....25% of my senior class (2001) at GMHS dropped out...

:twitch: I dont know about everyone else but for me you have to atleast pass high school. Its not that hard.:duh:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Originally posted by Chain729
As far Chopticon, if you don't mind sending your kid to a school that up until recently had its own barn, and had/has some students that think tractors are viable school transportation, that's on you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey!! :razz: We just got a new tractor, and we were KIDDING my almost 16 y/o son when we told him it would be his transportation to school!! We actually meant he'd have to ride one of the horse so it's own barn will fill the bill nicely :lol: ,

I have heard Chopticon is the best high school though. GREAT athletics, state champs track team, real involved football coaches (ie they are the same folks that coach the Parks and Rec team...does anyone know when that league has signups? (or tryouts or whatever they are called)

janey83

Twenty Something
Originally posted by BuddyLee
I may not have ever met you though. Even if I did would it have been at the right time? Ponder upon that and get back with me.:wink:

hmm...well we could've been friends, I suppose...although I'm very different now, even compared to how I was freshman year of college...do you think January was even the right time? maybe June was better? :confused:

janey83

Twenty Something
Originally posted by happyappygirl
I have heard Chopticon is the best high school though. GREAT athletics, state champs track team

I ran cross country at Great Mills, and the boys won the SMAC when I was a senior...and one of the seniors on our team won states in cross country...did really well in track, too! :cheers:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Originally posted by happyappygirl
Originally posted by Chain729
As far Chopticon, if you don't mind sending your kid to a school that up until recently had its own barn, and had/has some students that think tractors are viable school transportation, that's on you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey!! :razz: We just got a new tractor, and we were KIDDING my almost 16 y/o son when we told him it would be his transportation to school!! We actually meant he'd have to ride one of the horse so it's own barn will fill the bill nicely :lol: ,

[SNIP]

Truthfully, I wasn't joking before.

[j/king]You might want to re-consider putting the horse in the school's barn. The last one was a bit of a fire hazard due to the 50 billion layers of paint. And we all know how hard it is to get one redneck to change his/her ways, let alone a group of them.[/j/king]

Cabbage

WE opted for Patuxent

We visited local schools, spoke with counselors and admin before we narrowed our homesearch. We then decided we wanted to find a home that fed into Patuxent HS. Our son was midway his sophomore yr at the time of the move.

We have ZERO regrets. While I do agree with the poster who said that if the kids have the right parenting behind them they'll do fine, there is also the "distraction" factor to consider.

No matter how well kids are brought up, they can be distracted if the distractions are significant. Even if they don't succomb to the negative distractions, these types of distractions most certainly are not condusive to the learning environment.

Every high school has its problem students and its problem issues. No high school is exempt from those. The difference between high schools is how the schools deal with issues and problem students when these situations present themselves.

Attendance procedures should be made available to you.

What resources are available to kids that are falling behind, and when does the school contact the parent?

Example: One of our neighbors moved over here from the GMHS area. Her son had been tardy 7 times before she was contacted.
Apparently he had been walking his girlfriend to class, causing him to be late. When she got the call, she was advised this was his 7th tardy. She was upset that it took 7 times before she was contacted. She would expect to be contacted much earlier so she could be made aware of it.

And as far as whether he was late because he was walking the girl to her class or not, that we will never know :)

I don't know about tolerance within St Mary's Schools but Calvert has adopted a zero tolerance policy. The kids aren't real happy about it, but I can tell you the parents seem to be.

Spoiled

Re: WE opted for Patuxent

Originally posted by Cabbage

Example: One of our neighbors moved over here from the GMHS area. Her son had been tardy 7 times before she was contacted.
Apparently he had been walking his girlfriend to class, causing him to be late. When she got the call, she was advised this was his 7th tardy. She was upset that it took 7 times before she was contacted. She would expect to be contacted much earlier so she could be made aware of it.

And as far as whether he was late because he was walking the girl to her class or not, that we will never know :)

I don't know about tolerance within St Mary's Schools but Calvert has adopted a zero tolerance policy. The kids aren't real happy about it, but I can tell you the parents seem to be.
Not that i am disagreeing with you on anything you posted, all valid points and from a parents perspective i understand but the ammount of power it takes to alert a parent ever time, or 2 times a childi s tardy is unthinkable for a public school. Now that that is out of the way, what is this "zero tolerance" policy you speak of? Tolerance for drugs? Alcohol? Tardiness? Sex? Girls?

Cabbage

Re: Re: WE opted for Patuxent

Originally posted by Spoiled
Not that i am disagreeing with you on anything you posted, all valid points and from a parents perspective i understand but the ammount of power it takes to alert a parent ever time, or 2 times a childi s tardy is unthinkable for a public school. Now that that is out of the way, what is this "zero tolerance" policy you speak of? Tolerance for drugs? Alcohol? Tardiness? Sex? Girls?

Zero tolerance applies to "bullying", harassment (sexual & otherwise), violence, bringing unauthorized items to school, as well as all substances.

Parents are notified on the 3rd tardy, either by the teacher or the admin.

Spoiled

Re: Re: Re: WE opted for Patuxent

Originally posted by Cabbage
Zero tolerance applies to "bullying", harassment (sexual & otherwise), violence, bringing unauthorized items to school, as well as all substances.
I was under the impression in this day and age most schools where indeed like this, I know leonardtown was... Its just getting cought...

Cabbage

You may be right...

But when we "interviewed" the administration offices of high schools in the area, the myriad of policies seemed overwhelming.

Patuxent HS was clear upfront and early on zero tolerance vs. second chances.

K

Kain99

HA! In an act of rebellion, members of the varsity football team at Chopticon did show up on tractors. I thought it was hilarious! When the administration squawked the boys stood their ground. Since there was no policy in place to stop the tractor riding brigade they continued the practice through the end of the school year.

Definitely "Farmer Johnish" but I love the way the kids at Chopticon think!

Instead of forming gangs and snorting coke in the bathrooms, they are riding tractors and setting chickens lose in the hallway. :roflmao:

S

Shutterbug

Just wondering...

There's been a lot of talk in this thread about which school is the best as it relates to drugs and such, but no real discussion about the teachers at the schools. All schools have drugs, and some can't help the environment around them (trailors, etc.), but are there good teachers at these schools?? That seems like it would be more important.

meme

The Smart Hooker
Responding to another poster who said that alot of GMHS students went on to to become teachers at GMHS so they must have learned something there....

I went to GMHS and I graduated there myself. I don't think anyone is saying that just because you go to GMHS you won't learn anything. Obviously that is not true. I graduated, received good grades and went on to further my education like many other students there did.

Remembering my days at GMHS there were many teachers that I admired and that were hard on us - meaning they wanted us to do the work and expected our best and nothing less. There are teachers that care about the students. However, there were some teachers that really didn't care. They were to worried about being our friends and helping then being authority figures. I'm sure that is the same way in every single school. You have good and you have some that shouldn't be in the teaching profession.

Bottom line, if I were to live in the GMHS school district, would I send my children there? Absolutely NOT! Not because of the teachers but because of the students. I have a relative that teaches there and the horror stories I hear and the things that I saw, I would rather homeschool my kids then to subject them to that. I think the parents play a key role. SOME parents assume that they send there kids to school because they have to, instead of wanting them to receive and education. I think some parents think that it's the teachers FULL responsibility to teach the children and parents don't think they should help with school work and homework.

As stated above, I would not send my kids to GMHS because I think the teachers are not qualified because I think alot are. I think school is a place for learning and if the kids don't want to learn and disrupt class, then get them out of there.

outdoorgirl

Wow.. this has been an interesting thread for me. I'm a high school teacher. I have taught at several of the schools you mentioned. Honestly, to me, a school's merit depends on three things: 1. The administration-- they have to be tough!!! This has nothing to do with the district (with the exception of attendance poilicies), but rather relies on the dedication of the admistration to enforcement. 2. The teachers-- the level of energy a faculty has and their closeness to each other make such a difference in how dedicated they are to their students' success. You have to have teachers that believe in their kids-- no matter what neighborhoods the darn kids live in! 3. The community-- it has been so sad to me, as a high school teacher, to see what happens to parent involvement at the high school level (in this area, anyway). It's like parents think that the schools don't want them anymore once the child enters the ninth grade. PARENTS-- Come to the schools and volunteer when you have time-- come to games and PTA meetings-- GET INVOLVED! It really does make a difference not just to your kids, but to the student bodies and the schools as a whole. And the final part of the community, of course, is the kids. To be honest, each "set" of kids has it's ups and downs... in a school where there is generally a lower socio-economic status, there exists one set of problems, and in schools where income levels are higher, there are different problems... the kids can be motivated and successful, though, no matter what environment they're in-- they're truly amazing!

So, to answer the original question of what school is best-- to be honest, that probably changes from year to year and is totally and completely dependent on WHO'S IN THE BUILDING (including community members)-- not what neighborhood the school's in.

Okay, that's enough of my soapbox for now.

:smile:

outdoorgirl

Actually, every public high school in Maryland that I've been in or visited has childcare. Kind of scary, huh? At least it helps the girls to finish high school instead of dropping out.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
Originally posted by outdoorgirl
Actually, every public high school in Maryland that I've been in or visited has childcare. Kind of scary, huh? At least it helps the girls to finish high school instead of dropping out.

That must've been recent b/c there was never one at GMHS before.

outdoorgirl

It's been there for quite some time, actually. I'm not sure when it was started, but know it was there in 2000, and has been since. I'm sure it was started long before the, though. Crazy stuff...

meme

The Smart Hooker
When I graduated from GMHS in the 90's there wasn't a childcare facility. I graduated with some girls that had 1 and even 2 kids. Alot of them actually graduated and graduated with high grades. Then there were a few idiots that thought it was soooooo cute to have a baby and they wanted one so bad. So they did, and they quit school or failed out of school. I'm not really big on childcare facilities for in schools. I think it's wonderful that some girls work hard to graduate and maintain good grades and become very successful out in life. But I also think that some think it's a waste. I guess I'm pulled in both directions.