hmmmm, category 1...

luvmygdaughters

Tell that to the half a MILLION people without power now and goodness knows how many flooded out of their homes plus the destruction being suffered. It may have come onshore as a Cat 1, but the longer it sits and spins over the area, the worse it's going to be.

A friend is riding out the storm in Carolina Beach, just south of Wilmington, and thankfully is safe for now though without power as of an hour ago.

Hopefully everything will be okay with your friend. I have a cousin who lives right outside Charleston, praying for her too.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Tell that to the half a MILLION people without power now and goodness knows how many flooded out of their homes plus the destruction being suffered. It may have come onshore as a Cat 1, but the longer it sits and spins over the area, the worse it's going to be.

A friend is riding out the storm in Carolina Beach, just south of Wilmington, and thankfully is safe for now though without power as of an hour ago.

Poor Socki! :jameo:

black dog

Free America
Damn I hope Toby's is ok.

I though one of the hotels had a partial collapse, but I haven't heard and more about Jacksonville.

LOL.... You have no idea how funny that is.... At one of the LINKS classes I attended at New River, the topic of our young Marines drinking alcohol was discussed.
I made a joke about my kid would never go to an establishment like Toby's, because he was not me. Everyone that was involved with this class including my sons First Sergeant and Lieutenant along with a few parents busted out laughing. That evening my son and I had dinner at Twin Peaks, I tried to get him to go to Toby's after but he wouldn't go. The next morning was graduation and then right on a bus to the airport.
Every week after liberty when I would talk to my son he would tell me about one to three other Marines that Toby's girls had hustled for a few hundred to a few thousand.

GarrettcampGeiger 024.jpg

sept 164.jpg
Some thinks never change... Oorah.

PeoplesElbow

LOL.... You have no idea how funny that is....

Oh I do, that is the classiest of those establishments I saw in that area when I was down there. Not that I would ever go into such an establishment.

I drove by one that was in a trailer....

Your son sounds smarter than most, could have probably done real well in aviation.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I thought she was closer to Charleston, but she just moved again.

She's about an hour drive NW of there. Haven't heard from my friend in Carolina Shores (not Carolina Beach like I said earlier) since right after she lost power. Friends outside of Fayettsville lost power last night with bad winds and tons of rain. :frown:

Talked to my brother who works for Home Depot in Richmond and he will probably be going down that area to help with the cleanup effort.

This hurricane was nothing to take lightly, but talk about fake news! :killingme

She's about an hour drive NW of there. Haven't heard from my friend in Carolina Shores (not Carolina Beach like I said earlier) since right after she lost power. Friends outside of Fayettsville lost power last night with bad winds and tons of rain. :frown:

Talked to my brother who works for Home Depot in Richmond and he will probably be going down that area to help with the cleanup effort.

Waiting to hear from my brother too. I have every expectation of heading down there once he gets back to the house.

Just heard from him. House is fine, minimal damage to other houses, many trees down, but mostly on empty lots. Roads leading in flooded, not passable. It will be a while before he can get back home.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Just heard from him. House is fine, minimal damage to other houses, many trees down, but mostly on empty lots. Roads leading in flooded, not passable. It will be a while before he can get back home.

That's good news!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member

:yay: Sounds like the best possible outcome happened and glad for him.

black dog

Free America
Oh I do, that is the classiest of those establishments I saw in that area when I was down there. Not that I would ever go into such an establishment.

I drove by one that was in a trailer....

Your son sounds smarter than most, could have probably done real well in aviation.

I've never been in those types of establishments either myself..
I talked myself Blue with him and his options serving... Negative Ghostrider, That was not his path... He's a Grunt, He though about ROTC and getting an engineering degree and going Marine Officer, but he was afraid he wouldn't be graduate high enough to qualify to be an infantry officer.
Right now the plan is 29 until deployment in Okinawa next year, Recon, SS School and then Marsoc. Right now with his off time he is taking classes and he starts to volunteer with single Marine and sometime between now and Okinawa he has Advanced Missle School for the Javelin , Saber Tow Missle..
Not anywhere close to the plan his mother and I layed out and thought he was going to go in life.
It will be interesting to see how he trims his sails over the next few years. Thanks.

PeoplesElbow

I've never been in those types of establishments either myself..
I talked myself Blue with him and his options serving... Negative Ghostrider, That was not his path... He's a Grunt, He though about ROTC and getting an engineering degree and going Marine Officer, but he was afraid he wouldn't be graduate high enough to qualify to be an infantry officer.
Right now the plan is 29 until deployment in Okinawa next year, Recon, SS School and then Marsoc. Right now with his off time he is taking classes and he starts to volunteer with single Marine and sometime between now and Okinawa he has Advanced Missle School for the Javelin , Saber Tow Missle..
Not anywhere close to the plan his mother and I layed out and thought he was going to go in life.
It will be interesting to see how he trims his sails over the next few years. Thanks.

A friend of mine in high school took the same path, he was a very bright guy. He did his 5 or 6 years took the GI bill, got an engineering degree and now works in aviation.

He told me that he went to "pole climbing school" and as dumb as it sounds he was one of only three that passed.

black dog

Free America
A friend of mine in high school took the same path, he was a very bright guy. He did his 5 or 6 years took the GI bill, got an engineering degree and now works in aviation.

He told me that he went to "pole climbing school" and as dumb as it sounds he was one of only three that passed.

Pole Climbing,. I would rather do the obstacle course twice than climb a 40' pole..
My path was about the same as my son wants..
Washout rates are incredible sometimes, my kids mos right now is 0352 Missle launcher.
Maybe 20 other young men in his class, with the identify your target test, 4 or 5 failed out.
I think he told me it was 200 different targets they needed to identify. He told me with today's technology if they laz the wrong tank ( Russian or Danish? ) it will instantly lock in on them and send three rounds killing them. I think he said at advanced Missle School it's a few hundred more..
His roommate now was in his squad bay at New River, he's almost 30 yrs old, so they all call him pops. At chow he gets teased to drink milk so not to break his hip.
He's a smart guy it seems, no bad habits except for a Marine mouth..
They were buddy's during liberty at SOI and still hang together.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

That sounds like really good news, considering all that I'm seeing on the news. :yay: