hockey's back!!

Tonio said:
Why are there even teams in cities where it DOESN'T EVEN SNOW?

Well, games arent played outside, so a regions climate really has nothing to do with wether or not they should have a team now does it? Also there would not be a team if there was no interest in having a team in that city....So....fanbase?

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
thakidistight said:
Well, games arent played outside, so a regions climate really has nothing to do with wether or not they should have a team now does it? Also there would not be a team if there was no interest in having a team in that city....So....fanbase?
I'm saying that the climate affects the sports culture of an area. Because of the climate, hockey has been a strong part of the sports culture in Canada and in the northern US. The NHL assumed that the southern US was an untapped market. But I believe that most of the hockey fans in the south are transplanted northerners. There is no hockey tradition in places like Arizona and Florida, and I don't know if the sport appeals to enough people in those places for a tradition to develop.

Tonio said:
I'm saying that the climate affects the sports culture of an area. Because of the climate, hockey has been a strong part of the sports culture in Canada and in the northern US. The NHL assumed that the southern US was an untapped market. But I believe that most of the hockey fans in the south are transplanted northerners. There is no hockey tradition in places like Arizona and Florida, and I don't know if the sport appeals to enough people in those places for a tradition to develop.
Well it would never be a tradition for sure, but I think there are enough people who are interested in the sport to go watch the games. Even southerners would like to go watch a couple enforcers beat the hell outta each other for a few hours...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
Yeah, but I think fighting and beating people with sticks is pretty much universal.