Home for the Holiday's

H

hairdobyhelmet

Hello everyone from Southern Maryland,

I'm new, not to the area, just the Forums. If any of you ladies or gentlemen would like to share some of your favorite recipes, I'd love to exchange. I'm always looking for new stuff, especially around the holiday's. One of the best gifts I ever gave and was happy to give was when I took Mom's old pieces of written down recipes and transposed them onto cards, one for me, and one for her. It was the best! Something to always cherish.

Looking forward to your responses.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
PRIME RIB WITH CABERNET JUS

2 750-ml bottles Cabernet Sauvignon
4 cups beef stock or canned broth
2 cups ruby Port
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
1 large shallot, peeled, halved
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoons dried thyme
1 6-pound boneless prime rib beef roast
4 large garlic cloves, pressed
Fresh parsley sprigs

Combine first 6 ingredients and 1 teaspoon thyme in large nonaluminum saucepan. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. (Cabernet mixture can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef, fat side up, in heavy 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Rub beef all over with pressed garlic and remaining 2 teaspoons thyme. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Roast 1 hour. Tent beef with foil. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 118°F for rare, about 35 minutes. Transfer to platter and let stand 20 minutes.
Pour off all fat from roasting pan. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add Cabernet mixture to pan and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour jus into sauceboat. Garnish platter with parsley, if desired. Carve beef and serve, passing jus separately.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Artichoke-Parmesan Sourdough Dressing

PREP AND COOK TIME: About 11/2 hours
NOTES: Up to 1 day ahead, make dressing, put in casserole, cover, and chill.
MAKES: About 10 cups; 10 to 12 servings
1 loaf (1 lb.) sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 pound mushrooms, rinsed
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 onions (about 3/4 lb. total), peeled and chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 tablespoons minced garlic
About 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
2 jars (6 oz. each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
11/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
11/2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary leaves or 3/4 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
Salt and pepper
1 large egg

1. Spread bread cubes in a single layer in 2 pans, each 10 by 15 inches. Bake in a 350° oven until toasted golden brown, about 25 minutes. Turn cubes over with a wide spatula occasionally. After 15 minutes, switch pan positions.

2. Trim and discard discolored mushroom stem ends. Slice mushrooms.

3. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, combine butter, mushrooms, onions, celery, and garlic. Stir often until vegetables are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Pour into a large bowl. Add a little broth to pan and stir to scrape browned bits free. Add to bowl.

4. Pour 2 cups broth into bowl and add toasted bread, artichoke hearts, cheese, poultry seasoning, and rosemary; mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a well in dressing, add egg, beat with a fork to blend, then mix egg with dressing.

5. Spoon into a shallow 3-quart (9- by 13-in.) casserole. For moist dressing, cover with foil; for crusty dressing, do not cover. Bake in a 325° to 350° oven (use temperature turkey requires; see chart, "Turkey") until hot (at least 150° in center) or lightly browned, about 50 minutes (1 hour if chilled).

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Chardonnay Gravy

Prep and cook time: About 21/4 hours
Notes: Up to 1 day ahead, make broth through step 4; cool, cover, and chill. After turkey roasts, add its pan drippings and the wine to broth and bring to a boil, stirring. For a more delicate flavor, replace 1 cup wine with equal amount of broth.
Makes: 11/2 quarts; 10 to 12 servings

Giblets and neck from a 16- to 20-pound turkey
2 onions (about 3/4 lb. total), quartered
2 carrots (about 1/2 lb. total), cut into chunks
3/4 cup sliced celery
1 quart chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup cornstarch
Roast turkey (16 to 20 lb.; page 162)
2 cups Chardonnay
Salt

1. Rinse giblets and neck (chill liver airtight to add later, or save for other uses). Combine giblets, neck, onions, carrots, celery, and 1 cup broth in a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat; cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat to high and boil, uncovered, stirring often as liquid evaporates. Then stir giblets and vegetables until browned and sticking to pan, 12 to 15 minutes.

2. Add remaining 3 cups broth and pepper, stirring to scrape browned bits free. Cover pan. Simmer gently until gizzard is tender when pierced, about 11/2 hours. If desired, add liver and cook 10 more minutes.

3. Pour broth through a fine strainer into a bowl. Discard vegetables. Pull meat off neck; finely chop neck meat and giblets. Measure broth and, if needed, add water to make 1 quart.

4. In the pan, smoothly blend cornstarch with 1/3 cup water. Add broth and finely chopped giblets. Stir over high heat until boiling, about 5 minutes.

5. After turkey is done, skim and discard fat from pan juices. Add Chardonnay to roasting pan and, over low heat, scrape browned bits free. Add wine mixture to gravy and bring to a boil, stirring. Add salt to taste.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Julie's Brandied Cranberry Sauce

Prep and cook time: About 1 hour
Notes: Sauce can be made up to 1 week ahead. To serve warm, reheat in a microwave oven.
Makes: About 2 cups; 10 to 12 servings

1 package (12 oz.) fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
11/2 cups sugar
1/3 to 1/2 cup brandy
2 tablespoons finely shredded orange peel

1. Sort cranberries and discard any soft or spoiled ones. Rinse and drain berries.

2. Mix cranberries, sugar, brandy, and orange peel in an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 325° oven until berries are tender when pierced and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or cool.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Elegant Pumpkin-Walnut Layered Pie

1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped and toasted
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16-ounce) can pumpkin
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Whipped cream (optional)

Roll 1 piecrust to press out fold lines; cut out leaves with a leaf-shaped cutter. Brush leaves with lightly beaten egg, and place on a baking sheet; set aside.

Fit remaining piecrust into a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions; fold edges under and crimp.

Bake leaves at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Bake piecrust for 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove leaves and piecrust from oven; let cool. Increase oven temperature to 425°.

Combine 1/2 cup light brown sugar, chopped walnuts, butter, and vanilla extract; spread on the bottom of baked piecrust.

Beat pumpkin, cream cheese, 2 eggs, and remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer. Add flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and nutmeg, beating until blended. Spoon pumpkin mixture over walnut mixture.

Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°, and bake 30 more minutes or until pie is set. Remove pie to a wire rack; cool. Arrange leaves on top of pie. Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream, if desired.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Cabernet... Chardonnay... Brandy...

Any Breakfast recipes for something with Bourbon?

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
RoseRed said:

2 cups ruby Port
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoons dried thyme
Fresh parsley sprigs

Combine first 6 ingredients and 1 teaspoon thyme in large nonaluminum saucepan. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. (Cabernet mixture can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 450°F. Place beef, fat side up, in heavy 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Rub beef all over with pressed garlic and remaining 2 teaspoons thyme. Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Roast 1 hour. Tent beef with foil. Continue roasting until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 118°F for rare, about 35 minutes. Transfer to platter and let stand 20 minutes.
Pour off all fat from roasting pan. Place pan over medium-high heat. Add Cabernet mixture to pan and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour jus into sauceboat. Garnish platter with parsley, if desired. Carve beef and serve, passing jus separately.
save the first ingriedient to drink while the meat is cooking:smack:

replace with beef broth or wathe with bullion cubes:yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Dougstermd said:
save the first ingriedient to drink while the meat is cooking:smack:
:smack: Have an extra bottle to drink while cooking.

:razz:

This is a most excellent recipe, just ask BadGirl and Vrai. :yay:

H

hairdobyhelmet

I Love It! Thank you RoseRed, I usually have prime rib on Christmas Day. I will definately try this one. You're a fast typer. I have lots I'd like to share. How do you do it? Scann? I'd have to get my daughter to do that for me.

This is one of my favorites.

Apples with Cinnamon Cider Dip

2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
1 1/4 cups apple cider or apple juice
3 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. sald (optional)
dash ground cloves
dash gound allspice
1tbsp. butter or margarine
4 apples, cored and sliced.

For dip, in a medium saucepan combine cornstarch and brown sugar. Stir in apple cider, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt (if desired), cloves and allspice. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Add butter or margarine; stir unil melted. Smells great when cooking!

Serve dip warm with sliced apples. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

Cinnamon Bread (I'm going to get killed for sharing this one)!

Beat together:

White Cake Mix
4 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
1tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. butter flavoring

add small carton sour cream 8 oz.

Grease and flour 2 loaf pans 9x5. Pour in 1/2 of the mixture

Mix 4 tbsp. sugar and 2 tbsp. cinnamon. Swirl the above mixture into 1st layer and then add remaining portion.

Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.

Drizzle with confections sugar glaze while still warm, if desired!

H

hairdobyhelmet

I'd suggest. Straight up, or if you're patient, I think my Aunt Peggy gave me a great recipe for a Bourboun Cake!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
hairdobyhelmet said:
I Love It! Thank you RoseRed, I usually have prime rib on Christmas Day. I will definately try this one. You're a fast typer. I have lots I'd like to share. How do you do it? Scann? I'd have to get my daughter to do that for me.

You're welcome and enjoy.

Not typed fast. I copied them from the magazine websites to a word document and save them. Then copy and paste here. :yay:

Your Apple thingy sounds good too.

CMC122

Go Braves!
mainman said:
Franks and beans:

1 large can pork and beans
6 to 8 hot dogs or franks
Combine hotdogs and beans, heat thoroughly.
No onions, greenpeppers, brown sugar or mustard? :faint:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
RoseRed said:

2 cups ruby Port
2 bay leaves
3 teaspoons dried thyme
Fresh parsley sprigs

I can attest that this is one incrediably awesome recipe. :yum: I've prepared it three times, with each to rave reviews. Thanks for sharing, RR. :yay: