Home Network Help

I want to set up a home network.

Here's what I have:
New Desktop PC
Printer
Old Laptop w/ wireless G card
Verizon DSL

If I am understanding Linksys' website correctly, I can get their Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G and be good to go. I would disconnect my current DSL modem we got from Verizon and plug the new router in its place. Is this correct?

spicy

Here's what I have:
New Desktop PC
Printer
Verizon DSL

If I am understanding Linksys' website correctly, I can get their Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G and be good to go. I would disconnect my current DSL modem we got from Verizon and plug the new router in its place. Is this correct?

Sort of--

If you still want to have internet, you'll need to leave your modem, and run the lan cable from the modem to the internet port of your router. Then plug your computers to the router. If you do what you said you'd still have your home network but no internet.

Which means that is NOT the unit I want to purchase. I want to keep the internet, but I also want to reduce the number of componenets. I want an all in one unit that will get me online and network my equipment.

Can somebody give me a link to what I am looking for?

Xaquin44

well you have to have the modem to have the internet and you have to have a router or switch to connect the computers to the modem.

well you have to have the modem to have the internet and you have to have a router or switch to connect the computers to the modem.
Linksys makes a cable modem gateway, but I don't see a DSL Gateway. THAT is what I am looking for.

spicy

Which means that is NOT the unit I want to purchase. I want to keep the internet, but I also want to reduce the number of componenets. I want an all in one unit that will get me online and network my equipment.

Can somebody give me a link to what I am looking for?

Ok in that case you want a gateway

Dsl Gateway

its a UK link but you get the idea. Gateway is your keyword i think

Xaquin44

I was told that for DSL you had to have the verizon modem though

(well for verizon dsl)

they may just have been lying to me though

either way, I hope you get what you need =)

P

Patch Tuesday

Here's what I have:
New Desktop PC
Printer
Verizon DSL

The only thing you should be buying is the Linksys router that you mentioned. Plug the Verizon modem into the router...

That will help protect you from hackers, because all they will see is your cable modem, not the network behind it...

Read the instructions on the router and change the password to it immediately...

Use MAC address filtering for the wireless portion of the router unless you want the neighbors surfing (and the liability) on your Internet...

:popcorn:

Quit being cheap and go down to Best Buy/Staples and buy a quality router...

Verizon was giving those cheap things away when you signed up for DSL...

Routers require "firmware" updates from time to time for security reasons etc...

You need to buy from someone like Linksys, owned by "Cisco" so that you get quality support...

Hey DipSh!t, Did I say "I want the cheapest thing I can find"? NO.

Look at my very first post. You will see that I said I was looking at a Linksys unit. However, it doesn't look like they make a DSL gateway, just cable.

At this point, I am doing my research on what exactly I need. I am also asking on other forums about specific hardware recommendations. One of the problems is that Verizon DOES use a different standard than other DSL providers and most gateways won't work with Verizon from what I have read.

Xaquin44

This may be a dumb question, but did you check to see if you can get DSL?

When I moved, I checked my address on their website and found that my DSL would transfer there. When I moved and got set up I didn't have it. Turns out the website will tell most anyone they can get DSL, but upon talking to an employee, you'll find that you won't be able to.

Just making sure (I'd hate for you to get what you need and not have the service).

This may be a dumb question, but did you check to see if you can get DSL?

When I moved, I checked my address on their website and found that my DSL would transfer there. When I moved and got set up I didn't have it. Turns out the website will tell most anyone they can get DSL, but upon talking to an employee, you'll find that you won't be able to.

Just making sure (I'd hate for you to get what you need and not have the service).
Already have Verizon DSL. Wired connection. Just got a laptop and want to use it wireless.

P

Patch Tuesday

Look at my very first post. You will see that I said I was looking at a Linksys unit. However, it doesn't look like they make a DSL gateway, just cable.

At this point, I am doing my research on what exactly I need. I am also asking on other forums about specific hardware recommendations. One of the problems is that Verizon DOES use a different standard than other DSL providers and most gateways won't work with Verizon from what I have read.

There's a couple of finer points that you're missing in your little tirade...

First, you're better off sticking with Verizon's modem, and plugging a router in to create your network, because if something doesn't work or it goes out, they will have to fix it, and will be more supportive in fixing "their modem"...

Second, you don't just plug things in with a lot of providers, they require you to give them the MAC hardware address...

RadioCtrlDWife

Clone Home

There's a couple of finer points that you're missing in your little tirade...

First, you're better off sticking with Verizon's modem, and plugging a router in to create your network, because if something doesn't work or it goes out, they will have to fix it, and will be more supportive in fixing "their modem"...

Second, you don't just plug things in with a lot of providers, they require you to give them the MAC hardware address...

Use the DSL modem rented from the provider or buy a generic modem for about 50$ [Patch, sometimes it even makes sense to own, rather than rent the DSL modem- ROI is 100% in a year] to provide the RJ14 jack needed by any standard wireless router [Linksys/Cisco rocks] with a NAT firewall.
You can easily clone the MAC address of the first computer you have registered with the provider into the router's setup table. Typically they will will give you some instructions like this [from link sys]
"Find the MAC address of the NIC that has your IP at the moment. To do that go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all in a Windows NT/2K/XP machine or type winipcfg on any Win9x system. The MAC address will look some thing like this
"00-03-6D-12-55-CD"
Write that down you will need it later.
Then:2. Login to your router. If its new or you haven't changed your settings you need to type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of Internet explorer. You will now see a screen like this.
http://i.dslr.net/pics/faqs/image2514.jpg
Use ADMIN as both password and user name left as is or ADMIN.3. Next make your way to the advanced tab.4.Click on the MAC address clone button. 5. Now take the MAC address you wrote down before and enter it into the field.
Click apply and if everything worked you should see- SETTINGS ARE Successful" - and that is it.
Have a Five Bar Saturday
Bill Signal Bars R Us

Use the DSL modem rented from the provider or buy a generic modem for about 50$ [Patch, sometimes it even makes sense to own, rather than rent the DSL modem- ROI is 100% in a year] to provide the RJ14 jack needed by any standard wireless router [Linksys/Cisco rocks] with a NAT firewall.
You can easily clone the MAC address of the first computer you have registered with the provider into the router's setup table. Typically they will will give you some instructions like this [from link sys]
"Find the MAC address of the NIC that has your IP at the moment. To do that go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all in a Windows NT/2K/XP machine or type winipcfg on any Win9x system. The MAC address will look some thing like this
"00-03-6D-12-55-CD"
Write that down you will need it later.
Then:2. Login to your router. If its new or you haven't changed your settings you need to type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of Internet explorer. You will now see a screen like this.
http://i.dslr.net/pics/faqs/image2514.jpg
Use ADMIN as both password and user name left as is or ADMIN.3. Next make your way to the advanced tab.4.Click on the MAC address clone button. 5. Now take the MAC address you wrote down before and enter it into the field.
Click apply and if everything worked you should see- SETTINGS ARE Successful" - and that is it.
Have a Five Bar Saturday
Bill Signal Bars R Us
Most of that was greekklingon and spoken w/ a speech impediment to me (as in a cross of the Greek language and klingon, not a slam on people who actually understand computer stuff since I am a total know NOTHING when it comes to computers), but once I get my gateway I will print it out and follow your directions and see where I get. I may need to break out the RadioCtrlDWife emergency beacon though.

Went by BestBuy today. They steered me towards the same Actiontec gateway that I linked to above.
So far I cannot find a Linksys DSL gateway.
DSLReports.com forums say it doesn't really matter which one I choose. As cheap as they are on eBay, I can always try one and if I don't like it, switch to a different brand until I find what I want. Worst case scenario I end up getting a Linksys wireless router and continuing to use the existing wired DSL modem I already have, just trying to reduce the # of pieces of hardware.