Home Schooling

Birdlady

birdlady
Can anyone out there tell me what i need to do Home Schooling at home for my child (6 years old )What curriculum is allowed,where to get the materials. The people at Student Services are no help at all!!!!!!!

Christy

b*tch rocket
Can anyone out there tell me what i need to do Home Schooling at home for my child (6 years old )What curriculum is allowed,where to get the materials. The people at Student Services are no help at all!!!!!!!

Google is your friend. :yay: Just google homeschooling in Maryland.

There are a million different curriculums you can choose from and a million different styles. Home schooling isn't really a one size fits all kind of gig. :shrug:

sockgirl77

If you are not educated enough to know all of this than you are not educated enough to be teaching your child. :rolleyes:

Birdlady

birdlady
Google is your friend. :yay: Just google homeschooling in Maryland.

There are a million different curriculums you can choose from and a million different styles. Home schooling isn't really a one size fits all kind of gig. :shrug:[/QUO:thewave::thewave:TE]

Thank you,Christy

crabluver

Contact the school board in your county. They have the information necessary. Though they may seem "uptight" about home schooling, they do have what you need. My step son got home schooled for two years. tough work.

Black-Francis

Get in touch with WildCherry/Mousebaby on the boards.....

crabluver

I am sorry. You said student services were no help at all? What County are you in? Calvert gave us a detailed description package plus different programs, information , etc. This was 5 years ago, but I can not imagine it changing that excessively.

Birdlady

birdlady
I am sorry. You said student services were no help at all? What County are you in? Calvert gave us a detailed description package plus different programs, information , etc. This was 5 years ago, but I can not imagine it changing that excessively.

St. Marys

Cowgirl

Oh please! Have you ever taken a look at the correspondence written by your kids "educated" public school teacher(s)? There isn't a week that goes by that I don't find spelling and grammatical errors.

I have to agree with ya there. Boy's kindergarten teacher would give Jazz a heart attack.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have to agree with ya there. Boy's kindergarten teacher would give Jazz a heart attack.

Then I'm very glad I'm in the industry I'm in and not in teaching. :lol: My poor niece though - she's just starting out as an English teacher. :twitch:

foodcritic

HSLDA | Home School Laws

Got this link off of the Home School Legal Denfense Association's website. They are an excellent place to start in answering all your questions. I home school in St. Mary's county so you can always PM me with any questions you have.

P

PinkyDinkyDo

I never could understand why people home school. Why not let these children learn what its like in the real world. Unless there is a medical problem and they are better off at home. Even then there are special education schools available.

foodcritic

I never could understand why people home school. Why not let these children learn what its like in the real world. Unless there is a medical problem and they are better off at home. Even then there are special education schools available.

I'm not going to start a whole new argument on why people home school (I think there are plenty of those out there already) but my kids certainly know what the real world is like. They are out in it everyday. Being in school for 8-9 hours a day is not being in the real world. We also talk to our kids and explain to them what is going on in the world.

R

retiredweaxman

I am with you Pinky!!!!

More importantly, the home schooled kids lose the interaction of other students (for better or worse). I remember growing up and having school projects in that we had to form teams and work together to accomplish the task - whether it was a report (research in the library as the Internet was not around), science project, etc.

And please don't tell me the kids interact after school. Getting a group of 2-3 to play Playstation is not the same.

sockgirl77

Was wondering if you ever home schooled? Do you know all the answers? Everyone has to start out somewhere.

No, which is exactly why my kids are not and will not be home schooled. If you do not have a degree in education you should not be allowed to teach. Period.