Home Schooling

R

retiredweaxman

I'm not going to start a whole new argument on why people home school (I think there are plenty of those out there already) but my kids certainly know what the real world is like. They are out in it everyday. Being in school for 8-9 hours a day is not being in the real world. We also talk to our kids and explain to them what is going on in the world.

Sorry mominsmc, I have to disagree with you. Assuming the kids are elementary school aged, school is the closest thing to the real world for them. They have to get up at a certain time, be to school at a certain time, report to teachers (equivalent of our boss), be responsible for their own actions (or else suffer detentions), stay at school until released (like us finishing our shift at work), do homework (how many of us continue to bring work home off the clock), complete projects (how many of us have had to buy books as a fund raiser for the kids)...yup, just like the adult world without the financial worries. Not to mention that some kids are the last to be picked for sports teams or not picked at all (how many of us have been passed up for a promotion for someone else).

Is it hurtful to a child not to be picked as class president or a member of a football team or a cheerleading squad? Sure, but that is the real world. Even kids have to learn rejection and how to deal with the fact that some are better than others at certain things.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I never could understand why people home school. Why not let these children learn what its like in the real world. Unless there is a medical problem and they are better off at home. Even then there are special education schools available.

Do you really believe that public schools reflect the "real world"? In my opinion, public schools are a complete 180 of what the real world is and what it entails to succeed in it. The real world isn't going to reward you for simply showing up. In the real world there are consequences for poor performance and bad behavior.

sockgirl77

Do you really believe that public schools reflect the "real world"? In my opinion, public schools are a complete 180 of what the real world is and what it entails to succeed in it. The real world isn't going to reward you for simply showing up. In the real world there are consequences for poor performance and bad behavior.

And there's not in school? :confused:

R

retiredweaxman

I have seen many people just show up for work, perform adequately and are rewarded by keeping their jobs.

As far as school, please don't tell me that bad behavior has no consequences. What about detentions, suspension, expulsions? If the infraction is minor and the child is young, they used to take away recess - which is a consequence for poor performance.

Christy

b*tch rocket
And there's not in school? :confused:

Not really. Maybe back in the old days when teachers could teach as well as discipline.

And for the record, my kid is in public school, public school is fine. I just think it is a bit myopic to believe that it is the end all be all of education. Home schooling works just as well, if not better. I have much respect for parents who choose to home school.

What my kid learns in public school is a joke, much of what is taught is revisionist history and the math and english classes are so dumbed down it is just embarrassing. She learns more outside of school than she does in. Anyone who puts complete control of their childs education in the hands of public schools is doing themselves and their child, a huge disservice.

foodcritic

I am with you Pinky!!!!

More importantly, the home schooled kids lose the interaction of other students (for better or worse). I remember growing up and having school projects in that we had to form teams and work together to accomplish the task - whether it was a report (research in the library as the Internet was not around), science project, etc.

And please don't tell me the kids interact after school. Getting a group of 2-3 to play Playstation is not the same.

There are all sorts of home school co-ops and groups to get involved with. These groups allow children to work together on projects, have P.E. together and go on all sorts of educational field trips.

I have found over the years that most people who don't home school don't realize all the opportunities out there for home schoolers to get together with other kids. And I think that is understandable because if you don't do something or don't have a need to know something you usually don't know a lot about it. For example, if your child is born with some handicap you are going to know a lot more about it over time than someone who has never had to deal with it. I have also come to realize that some people will never agree with home schooling no matter how much you talk to them about it. And that is fine. Its what make America great. We have the freedom to educate our childern in what matter we feel is best for them.

foodcritic

No, which is exactly why my kids are not and will not be home schooled. If you do not have a degree in education you should not be allowed to teach. Period.

I dare say some people with a degree in education should not be teaching. Just because you have a degree does not mean you are good at something.

sockgirl77

I dare say some people with a degree in education should not be teaching. Just because you have a degree does not mean you are good at something.

And I'll agree with you on that. However, you should not be able to teach if you are not educated enough to.

foodcritic

Sorry mominsmc, I have to disagree with you. Assuming the kids are elementary school aged, school is the closest thing to the real world for them. They have to get up at a certain time, be to school at a certain time, report to teachers (equivalent of our boss), be responsible for their own actions (or else suffer detentions), stay at school until released (like us finishing our shift at work), do homework (how many of us continue to bring work home off the clock), complete projects (how many of us have had to buy books as a fund raiser for the kids)...yup, just like the adult world without the financial worries. Not to mention that some kids are the last to be picked for sports teams or not picked at all (how many of us have been passed up for a promotion for someone else).

Is it hurtful to a child not to be picked as class president or a member of a football team or a cheerleading squad? Sure, but that is the real world. Even kids have to learn rejection and how to deal with the fact that some are better than others at certain things.

I understand your logic but when you only interact with people your own age and a few adults I don't think that represents society. As adults we interact with people of all ages and backgrounds everyday and if a child is in school with kids their own age that is not giving them the ability to do that. Home school children deal with rejection and how to deal with it to. Do you think they are kept inside and never do anything out side of the home? I know some people do but most home schooled children are out there doing a lot of different things. They have more opportunity to do that because they are not stuck in a class room all day.

Christy

b*tch rocket
And I'll agree with you on that. However, you should not be able to teach if you are not educated enough to.

You taught your kid to walk and talk didn't you? You taught your kid (hopefully) not to run out in the street, play with matches, and wipe his/her butt right?

Keep drinking the government koolaide that convinces you that, as a parent, you are too stupid to teach your own child. :yay:

foodcritic

You taught your kid to walk and talk didn't you? You taught your kid (hopefully) not to run out in the street, play with matches, and wipe his/her butt right?

Keep drinking the government koolaide that convinces you that, as a parent, you are too stupid to teach your own child. :yay:

:yeahthat:

sockgirl77

I am also educated enough to know my education level. I have just a few college credits. The government is not telling me I'm not educated enough to teach my children. I am. A majority of home schooled kids are merely taught by SAHMs putting workbooks on the table.

Cowgirl

Ok, why don't we all just agree to disagree. :peace: I personally wouldn't homeschool my kids (if I have kids), because I don't have the patience. I wouldn't say that ALL homeschool kids are at a disadvantage and all public taught kids are at an advantage. I'm sure there are parents who take the lazy way out when homeschooling, but there are definitely parents out there who go above and beyond when homeschooling.

Let's move on already. :lol:

R

retiredweaxman

I understand your logic but when you only interact with people your own age and a few adults I don't think that represents society. As adults we interact with people of all ages and backgrounds everyday and if a child is in school with kids their own age that is not giving them the ability to do that. Home school children deal with rejection and how to deal with it to. Do you think they are kept inside and never do anything out side of the home? I know some people do but most home schooled children are out there doing a lot of different things. They have more opportunity to do that because they are not stuck in a class room all day.

Sorry mominsmc - have to disagree again. Elementary schools are normally first through fifth grade (some have sixth grades while others put sixth graders in junior high). That means the kids are interacting daily with others that are differing ages. A 4 year difference means a lot to a 6 year old first grader.

By doing things outside the home, what do they do? I remember a field trip in 5th grade (over 30 years ago) where we went to a quarry to look for "gems." The most we found was some mica and garnets - but it was great to compare our finds with others in the class.

I also believe that by being home schooled, the student should not be allowed to take part in extra-curricular activities at the school - whether that be intramural sports, varsity teams or any clubs. If the child is not enrolled in the school, then that student should get no benefit the school has to offer.

Christy

b*tch rocket
. A majority of home schooled kids are merely taught by SAHMs putting workbooks on the table.

Really? I'd love to see the proof of that, rather than merely pulling it out of thin air. Just because you don't have enough confidence in your own abilities as a parent to be able to home school, don't presume that every home schooling parent lacks the confidence and the ability to do so.

It's fine that you choose not to home school your own kids, but to sit and argue that home schooling is a bad thing is just absurd. You don't know what home schooling is about because you have never done it.

foodcritic

I am also educated enough to know my education level. I have just a few college credits. The government is not telling me I'm not educated enough to teach my children. I am. A majority of home schooled kids are merely taught by SAHMs putting workbooks on the table.

I'm a stay at home mom with a college degree (not in education) and worked before I had kids. My kids do use workbooks but I am hands on as well. I think you should stop being so general in your observatons and start backing your arguments up with facts and not just feelings.

foodcritic

Ok, why don't we all just agree to disagree. :peace: I personally wouldn't homeschool my kids (if I have kids), because I don't have the patience. I wouldn't say that ALL homeschool kids are at a disadvantage and all public taught kids are at an advantage. I'm sure there are parents who take the lazy way out when homeschooling, but there are definitely parents out there who go above and beyond when homeschooling.

Let's move on already. :lol:

Just like there are lazy parents who put their children in public school and parents who are really involved in their children's education. But most people think the good home schooling parents are even worse than the lazy ones with kids in public schools.