Homesick for what was....

Cassandra

Well I've been keeping up with this forum since forever because quite frankly you guys make me laugh. There is something to be said for east coast humor.

My husband and I moved to AZ over 20 years ago. He has since passed and I've been contemplating moving home.

I miss the ocean and a few people I love.
But and this is a big Bertha butt....
I despise the politics.
The area in which I currently reside is majority conservative. I can open carry most places, no permit required. To say this cuts down on crime is an understatement,
I've been watching local DC news stations and am shocked at what goes on. What the heck?

I haven't been home since we moved here. Hubby hated the area and said once we left he wasn't returning.

Last summer I cleaned out my house and was getting ready to put it on the market. Then something said, no. Call it a little voice.

I'm thinking it's best to stay here and live out my life.
The thought of driving 2300 miles is daunting. It's not safe for a single woman to drive across country. Also things are much more expensive back there. My current property tax on a 1700 sq foot home is $1500. If they raise the rate it's only a few dollars a year.

Plus people are nice here. Genuinely kind.

I feel like a little lost soul.
Not only did my husband pass, but my two best friends and man who was like a second father to me. All in their early fifties except one. A lot of loss in a short span.

Sigh...

I am blessed with a lovely home that backs to an open ranch. I see mountains, cows, coyotes, antelope and other wildlife. I can literally sit on my rear patio nude and no one would know.

So what am I asking? No idea.
My heart already knows the answer. Perhaps I am looking for something that doesn't exist.

PJay

Well I've been keeping up with this forum since forever because quite frankly you guys make me laugh. There is something to be said for east coast humor.

My husband and I moved to AZ over 20 years ago. He has since passed and I've been contemplating moving home.

I miss the ocean and a few people I love.
But and this is a big Bertha butt....
I despise the politics.
The area in which I currently reside is majority conservative. I can open carry most places, no permit required. To say this cuts down on crime is an understatement,
I've been watching local DC news stations and am shocked at what goes on. What the heck?

I haven't been home since we moved here. Hubby hated the area and said once we left he wasn't returning.

Last summer I cleaned out my house and was getting ready to put it on the market. Then something said, no. Call it a little voice.

I'm thinking it's best to stay here and live out my life.
The thought of driving 2300 miles is daunting. It's not safe for a single woman to drive across country. Also things are much more expensive back there. My current property tax on a 1700 sq foot home is $1500. If they raise the rate it's only a few dollars a year.

Plus people are nice here. Genuinely kind.

I feel like a little lost soul.
Not only did my husband pass, but my two best friends and man who was like a second father to me. All in their early fifties except one. A lot of loss in a short span.

Sigh...

I am blessed with a lovely home that backs to an open ranch. I see mountains, cows, coyotes, antelope and other wildlife. I can literally sit on my rear patio nude and no one would know.

So what am I asking? No idea.
My heart already knows the answer. Perhaps I am looking for something that doesn't exist.

I too was homesick for a while but Maryland has changed so much. No going back..just keep moving forward.

Good luck and appreciate where you are. Sounds really nice 👍

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I miss my friends but I can't honestly say I miss Maryland at all. I'd like to pick crabs again and have a stuffed ham sandwich, but that's about it.

TBH I'm looking at AZ as my next adventure if I decide I need a change. What Cassandra described sounds like utopia to me.

Cassandra

Come out for a visit just to reconfirm your reservations. Then you won't have any What If regrets.
Thank you for the suggestion. I've actually thought about that but right now isn't the time. My sweet kitty is older and he's my best friend. I cannot leave him for any length of time. He misses my husband terribly and panics when left alone. Imagine someone you love just disappearing and you don't know why. Whoever thinks cats don't have a soul are sadly mistaken. xoxo

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Thank you for the suggestion. I've actually thought about that but right now isn't the time. My sweet kitty is older and he's my best friend. I cannot leave him for any length of time. He misses my husband terribly and panics when left alone. Imagine someone you love just disappearing and you don't know why. Whoever thinks cats don't have a soul are sadly mistaken. xoxo
I understand. I had to put down my big boy April of last year. His mother is still kicking at nearly 16. She had a seizure last month and has been a bit off since then.

Cassandra

I miss my friends but I can't honestly say I miss Maryland at all. I'd like to pick crabs again and have a stuffed ham sandwich, but that's about it.

TBH I'm looking at AZ as my next adventure if I decide I need a change. What Cassandra described sounds like utopia to me.
If I am recalling correctly you weren't far from me while you were traveling around AZ. I'm in northern AZ where we get 4 seasons. Even a bit of snow but it melts quickly. Further north into Flagstaff gets quite a bit. I order crabs from ilovecrabs in PA. They ship overnight and are delicious. This past year we've been able to purchase Old Bay locally which is nice. I think you are correct, this is utopia. My grief is getting in the way of clear thinking which is why I didn't move last summer. In time I'm sure I will settle in. I would hate to pack up and move and be miserable. A couple family members have kind of pushed the idea but as time went on I was second guessing a move.

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've been going thru the same kind of gyrations. At some point, I need to relocate. My home is Long Island, and I miss the Sound, never ending sand beaches, great food. But that area also has turned sour. The politicians are out of their ever loving minds. Crime is as bad as here. Used to love going into NYC for daytrips, wouldn't even consider that now. From LI, it was easy access to the NorthEast, beautiful fall camping and skiing, but no longer worth the trip.

Old saying... "Can't go home again." Most times because it's changed too much and isn't what you remember as "home" anymore.

But since I'm a major procrastinator, I'll probably die here.

Toxick

Splat

I moved back to Maryland after transplanting to AZ about 20 years ago.

I miss Arizona so much.

When I lived there, There was a list of things I missed about Maryland.
Here is the list:

• Crabs

I can't wait to go back to AZ. I'm visiting my parents near Tucson next month. I can't wait to go up in the mountains, to walk around in shorts in September. To see sunny skies more than 1 consecutive day, and visit some of my old haunts.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've been going thru the same kind of gyrations. At some point, I need to relocate. My home is Long Island, and I miss the Sound, never ending sand beaches, great food. But that area also has turned sour. The politicians are out of their ever loving minds. Crime is as bad as here. Used to love going into NYC for daytrips, wouldn't even consider that now. From LI, it was easy access to the NorthEast, beautiful fall camping and skiing, but no longer worth the trip.

Old saying... "Can't go home again." Most times because it's changed too much and isn't what you remember as "home" anymore.

But since I'm a major procrastinator, I'll probably die here.
I miss visiting California, but I would never move back.

frequentflier

happy to be living
:huggy: