Honeysuckle

LJ1999

I had a vivid memory over the weekend of Honeysuckle. When I was growing up we had it everywhere, but I've never noticed it at my home now. LOVED the smell of it on summer evenings.

So anyway, I just ordered 2 plants and am trying to figure out where I should plant them. Does anyone here have any experience?

I know it's a vine so I could plant around my deck but I don't know if there are any cons to having it that close to the house????

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Ya'll go ahn ahead and plant that Honey-Suckle!

Thare is nuthin finer in this world than the pleasant fragrance of that sweet blossom in the eve-nin air, sipp'n a Mint Julip from your finest porch rocker just before the sun goes down!

t6xecedbmyqnbmiasjjv.jpg

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

I had a vivid memory over the weekend of Honeysuckle. When I was growing up we had it everywhere, but I've never noticed it at my home now. LOVED the smell of it on summer evenings.

So anyway, I just ordered 2 plants and am trying to figure out where I should plant them. Does anyone here have any experience?

I know it's a vine so I could plant around my deck but I don't know if there are any cons to having it that close to the house????

Plant them next to fence and let it grow on the fence. Added plus is that the fence will be harder to see though to make a great visual barrier.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Here's honeysuckle along with wild grape vines and other assorted climbing plants. All natural. Didn't plant anything next to the fence at all. Home to little birdies and the like. As well as filling in the entire fence line over the years. Nature abhors a vacuum and fills those empty spaces with her majesty.

honeysuckle.jpg

LJ1999

I have decided to plant it in the tree line of the yard. Hopefully close enough to be able to smell but it won't bother anything close to home.

NOTSMC

I have decided to plant it in the tree line of the yard. Hopefully close enough to be able to smell but it won't bother anything close to home.
If you think about it and get a chance; would you mind posting how it's doing? I've been eyeballing a few of the different varieties online - it's between that and swamp jasmine - they both smell so good.

LJ1999

If you think about it and get a chance; would you mind posting how it's doing? I've been eyeballing a few of the different varieties online - it's between that and swamp jasmine - they both smell so good.
Sure. I won't get mine until after the 19th, but I'll let you know

LJ1999

So far so good. The plants came and looked very healthy. They have been planted for about 2 weeks now and seem to be happy.

PeoplesElbow

Ugh hate honey suckle. My fence was lined with it, left it because the neighbor lady liked it. The instant they moved out the honeysuckle was pulled out.

NOTSMC

Yes, one of the plants is blooming. Not enough for me to smell from my deck yet!
That's encouraging. There are some beautiful varieties out there. Thanks for letting me know - my BF is redoing his yard and he's all over the map on what to plant - honeysuckle was one of hundreds of things he mentioned. I may just buy him one.

LJ1999

Just an update. We have a lot of deer that liked nibbling on the honeysuckle plants. So they aren't dead but they did not grow to a nice size. I hope they survive the winter to try again next year!

NOTSMC

Just an update. We have a lot of deer that liked nibbling on the honeysuckle plants. So they aren't dead but they did not grow to a nice size. I hope they survive the winter to try again next year!
Hope they grow back. Why is it they grow wild everywhere year after year but plant them in your yard and all of a sudden it Michelin dining? Thanks for the update.