Honeysuckle

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
I don't know why, but every climatis that I have planted have died. Watercolor, get a lilac bush. Little maintenance, if any, and they last for years.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
FancyBelle said:
I don't know why, but every climatis that I have planted have died. Watercolor, get a lilac bush. Little maintenance, if any, and they last for years.
When planting clematis, I read that you should add some horse manure and mix it well with your soil, then plant in partial sun. We had clematis at our old house and it seemed to do well in full/partial sun. It did a great job of hiding the old well casing.

ylexot

Super Genius
Honeysuckle? KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT ALL! It just won't DIE! And it grows about a foot per hour! :jameo:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
watercolor said:
Has anyone had any luck around here with Honeysuckle? How hard is it to grow? What kind of soil is good for it- and area's that you have had luck with.

I am trying to find a flowering type, pleasant smelling bush, to come up window height on the side of the place where I live.. and honeysuckle smells so good.
Get a Mock Orange bush.. they flower for a LONG time during the summer, and smell TERRIFIC.. you just have to trim to keep it under control..

NICE smelling Rose bush, trim it to any height shape you want.. I've got them to where they can top 7 or 8 feet, but keep them about 5 - 6.. And when they bloom (CONSTANTLY through spring summer and fall) the smell is UNbelievable.. My youngest daughter and I spent almost 2 hours on the floor of Lowes a couple of years back becasue we wanted a SMELLY rose bush.. sat there and sniffed all the roses until we found one we both agreed on..

Agee

ylexot said:
Honeysuckle? KILL IT! KILL IT! KILL IT ALL! It just won't DIE! And it grows about a foot per hour! :jameo:

:yeahthat:

Along with the wild grape and raspberry. Two bad these plants don't produce decent fruit, I could start a winery :ohwell:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Thanks for all the awesome ideas guys. And even though honeysuckle smells great- I think I am detouring from that now! :yay: thanks again! :clap:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Wise move, WC. Honeysuckle is very invasive and once it gets out of hand, it is almost impossible to control. Same with wisteria. Others have given you some great choices: jasmine, mock orange, lilacs, hydrangea and butterfly bush are some of my favorites. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kom526 said:
When planting clematis, I read that you should add some horse manure and mix it well with your soil, then plant in partial sun. We had clematis at our old house and it seemed to do well in full/partial sun. It did a great job of hiding the old well casing.

WELL composted manure else it will fry the plant. :lol: My clemantis are on opposite sides of the front of the house and are doing well as they are shaded during the heat of the day and only get early morning or late afternoon sun. The trick to establishing it is keeping the roots shaded and cool. I have some old granite blocks I used and it worked fabulously. :yay:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
I got a climbing Hydrangea a few years back from The Greenery. It has really grown and is shaded most of the day. If you have a trellis or something, one of those would be great. The soil I planted it in was cruddy and that didn't/doesn't bother it at all. It has covered a 10' x 6' area of chain link fence (dog pen) in two years.