Honolulu, Hawaii

nomoney

Aside from visiting Pearl Harbor, what else is a must? I'll be there in 3 weeks! :buddies:

There is the pineapple dole plantation thingy
Hanauma Bay snorkeling for half a day/day is a must (wear tons of sunscreen on your back!)
Hiking to top of Diamond Head was an awesome experience
Take a day and just drive around the entire island - some great out of the way spots to eat - great little beaches to explore, etc.
Swing by North shore (where all the big waves are )
Do a luah

What hotel are you staying at?

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
There is the pineapple dole plantation thingy
Hanauma Bay snorkeling for half a day/day is a must (wear tons of sunscreen on your back!)
Hiking to top of Diamond Head was an awesome experience
Take a day and just drive around the entire island - some great out of the way spots to eat - great little beaches to explore, etc.
Swing by North shore (where all the big waves are )
Do a luah

What hotel are you staying at?
We'll be at the Marriott. Hubby is already there and this is his view.

Great suggestions! Thanks!!

How long was the hike up DH?

Attachments

• hotel view.jpg
    hotel view.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 147

Littlebit

International MarketPlace, Black Sands Beach, take a drive up Pualua Highway for awesome views. We were stationed there when my hubby was in the Air Force, loved it.
Have an awesome vacation. Try to take a volcano tour and visit the other islands. They have short flights to them. The The Ala Moana shopping mall is a neat place to visit also.

nomoney

We'll be at the Marriott. Hubby is already there and this is his view.

Great suggestions! Thanks!!

How long was the hike up DH?

god, it seems so long ago - I think probably around 30 min give or take? The views up there are awesome though.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Aside from visiting Pearl Harbor, what else is a must? I'll be there in 3 weeks! :buddies:

Get off of Oahu as much as possible! Catch a flight over to Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island. If you buy tickets there they aren't that expensive. The flight to Kauai is less than 30 minutes. Kauai is my most favorite island, you won't want to leave. Kauai Vacation Secrets | Kauai Vacations Travel Guide

You definitely need to take a hike down to Secret Beach if you make it to Kauai. Kauapea (Secret beach) - Kauaiexplorer.com

If possible, go to Bellows on Oahu. Find a military person to get you on there. It's great. Bellows Air Force Station

My favorite places in Oahu are up on the North Shore, Haleiwa is a really cool little surfer town on the North Shore.

checkingthenews

C'mon...Smile!

Go to the Market downtown Waikiki.
Go to the stadium, HUGE flea market and great stuff to buy to take home to friends and family. They sell everything under the sun.
Go to the Sea Life Park
Go to a luau
Go to the Blow Hole
Go to Hanauma Bay world famous snorkling

Have fun! I'm envious, haven't been there since 2005!

HollyRockJT

Jus Chillin...
Go to the Market downtown Waikiki.
Go to the stadium, HUGE flea market and great stuff to buy to take home to friends and family. They sell everything under the sun.
Go to the Sea Life Park
Go to a luau
Go to the Blow Hole
Go to Hanauma Bay world famous snorkling

Have fun! I'm envious, haven't been there since 2005!

Being a Bears fan Chasey, I'd say this could be of interest as well, so far this and what NM said :yay:

acommondisaster

I haven't lived in Hawaii for years, but you've been given some great suggestions. I don't know about the dole pineapple thing, but maybe that's because living there for nearly 8 years, pineapples just werent that exciting and it just seemed to be a "BUY OUR PINEAPPLES AND SHIP THEM HOME" kind of thing. meh.... You didn't mention going to other islands, so I won't address that, other than to say that of all the islands, Kauai was always my favorite.

Definitely go to a luau - they're expensive, but you'll love it. I would suggest Paradise Cove, because they've been doing it right for years and they're on the beach and it's beautiful. Don't go cheap on the luau - really - you get what you pay for. I've been to some pretty crappy luaus (military ones, for sure)

Eat at a lunch wagon. Try the plate lunch.

No one mentioned a dinner cruise. (ie booze cruise) Try to do a sunset one.

No one mentioned hopping on the The Bus and just riding a circle around the island of Oahu - do it. Get off at sunset beach...get off at Makapu...have lunch in Haleiwa (cute little surfer town). Spend some time at Pali lookout. I promised myself I'd never forget that view.

Bellows AFB beach is ok, but it's shady and windy in the afternoon - it's a great early beach. Watch out for scorpions.

If the revolving restaurant is still there at Ala Moana mall, eat lunch there - it's cheaper at lunchtime and the view is amazing.

Enjoy your trip!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Talk to Christy. She went to Hawaii several years ago and saw/did a lot of amazing stuff.

Angel

~*~*~
Here's my list of a few of my favorite things, but also check out: 101 Things on O'ahu

The Monuments: USS Arizona, USS Missouri, USS Utah, USS Nevada
Pacific Aviation Museum
Breakfast at Boots and Kimos ( Boots & Kimo's Homestyle Kitchen - Kailua, HI )
Hike Diamond Head
Hike Makapu'u Lighthouse trail
Drive up Tantilus (Driving Tour of Mount Tantalus and Round Top Drive in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii )
Kualoa Ranch ( Aunty Pat )
Iolani Palace
The North Shore - Hale'iwa
Waimea Valley
Waimea Bay
Check out the turtles at Laniakea ( Laniakea, Oahu: Paradise for Turtle Watchers )
Check out Waikiki
Sea Life Park
Luau at Paradise Cove (there is also Germaines and Polynesian Cultural Center, but we liked Paradise Cove the best)
Valley of the Temples
Polynesian Cultural Center
Turtle Bay (golf)
Hanauma Bay
Dole Pineapple Plantation
Blue Hawaiian Helicopter Tour ( Blue Hawaiian Helicopters, Hawaii Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Helicopter Tour on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Big Island ) - We did this over Oahu and Kauai and look forward to doing this over the other Islands one day too.

Last edited:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I'm back and had an amazing trip!! The weather was gorgeous and probably the best weather I've ever encountered. I was so sad to leave. :frown: