Horse Injury Yesterday - Safety Points

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
So I look into the field yesterday and I see the 2nd horse standing on the other side of the chicken pen, away from the 1st horse (hmm that's odd). Upon investigation I find the right half of her chest is torn wide open (OMG!). So I don't handle emergencies well OK? I get all upset feeling inside and call the vet and toward the end of message I leave, I am in tears.

What seemed like an hour later (it wasn't, only maybe 20 minutes) the ER vet on call returns my call and says she is stitching up a patient in Mechanicsville and she will get to me in about an hour. So I get both horses into the barn to stall them to wait. Getting the injured one into the barn was a tad difficult as she was dragging her front right leg and I'm thinking OMG I'm going to have to put her down possibly? Or she may need to go to ER facility in PA?

Horses in barn now, I commence to looking for blood in the field. Thank goodness they didn't have access to the big grass field I was thinking. So eventually I find a small bit of dark hair on the corner of a ladder rack that is holding some lumber on the side of the barn. I check the ground and find hoof marks that indicate a sliding hoof and I am pretty sure I know what happened.

Horse #1 moseys over to check out the traps I have set to catch the cats I saw. While there in that 10' narrowing on the side of the barn (between fence and barn), horse #2 moves toward horse #1, and fearing being trapped, horse #1 runs out of the narrowing and jumps up to the right into the corner sticking up of the ladder rack (top of rack was at 40" high and injury was at about about 35") then she pulls left to get away from the pressure she felt in her chest - Wound is an inverted "L" shape. Thank goodness that corner of the rack still had most of the black paint intact, although the rack has a good bit of rust on it elsewhere.

Diagnoses is: Laceration to skin, pectoral muscle and axilla on RF today.

I have heard about people finding all kinds of hazards in their horse areas, so this is just a reminder to everyone that you need to look over your facilities well. I KNEW BETTER than to have something like a stack of lumber on a ladder rack accessible to horses. I had it on my list to move the lumber and the ladder rack, but had not had time to get it done. The ladder rack is free to anyone who wants it. If we don't find a home for it this week, we will take it to the recycler.

Both horses are stalled for 2 weeks now (one can't go out w/o the other screaming, [sigh]). Sedatives are needed for the injured one as she doesn't like being stalled for more than a day. I may end up needing sedatives for horse #2 by day 3 of being stalled? All I can do is hope that the stitches do not tear when she gets up and down. She is eating the meds in her feed well (thank goodness). The longer a horse is stalled, the more antsy they get to go outside (at least my 2). It's as if the energy inside them gets all pent up and they act kooky when let out after just 1 or 2 days stalled (bucking and carrying on). I won't even say what the vet bill so far is. I again remind myself, it's MY fault.

Attachments

• 2013-06-16_MollyInjurySmall.jpg
    2013-06-16_MollyInjurySmall.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 347

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
:yikes: Wow, that is bad. I'm glad you found your horse in time and it will recover.

Yes it was very fresh - thankfully I wasn't at work. Vet said that the skin contracts and is difficult to pull back over the wound for full coverage the longer the wound is open. She also said that despite my desire to put healing ointment along the stitches, that the ointments make the tissue soft and could thereby make it easier for the stitches to get pulled through the skin (especially where the wound is). She suggested I put SWAT around the opening for the drain tube.

Horse is still having trouble moving her foot, but she puts weight on it.

DQ2B

If there's one thing I've learned from my horses it's that no matter how "safe" you think you've made things, they'll find a way to hurt themselves anyway.

Good luck with the recovery. keeping the dang stitches in will be the hard part...

Roman

:faint:
So I look into the field yesterday and I see the 2nd horse standing on the other side of the chicken pen, away from the 1st horse (hmm that's odd). Upon investigation I find the right half of her chest is torn wide open (OMG!). So I don't handle emergencies well OK? I get all upset feeling inside and call the vet and toward the end of message I leave, I am in tears.

What seemed like an hour later (it wasn't, only maybe 20 minutes) the ER vet on call returns my call and says she is stitching up a patient in Mechanicsville and she will get to me in about an hour. So I get both horses into the barn to stall them to wait. Getting the injured one into the barn was a tad difficult as she was dragging her front right leg and I'm thinking OMG I'm going to have to put her down possibly? Or she may need to go to ER facility in PA?

Horses in barn now, I commence to looking for blood in the field. Thank goodness they didn't have access to the big grass field I was thinking. So eventually I find a small bit of dark hair on the corner of a ladder rack that is holding some lumber on the side of the barn. I check the ground and find hoof marks that indicate a sliding hoof and I am pretty sure I know what happened.

Horse #1 moseys over to check out the traps I have set to catch the cats I saw. While there in that 10' narrowing on the side of the barn (between fence and barn), horse #2 moves toward horse #1, and fearing being trapped, horse #1 runs out of the narrowing and jumps up to the right into the corner sticking up of the ladder rack (top of rack was at 40" high and injury was at about about 35") then she pulls left to get away from the pressure she felt in her chest - Wound is an inverted "L" shape. Thank goodness that corner of the rack still had most of the black paint intact, although the rack has a good bit of rust on it elsewhere.

I have heard about people finding all kinds of hazards in their horse areas, so this is just a reminder to everyone that you need to look over your facilities well. I KNEW BETTER than to have something like a stack of lumber on a ladder rack accessible to horses. I had it on my list to move the lumber and the ladder rack, but had not had time to get it done. The ladder rack is free to anyone who wants it. If we don't find a home for it this week, we will take it to the recycler.

Both horses are stalled for 2 weeks now (one can't go out w/o the other screaming, [sigh]). Sedatives are needed for the injured one as she doesn't like being stalled for more than a day. I may end up needing sedatives for horse #2 by day 3 of being stalled? All I can do is hope that the stitches do not tear when she gets up and down. She is eating the meds in her feed well (thank goodness). The longer a horse is stalled, the more antsy they get to go outside (at least my 2). It's as if the energy inside them gets all pent up and they act kooky when let out after just 1 or 2 days stalled (bucking and carrying on). I won't even say what the vet bill so far is. I again remind myself, it's MY fault.
OMG Ark, what a wound man!!! I think I would have fainted if I saw that.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If there's one thing I've learned from my horses it's that no matter how "safe" you think you've made things, they'll find a way to hurt themselves anyway.

Good luck with the recovery. keeping the dang stitches in will be the hard part...

She's on Acepro Tabs 25 - 4 tabs 2 x a day - so far it seems to be doing the job. She looks a bit dazed, but not enough that she doesn't respond when I check on her. Interestingly the other horse has been very quiet (next stall). I'm sure she senses her buddy is hurt.

I have to assume that although I haven't seen it, she must have laid down by now in the stall? I checked and her stitches look intact. So far so good, but we have 13 more days of this. Once we get past the first few days, I can breathe easier about the stitches. That is one HUGE wound. Vet said she has several major arteries in that region and to be thankful one of those wasn't involved.

fredsaid2

If you don't already, you might try feeding with a small hole hay net. Keeps them from hoovering up the hay all at once keeping them content longer. Good luck with the recovery!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
If you don't already, you might try feeding with a small hole hay net. Keeps them from hoovering up the hay all at once keeping them content longer. Good luck with the recovery!

I have been managing a FATTY for years LOL. My original fatty is so round that her 32" girth can't get around that belly of hers. Need to find a 36" if I can until I can get some miles on her to work off all that extra weight.

I am using double nibble nets for them BOTH right now (glad I got 4 of them). I provide hay 24/7 inside and outside. I found a place online that sells the smaller ones for a few flakes and the one that can hold an entire small square bale (good for outside to hang from the tree). With the injured one being sedated, I doubled the net initially to be sure she won't choke by grabbing too much hay.

I can't believe my luck that she is eating the grain with the meds mixed in :yahoo:

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I can't believe my luck that she is eating the grain with the meds mixed in :yahoo:

thank god.... it sucks to syringe a horse

there was a mixture my vet was telling me to use....:cds: now i forgot...

but could get in fast

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
thank god.... it sucks to syringe a horse

there was a mixture my vet was telling me to use....:cds: now i forgot...

but could get in fast

You of all people know how hard it can be for the ones that just won't eat the meds in food. Try force feeding a cat with sharp claws - yeah yeah wrap them in a towel, that wasn't easy either lol

I swear I just heard thunder .. is Baja playing around with that darn weather machine again?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
You of all people know how hard it can be for the ones that just won't eat the meds in food. Try force feeding a cat with sharp claws - yeah yeah wrap them in a towel, that wasn't easy either lol

I swear I just heard thunder .. is Baja playing around with that darn weather machine again?

DAMN SYRINGE FEEDING CATS.....:killingme

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
DAMN SYRINGE FEEDING CATS.....:killingme

It isn't fun by any means, but due to their issue with not being able to go for more than a few days without food without internal damage starting, it is necessary or they will probably die.

Looks like my injured horse is a bit more awake this afternoon, so I may have to check her again later to see if she is still that "up" after she had her PM meds. The other horse is now starting to act out from being stalled, I heard her kick the stall wall (good lord it's only been 1 day!), so I may find myself slipping 1 or 2 sedation pills into her feed. Oh I can see this is going to be a fun 2 weeks :sarcasm: .

Hoover

Wow. Glad they and you are okay.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Wow. Glad they and you are okay.

So far so good with the stitches. Every day they stay intact is a positive one for helping her heal.

I've never dealt with a horse injury this bad before. It's certainly gory looking, and I kept my head turned away while the vet worked on her.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
H E LP she stopped eating the feed laced with meds

I hoped this wouldn't happen but she stopped eating the feed laced with meds. I took away her hay bag but overnight she still did not eat the grain. I added molasses to it this morning and stirred it, but she didn't seem interested, so I gave her back her hay. Now what do I try?

She's getting:

2 scoops of bute
15 antibiotic pills
4 sedation pills

I put them in a small amount of water to soften the pills and mix it all up, then mix into her grain in her bucket.

No meds means she's fully awake (bad thing, she doesn't handle being stalled well), in great pain (bad bad bad) and is subject to infection w/o the antibiotics.