Horse Shows

Cricket1978

Hello everyone I am new to the area and the forum!
I am try to figure out what horse shows to do in the spring, in the past I have show both rated and unrated, I don't really care about the rating just looking for well run shows with good classes. Oh I guess I should tell you that I do hunters, so what shows do you guys like best and why? I an in the so. Anne Arundel Co. area.
Thanks for your help!:howdy:

Sparks

I am try to figure out what horse shows to do in the spring, in the past I have show both rated and unrated, I don't really care about the rating just looking for well run shows with good classes. Oh I guess I should tell you that I do hunters, so what shows do you guys like best and why? I an in the so. Anne Arundel Co. area.

Welcome. :howdy: What area do did you come from?

The SMHA (schooling show) and BEST show series (schooling with some MHSA classes) at PGEC are well run in my opinion.

There is also MSA (Schooling with some rated) at PGEC.

devinej

what level hunter classes are you looking for? the PG equestrian center has 3 hunter type schooling series in the summer with lots of 2' to 2'3" divisions of all types, not many entries in classes higher than that unfortunately. there are a couple higher rated shows there in the spring, summer, fall, not too many though

fredsaid2

Welcome!

Go here,United States Equestrian Federation, Inc, plug in Zone 3, you'll get a full list. The two spring rated shows at PG are the Showplace Spring Festival in March and the Md National H/J in April, both by Gary Baker.

You can also check 'coming events' in the back of the Equiery, list has rated and schooling.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
The BEST horse show series is a nice one. It is low key, and pretty relaxed. SMHA is run by the same people. MSA is ok it just goes late with certain classes.

Cricket1978

Thanks for the input, I am looking to do a few rated shows later in the season but I need to get some ring time @ 3 foot with my new horse, if you had to pick a series which one and why? I am looking for the shows with good competition, and that are run well! I recently moved from Indiana. Thanks

devinej

you probably won't find a schooling show with any competition at 3 foot around here, they don't get more than 3 entries for that division usually. they don't have any higher divisions either. Don't know about the A rated ones, i have not been.

for the schooling shows at PGEC try BEST or SMHA. the BEST has a B rated day. i think MSA has a C rated day.

Sparks

Though NOT my favorite series, I think the MSA Saturday Rated would have the most 3' entries. There would be people trying for points in the Childrens and Adults and I think there's a 3' schooling division as well.

Would ya'll agree?

Duckz

Is MerryMount doing their series this year? They said if the farm wasn't sold they would still have shows this summer, but I haven't seen dates yet. Usually they have good turnout in the 3' divisions. It's in Upper Marlboro, so pretty close to you Cricket.

PG Equestrian Center is also very close. MSA will have plenty of competition but you'll be there 'til midnight :whistle: BEST is a newer series that looks promising.

Welcome to SoMD :howdy:

covekat

Check out the shows in Howard County... a little stiffer competition than down here.

Caves Farm in Baltimore puts on a very nice show... so does McDonough, stay away from Garrison Forrest, I hate that place!

Also WBTA, not too far and has a good variety of classes.

Last edited:

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)

Welcome Cricket. :howdy:

Here are the websites to the Local Shows at PG Eq. Centerhttp://showplacearena.com/equestrian.html :

SMHA - Home Page
BEST Horse Shows - Home
Maryland Saddle Association

If you are interested in showing more then C & B Rated shows here is MDHSA website.

Maryland Horse Shows Association

Travel a little further North to here are a few more circuits that can be competitive.

The Official Website of the Howard County Horse Shows Association
WBTA Index
Harford Horse Shows Association, Inc.
BCHSA

Then there are many over in VA.

SnapdragonStbls

If you are looking for 3' classes w/ good competition, there are really nice USEF B shows at McDonogh School in Owings Mills in the summer. They have a few A shows there too. I have a few Children's and AA hunters, you are more than welcome to check our show schedule to see what is out there. We attend about 25-30 rated shows per year (even tomorrow). Visit my website for more good shows; Welcome to www.snapdragonstables.com

Happy Showing. Jamie

Cricket1978

Welcome Cricket. :howdy:

Here are the websites to the Local Shows at PG Eq. Centerhttp://showplacearena.com/equestrian.html :

SMHA - Home Page
BEST Horse Shows - Home
Maryland Saddle Association

If you are interested in showing more then C & B Rated shows here is MDHSA website.

Maryland Horse Shows Association

Travel a little further North to here are a few more circuits that can be competitive.

The Official Website of the Howard County Horse Shows Association
WBTA Index
Harford Horse Shows Association, Inc.
BCHSA

Then there are many over in VA.

Thanks for all the sites, I am noticing that the shows at PG equestrian center that most of you have mentioned don't have class list or updated forms. Any ideas on when they may have more info on them? Just trying to plan my spring/summer.

you all have been very helpful

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
Thanks for all the sites, I am noticing that the shows at PG equestrian center that most of you have mentioned don't have class list or updated forms. Any ideas on when they may have more info on them? Just trying to plan my spring/summer.

you all have been very helpful

They should be loading the class lists soon.

WoodVic

Hey Cricket! where in Indiana are you from? I'm moving there in the summer (Veedersburg aka.western Indy fountain co.) and know I'll be looking for shows, barns buddies, etc. love to know where you were at! also if you do eventing or want to try it Old Hope Farm on the eastern shore has some really fun n relaxed schooling shows (i think their higher levels are up to 3'2) just a thought!!

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Winter Horse Shows » Spring Valley Farm

That's a nice farm saw a flyer in the vets today. Never been there but looking around the website it seems amazing. I've never been to a farm with a bedroom and kitchen! THey have two winter shows and there's another link at the top for horse shows.

It's not a difficult drive. I take my horse to ashland, va for the vet and its very easy from southern maryland. Normally go by myself(i'm 17) If you can handle 95 you can handle richmond!

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Winter Horse Shows » Spring Valley Farm

That's a nice farm saw a flyer in the vets today. Never been there but looking around the website it seems amazing. I've never been to a farm with a bedroom and kitchen! THey have two winter shows and there's another link at the top for horse shows.

It's not a difficult drive. I take my horse to ashland, va for the vet and its very easy from southern maryland. Normally go by myself(i'm 17) If you can handle 95 you can handle richmond!

I just finished browsing the website! and board is $1280!!! :cds: ridiculus! And you can't come on mondays even if you have your own horse