Horse Shows

fredsaid2

I just finished browsing the website! and board is $1280!!! :cds: ridiculus! And you can't come on mondays even if you have your own horse

Monday's are the traditional 'day off' for show horses. Some barns like one day to deal w/ the farm and not clients. That is an awesome looking place. Their indoor is huge! The board is nothing I could handle but they include a lot other places charge extra for. Would be very 'lady of the manor' to have your horse spotless, tacked and ready when you drive up to ride. :biggrin:

bosox

Would be very 'lady of the manor' to have your horse spotless, tacked and ready when you drive up to ride.

growing up in an A barn is "nice" if you don't know better. I would tell you that I did "learn" to clean stalls and tack up the one week of summer camp that I did every year but it does not send you out into the horseworld prepared.

I ended up going off to college, got married, moved overseas and had two kids--and took a 12 year break from riding. When I came back into riding (on a military budget) I did not have the same level of services offered to me. I also thought since I won great year end awards, that I could ride a horse. I got on a green horse after that 12 year break and yikes--it was a real eye opener.

IMHO, those barns like their students not to know how to do things because it leaves the student dependent on them and they can charge additional fees. I learned how to trailer a horse after I was 30 years old. When I was a kid-I'd show up to the showgrounds, sometimes watch my horse come off the trailer, but mostly in time to watch my trainer go around in a few classes (as my warm up for my horse) then I'd jump a few jumps and then go in the classes and "maybe" stay around till my horse got loaded on the trailer and went home.

While it is winter-sure, I'd love someone to clean my barn, keep my horse spotless and tack up for me--but that is just b/c I don't want to go out in the cold lol. I am a much better rider and horseman now that I have to do these things myself. I was on such a learning curve when my daughter joined PC b/c I didn't know very much. Thank goodness, I had a friend "send" me ponies to look at b/c I never bought a horse before. Trainer would bring in horses for me to try and would buy them for us. I have bought several horses since those first pony shopping days--and I am a good crash course student!

Having been on both sides of the fence--it really is not greener over there. I much prefer knowing my horses and caring for them myself (even though they are quite dirty at times) lol

I really would not trade my little house or backyard ponies.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
growing up in an A barn is "nice" if you don't know better. I would tell you that I did "learn" to clean stalls and tack up the one week of summer camp that I did every year but it does not send you out into the horseworld prepared.

I ended up going off to college, got married, moved overseas and had two kids--and took a 12 year break from riding. When I came back into riding (on a military budget) I did not have the same level of services offered to me. I also thought since I won great year end awards, that I could ride a horse. I got on a green horse after that 12 year break and yikes--it was a real eye opener.

IMHO, those barns like their students not to know how to do things because it leaves the student dependent on them and they can charge additional fees. I learned how to trailer a horse after I was 30 years old. When I was a kid-I'd show up to the showgrounds, sometimes watch my horse come off the trailer, but mostly in time to watch my trainer go around in a few classes (as my warm up for my horse) then I'd jump a few jumps and then go in the classes and "maybe" stay around till my horse got loaded on the trailer and went home.

While it is winter-sure, I'd love someone to clean my barn, keep my horse spotless and tack up for me--but that is just b/c I don't want to go out in the cold lol. I am a much better rider and horseman now that I have to do these things myself. I was on such a learning curve when my daughter joined PC b/c I didn't know very much. Thank goodness, I had a friend "send" me ponies to look at b/c I never bought a horse before. Trainer would bring in horses for me to try and would buy them for us. I have bought several horses since those first pony shopping days--and I am a good crash course student!

Having been on both sides of the fence--it really is not greener over there. I much prefer knowing my horses and caring for them myself (even though they are quite dirty at times) lol

I really would not trade my little house or backyard ponies.

The place is gorgeous but I just couldn't see not spending time with my horse while i clean and whatnot it really helps the bond. Somtimes I wish I didn't learn to drive the trailer so young cause then my parents would still come watch but now they don't!

The price is reasonable for the area and all that you get

Sparks

The place is gorgeous but I just couldn't see not spending time with my horse while i clean and whatnot it really helps the bond. Somtimes I wish I didn't learn to drive the trailer so young cause then my parents would still come watch but now they don't!

The price is reasonable for the area and all that you get

If you think that price is reasonable, then I have an open stall for you!! :howdy:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
They have plenty of those types of places up in Mass. Where I used to ride before moving down to MD was like that. I would get to the barn for my lesson and everything was done. I actually started coming earlier because I wanted that spare time to gett o know the lesson horse.

The horses were groomed a couple times a day by the assigned groom. The stall was picked out a few times a day. The horse had shavings up to their fetlocks because they didn't want to risk injury. The indoor was huge. They had a less expensive barn that was only 1000.00 a month but you groomed your own horse.

The one thing I notice is that does include lesson fees so that really isn't a bad deal in all honestly. I wouldn't pay it but if you figured out the monthly expenses it could be justified for some people.

I didn't learn to really drive a trailer until the last year or so. It actually was easier than I thought. I go to the shows the majority of the time alone. My hubby will come sometimes to make sure I am still breathing.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
They have plenty of those types of places up in Mass.

I had this crazy TBx in training at a barn in Middleburg like that. I didn't have to deal with the barn management though as I went through the grand prix jumper trainer instead. And...they'd take their temperatures daily. Cuckoo.

JasperGirl

Yes, they do at least one show a month March - October. Bobby said he would finalize dates by the end of January :howdy:

Okay thanks, How would I find out the finalized show dates. I used to show a Bobby's years ago but I don't remember how to find out the info anymore.

Duckz

Okay thanks, How would I find out the finalized show dates. I used to show a Bobby's years ago but I don't remember how to find out the info anymore.

I will post the dates when he gives us handouts on the show schedule. You could also call the farm and get on the mailing list. The number is 301-475-5434.

devinej

My sister boarded for a short time at Spring Valley Farm. It is one heck of a farm. they have rubber bricks paving the aisle way. their indoor is to die for. they assign you your own personal Mexican groom who is determined to tack your horse for you even if you prefer they do not. the lesson ponies all go into lessons with ear puffs in and some of them with ace (the mexicans call is "agua" - pony needs his agua now)
the trainer at the time my sis was there was ridiculous. her name is teddy or tommy or something like that. i don't know if she is still there. she basically forced my sister to sell the horse she brought there and to start leasing a horse which the trainer picked out (which belonged to a friend and higher up at the virginia horse center in lexington) who had to be loaded up on drugs and had so many "restrictions" (oh, you can't do that with that horse, oh you can't jump the same course twice with that horse or he's crazy, oh oh oh). thank god she got out of there and rid of that poor poor horse.
i'm sure they would run a fine show. they have a fabulous facility. i hope the same people are not running it. that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
My sister boarded for a short time at Spring Valley Farm. It is one heck of a farm. they have rubber bricks paving the aisle way. their indoor is to die for. they assign you your own personal Mexican groom who is determined to tack your horse for you even if you prefer they do not. the lesson ponies all go into lessons with ear puffs in and some of them with ace (the mexicans call is "agua" - pony needs his agua now)
the trainer at the time my sis was there was ridiculous. her name is teddy or tommy or something like that. i don't know if she is still there. she basically forced my sister to sell the horse she brought there and to start leasing a horse which the trainer picked out (which belonged to a friend and higher up at the virginia horse center in lexington) who had to be loaded up on drugs and had so many "restrictions" (oh, you can't do that with that horse, oh you can't jump the same course twice with that horse or he's crazy, oh oh oh). thank god she got out of there and rid of that poor poor horse.
i'm sure they would run a fine show. they have a fabulous facility. i hope the same people are not running it. that was 3 or 4 years ago.

Is that politically correct?:whistle:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
and had so many "restrictions" (oh, you can't do that with that horse, oh you can't jump the same course twice with that horse or he's crazy, oh oh oh). thank god she got out of there and rid of that poor poor horse.

I don't want to know how they showed that poor horse.

devinej

nope you don't. it just so happened that his owner had a lot to do with the running of horse shows in VA...

Cricket1978

Black-eyed Susan updated their website:
The classes list looks like it would be a lot of fun, some fun different classes
Did any of you go last year? how was it?