horses and hurricanes, share your preparations?

JustSayNeigh

Horses and Hurricanes...

Should I lock my two in the barn to prevent injuries from flying debris, or leave the doors open for them to choose? During this evening's pouring rain, their two stalls were soaked, and they chose to stay out. I'm inclined to lock them in the two stalls on the SE side of the barn. No halters on; no phone numbers; the fences are 3-rail vinyl or woven wire; all my neighbors know my two.

wildheartwest

horsetrainer/farrier
medical supplies

Make sure you have alot of medical supplies.....medicines, pressure wraps, antibiotics, bute, banamine, etc.....get yourself coolers for ice and put ice in before the storm.....remember that cell phones do not work when the towers go down.... so have a plan there too....help yourself and help the neighbors too.....the horse people need to stick together....

Hoover

I have ID tags for my boy. I have it wired on all of his stuff just incase I fall off during a ride. But the sharpie/paint thing is an awesome idea - mine is a grey and I have been itching to do some artwork on him now is my chance - lol. I am on my way to Elam now to get some leg wraps just incase he should get nervous as he likes to pace being an ex-race horse. Maybe I should get some boots also just to be safe. Thanks D for the fly mask idea never would have thought of that one.

fredsaid2

Mine will probably be safest stalled during the worst of the storm. No shelter in the pastures for them. Topping off water troughs and clearing drainage ditches around the barn. My preference is halters on in case they get loose. Have plenty of feed and necessities for the duration. Batten down and hope for the best!

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
It'll prolly be a good idea to put fly masks on to protect them from flying debris.

You have no barn type shelter do you plan to keep yours all out? You have alot of woods so that could be good/bad...I am not sure either at this point..this morning I moved portable round pen panels into the barn to set up portable stalls...the 3 pasos I will put in one stall (14 X 16) my barn stood the last storm we had a few years ago...what is the compairson on the two??

Duckz

Woodbury horses are coming in tomorrow morning and staying in stalls until the storm passes. We're thinking they're more likely to be injured by flying debris outside, less likely that the barn will fall down on them.

If you leave halters on, make sure they are break-away!

I like the idea of braiding ID tags in their manes, will do that with mine even though he's in a stall, just in case...

Good luck everyone :huggy: Stay safe.

PrepH4U

Well mine are now done and are walking billboards. :lol: I am thinking along with the phone number on them I should be selling ad space :lol:

Loper

Animal Poor!
Woodbury horses are coming in tomorrow morning and staying in stalls until the storm passes. We're thinking they're more likely to be injured by flying debris outside, less likely that the barn will fall down on them.

If you leave halters on, make sure they are break-away!

I like the idea of braiding ID tags in their manes, will do that with mine even though he's in a stall, just in case...

Good luck everyone :huggy: Stay safe.

:yay:
We have decided to do the same!! Hope everyone stays safe as well as all our 4 legged friends!!

FrmGrl

Get some!
Down here they tell us to never, ever keep horses in a barn no matter how sturdy during a hurricane. Have your trailers hitched up and lots of water. I have so many trees in my pasture I would be out there cutting off all kinds of limbs prior to a hurricane. Guess I better get a plan and soon!!

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I heard a call earlier this morning on the Calvert scanner for a collapsed barn with horses trapped inside. Hope they were okay.

PrepH4U

I heard a call earlier this morning on the Calvert scanner for a collapsed barn with horses trapped inside. Hope they were okay.

Oh man that totally sucks! I hope all works out ok.
We were very lucky only 6 trees down in the pasture. One is way to big for us to handle, about a ten foot high root ball. So we just made the pasture a little bit smaller. :lol:

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Lots of trees down. Horses all fine...they were out in pastures. Some chose to stay in run ins some chose to graze during the storm. Huge trees came down next to barn. No structure damage. Mr. Paul Bunion (my husband) has been cutting all day. We have mega firewood and couple really cool new jumps. :)

DQ2B

Wow, we have tons of trees down. One on the fenceline which ripped my end bracket right out and snapped the bolt. It's Centaur vinyl though so hopefully, once we get the tree off it we'll be able to just get a new bolt for the end bracket and tighten it back up. Horses were fine depite trees crashing down all over. Even my arena took the pounding really well. I was able to ride in it after lunchtime. Now if we can just figure out what to do with all the downed trees, don't think any of the ones in the yard are good for firewood, bummer.