horses and hurricanes, share your preparations?

KingFish

Nothing to see here
I heard a call earlier this morning on the Calvert scanner for a collapsed barn with horses trapped inside. Hope they were okay.

Daughter told me that they all died. 7 horses in a barn in saint leonard area. Barn collapsed. :(

wildheartwest

horsetrainer/farrier
tragedy

Daughter told me that they all died. 7 horses in a barn in saint leonard area. Barn collapsed. :(

I was told when I mentioned my experience with Hurricane Charley that it wasnt their first rodeo.....sad to say that in Hurricane situations there is so much that can happen that what you think is safe one place is not in another during these storms. Barns collapsed here too killing alot of livestock. It has been always argued back and forth to turn them out because of the the barns not being able to withstand certain forces of the wind in certain directions. It is very sad to hear this news, but something always dies in these storms. Just dont know who what and where.....rip

DeeCee

A horse of course!
With the help of our neighbor, we chainsawed through 7 trees down our lane and into our drive around 8:00 pm (right at the beginning of the storm) to find Hondo and Trou trapped in the corner of their field by a huge tree that had come down from across the drive. I panicked and nearly threw up, just knowing they were dead under that tree, it took out the fence on 2 sides.

RC and our neighbor dove into the tree/field to locate the boys and found them alive and well, just trapped and unwilling to come out. RC and the neighbor came back out with news and we sent him home and Tay-Tay, RC and I hacked our way back to retrieve them to put them into the barn. Hondo was calling all the way looking for the others - and I'm running as hard as my short legs could go hauling him along - ended up leaving Tay, RC and Trou in the dust AND the barn paddock gate open thinking they were right behind me. Ended up letting 2 geldings run out and straight into Trou, RC and Tay who drove them back into the paddock in the pitch black. Then had to "convince" Trou to go into the barn, he was afraid of going inside! It was AWFUL, trees coming down all around - I've lost count of the number of trees we've lost - including losing one very large, old tulip poplar, to what appears to be a twister, just on the other side of the barn and foal field in the big field.

Thankfully everyone escaped unscathed save for one superficial scrape on Peaches' chest. We are counting our blessings. All of ours were also out except Hondo and Trou and only because their fence was destroyed during the storm.

I feel so bad for those people and horses. It's hard to know what is best at a time like this. Sadly, one can't predict the future and everyone does what they feel is best.