House Questions

Nanny Pam

crabcake said:
I've never seen N or G eat murderous dogs. :confused: They must have your kids confused with someone else's kids at the Mongolian BBQ. :ohwell:
vBulletin Message
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to crabcake again.

Pix,
I had cath ceilings in the last house. It definately makes a difference in heating & cooling. Yes, I had ceiling fans, too. This house does not have cath ceilings and it even has more sq,ft. but the heat & cooling bills are much lower.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
huntr1 said:
Do you reverse the rotation of the fans? Have them blow UP in winter and DOWN in summer. We were able to raise our thermostat to 75 an still be quite comfortable with the fan blowing down, as opposed to 72 with it blowing up.
I never know what's better...e.g. the winter... "suck" the cold air up and displace the hot air... or "blow" the hot air down. :confused:

sleuth said:
I never know what's better...e.g. the winter... "suck" the cold air up and displace the hot air... or "blow" the hot air down. :confused:
It used to cornfused me too. Do it my way. I am always right. Except when I am wrong.

Hot N Bothered

sleuth said:
If you blow the heat up, since it already is on the rise, it pushes out and when it hits the walls is forced to sink back down. Blowing down has the same effect as fanning yourself with a piece of paper, it makes you feel cooler.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
pixiegirl said:
I have a few questions about houses.

1) Do cathedral ceilings impact heating/cooling at all?

We have them in our bedroom and it definitely impacts the temperature in the room. We also have 9' ceilings throughout our 1st floor and a large open foyer, and I'd say it definitely impacts that a bit as well.

Cletus_Vandam

You need to weigh what you want more of when it comes to ceilings. Flat ceilings give you the oppertunity for attic storage. You can pretty much forget about that with vaulted ceilings.

As for heating costs, a lot of that depends on how tall of a vault your referring to. I have a small office that's about 14' wide the vault starts at 9' and rises up to about 13'. It doesn't have a bid effect on the heating of the space, but I do have a ceiling fan and reverse the direction in spring and fall.

As for wood siding.... I personally would suggest going to an alternative. Wood can be problematic in the Maryland climate, not to mention you need to consider how close it will be to grade, how big your overhangs are and which direction the walls to receive wood siding are going to be facing. For example, walls facing north don't get a lot of direct sun. As a result, moisture doesn't get evaporated and wall surfaces begin to mold. With vinyl, brick, and other siding materials this can be cleaned with a water and cleaning solution. Introducing more water to wood siding is the last thing you want to.

For painting wood.... Unless you want to do it again every year or two, I would not advise it. If you really have to have wood siding and it has to be a "color", I would suggest a transparent or semi-transparent stain. You'll still be re-staining periodically; just not as often (every 5 to 7 years).

Just my 2 cents....

SeaRide

Wood siding .. I may be off the topic on wood siding. If you are talking about R-111 type, watch out for those carpenter bees that will bore holes in it. Be sure to keep an eye on it and maintain the paint quality on it so it won't fade or it won't warp.

meme

The Smart Hooker
I have Cathedral Ceilings all throughout my house. I couldn't tell you if it makes a difference because I crank up the AC and get the ceiling fans going. Someone mentioned attic space...I have ton of attic space. I have one of those "hip roofs." As for the siding...can't comment. I live in a concrete block house....gotta watch out for them damn hurricanes. But I can say that I love the Cathedral Ceilings (as least for cosmetic reasons.)

K

Katie

Our bedroom has cathedral ceilings and we do have a hard time cooling the bedroom in the summertime. We have a ceiling fan and it helps some. We got a window unit for the bedroom. The wintertime I am not sure yet, because we didn't move in until April.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
DoWhat said:
Cedar siding.
Good.
How often does cedar siding need to be refinished/treated/whatever it's called to keep that nice look to it? I've seen a few houses that I liked that had it, and wondered how much maintenance it involved.