Votes: 25 58.1%
  • Ack! Beach Boys suck!

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Can take 'em of leave 'em

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...the Beach Boys are the perfect example of the cynicism and sarcasm inherent in American culture; The quintessential wholesome boys singing about wholesome things and playing wholesome notes and chords at a wholesome tempo with no ugly notes, wicked time changes or brown notes written and performed by a bunch of demented psychopaths.

As long as it looks good on the outside, it's OK. Never mind the rot under neath.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...the Beach Boys are the perfect example of the cynicism and sarcasm inherent in American culture; The quintessential wholesome boys singing about wholesome things and playing wholesome notes and chords at a wholesome tempo with no ugly notes, wicked time changes or brown notes written and performed by a bunch of demented psychopaths.

As long as it looks good on the outside, it's OK. Never mind the rot under neath.

Yeah, because those Beatles and that Elvis were such nice wholesome boys. :lol:

Not to mention Hank Williams (the real one, not Jr.)

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I challenge someone to name an extremely talented artist who isn't nuts.

YouTube - The Beach Boys - Surfin' USA [Live]

I'm not sure where you are going with this. This is not my idea of 'extremely talented.' I think Dennis went insane because he trapped himself into doing this mindless pablum for a living.

Nor does it address the tastes of the buying public nor how it is expressed in the hypocrisy and cynicism of the music industry.

In sport, we want the best; the fastest, the strongest, the most clever, resourceful, etc. In music, we celebrate and elevate...not the most talented, or most creative; we like celebrity; that which appeals to whatever image it is that is selling at the moment. It's just like our politics; we'll accept anyone if they are attractive, never mind how much they actually do or don't know and understand about the constitution.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
Since we have a handful of cultural infidels who don't like the Beatles and/or Elvis (freakin' Al Qaeda terrorists), what say you about the Beach Boys? (Or, as my ex used to call them, The Beach Old Men :lol:)

I love the Beach Boys and think they are geniuses.

You would like, no LOVE a new band Fleet Foxes, I purchased both albums throuhg itunes and missed them coming to DC :burning: My son even likes them. Listen to Mykonos, Winter Hymnal, English House, Blue Ridge Mountains.... not a bad song on either album.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I challenge someone to name an extremely talented artist who isn't nuts.

...is Michael Jackson nuts or did the lifestyle make him nuts? Would he still be a loon had he lost his voice at age 12?

Point is, I think he would still be creative yet I don't know that he'd be nuts.

morningbell

hmmmmmm
...is Michael Jackson nuts or did the lifestyle make him nuts? Would he still be a loon had he lost his voice at age 12?

Point is, I think he would still be creative yet I don't know that he'd be nuts.

OH! I forgot, I NEVER liked Micheal Jackson either. Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, all CRAP!

Little Michael Jackson was good :yay: you know when he was black.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

OH! I forgot, I NEVER liked Micheal Jackson either. Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, all CRAP!

Little Michael Jackson was good :yay: you know when he was black.

OK, but you don't have to like Jackson to recognize his genius as a songwriter and performer.

Right?

morningbell

hmmmmmm
OK, but you don't have to like Jackson to recognize his genius as a songwriter and performer.

Right?

I do know a lot of people liked him :shrug: Genius... if you say so, i just don't like his music. For me its a matter of taste, yet how could so many awards and chart busting hits/album be wrong.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I do know a lot of people liked him :shrug: Genius... if you say so, i just don't like his music. For me its a matter of taste, yet how could so many awards and chart busting hits/album be wrong.

I can't stand him. At all. However, I readily call him genius.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I see what you mean but I think I had written him off at Billie Jean :ohwell: I don't think he is a genius. Bob Dylan, now there is a genius for you.

OK, so now we can relate. I've always been amazed at the credit Dylan gets for being a third rate poet and fourth rate musician.

:lol:

:buddies:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
OK, so now we can relate. I've always been amazed at the credit Dylan gets for being a third rate poet and fourth rate musician.

:lol:

I KNOW!! I used to just read his lyrics b/c he is such a freakin genius.

I can't wait until my son is old enough to comprehend his lyrics, my son also loves him.

I was spinning Abbey Road last night and the boy told me he wanted it on his ipod :lol: I told him to look at the record player, he was amazed, he said he heard there was a needle and he see "holes like lines". He loves the Beatles and can identify them in any song as well as Dylan and Elvis. Loves the Ventures too, the kid is an old soul.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I KNOW!! I used to just rad his lyrics b/c he is such a freakin genius.

I can't wait until my son is old enough to comprehend his lyrics, my son also loves him.

I was spinning Abbey Road last night and the boy told me he wanted it on his ipod :lol: I told him to look at the record player, he was amazed, he said he heard there was a needle and he see "holes like lines". He loves the Beatles and can identify them in any song as well as Dylan and Elvis. Loves the Ventures too, the kid is an old soul.

...uh, just to clarify, I can't stand Dylan and I never 'got it'. :shrug:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm not sure where you are going with this. This is not my idea of 'extremely talented.' I think Dennis went insane because he trapped himself into doing this mindless pablum for a living.

Larry.

Brian Wilson (the most insane one) was a freakin' genius and has influenced musicians of all genres. Pet Sounds is routinely listed as one of the most influential albums ever recorded.