How Dollar Stores Quietly Consumed America

Clem72

About 25 years ago before I remember there being any big nationwide chains of dollar stores, there was a mom and pop dollar store in my town that sold stuff that clearly should cost more than a dollar. Packs of CDRs, dishes, CFL lights, 6-packs of energy drinks, goldfish / Beta fish in a small glass tank, really nice fake plants, kids toys like NERF guns, automotive stuff like floor mats and stop-leak or fix a flat. I remember buying a Pioneer TOSLINK cable that would have cost me $30+ online. Everything was a buck, tax already included.

I assumed it was a money laundering scheme or something.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I don't get the attraction. Many things are no cheaper than other stores, and I always feel like I'm walking thru a 3rd world county. Dark lighting, stuff strewn everywhere...

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Read an article a couple weeks ago about how DG is facing financial difficulties this year. Stock was down 31% at one point. Quarterly financials worse than last year. Analyst wrote that years of mismanagement and lousy inventory control are catching up.

SamSpade

I don't get the attraction. Many things are no cheaper than other stores, and I always feel like I'm walking thru a 3rd world county. Dark lighting, stuff strewn everywhere...
Well for one - for me - it's just plain CLOSER. And if the staff is on the ball, you can go in, buy your milk and bread and be out in minutes.

If I go to ALDI - it's a waste of time to go small. The lines are just too damned long. I'm not standing in line for fifteen minutes - for MILK.
If I go to Harris Teeter or Giant - yeah - I can be in and out - but HT puts their milk in the back corner. Giant at least puts it in the back but a straight walk from the door.

They're convenience stores with emphasis on convenience. 7 elevens are convenience stores, but get real - they sell snacks. And Big Gulps. You can actually get medicine, a coffee machine, socks and a hose at DG. Something even HT and Giant and ALDI don't have.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
If I go to ALDI - it's a waste of time to go small. The lines are just too damned long.
I've never stood on line in Aldi for more than 5 minutes at it's worst. Most of the time it's just a minute or two. Their checkers are just fast as all get out.

SamSpade

I've never stood on line in Aldi for more than 5 minutes at it's worst. Most of the time it's just a minute or two. Their checkers are just fast as all get out.
Oh they ARE fast. But most times when I’m there, they have ONE checker and a line of 6 or 7 customers with full carts. They could benefit from a self checkout. Pisses me off that I can’t just buy milk or eggs. It’s pointless.

DG can be like that. I’ve been in there with more than a dozen people in line for one register.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Oh they ARE fast. But most times when I’m there, they have ONE checker and a line of 6 or 7 customers with full carts. They could benefit from a self checkout. Pisses me off that I can’t just buy milk or eggs. It’s pointless.

DG can be like that. I’ve been in there with more than a dozen people in line for one register.
Some Aldi's do have self check outs. I agree with you about DG and we live around the corner from each other. It is close and works in a pinch. Especially when I needed the Get Well Soon balloon for the dead deer out on my road.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....

You got your wish, Sam. 6 new self checkout lines just installed. Not active yet.

glhs837

Power with Control
Read an article a couple weeks ago about how DG is facing financial difficulties this year. Stock was down 31% at one point. Quarterly financials worse than last year. Analyst wrote that years of mismanagement and lousy inventory control are catching up.
Well for one - for me - it's just plain CLOSER. And if the staff is on the ball, you can go in, buy your milk and bread and be out in minutes.

If I go to ALDI - it's a waste of time to go small. The lines are just too damned long. I'm not standing in line for fifteen minutes - for MILK.
If I go to Harris Teeter or Giant - yeah - I can be in and out - but HT puts their milk in the back corner. Giant at least puts it in the back but a straight walk from the door.

They're convenience stores with emphasis on convenience. 7 elevens are convenience stores, but get real - they sell snacks. And Big Gulps. You can actually get medicine, a coffee machine, socks and a hose at DG. Something even HT and Giant and ALDI don't have.

Yep to both. They struggle to keep places kept up and with enough help., Ridge used to spotless and with no product in the aisles. Not so much anymore. But where I live, I can hit the Hermanville or Ridge faster than any grocery store

PeoplesElbow

That is a MD thing, I have been in dollar stores that are neat, well organized etc, just not in Maryland. The dollar general in my hometown even sells beer.

limblips

PREMO Member
About 25 years ago before I remember there being any big nationwide chains of dollar stores, there was a mom and pop dollar store in my town that sold stuff that clearly should cost more than a dollar. Packs of CDRs, dishes, CFL lights, 6-packs of energy drinks, goldfish / Beta fish in a small glass tank, really nice fake plants, kids toys like NERF guns, automotive stuff like floor mats and stop-leak or fix a flat. I remember buying a Pioneer TOSLINK cable that would have cost me $30+ online. Everything was a buck, tax already included.

I assumed it was a money laundering scheme or something.
Who remembers Crazy Eddie's in NYC area? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Eddie