How Dollar Stores Quietly Consumed America

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've bought beer at a self checkout before. One place required the employee to come over to verify, the other scans my ID and sends me on my way.
Vonns in Cali requires one to use full service checkout. Crazy if I'm purchasing just one 6-pack.

Clem72

I don't get the attraction. Many things are no cheaper than other stores, and I always feel like I'm walking thru a 3rd world county. Dark lighting, stuff strewn everywhere...
It isn't meant to be cheaper per item, it's cheaper per visit.

Think of it like the opposite of Costco. At Costco you buy things in bulk, but save per item/ounce/etc. You spend more at the register, but you are saving overall. At dollar stores like DG you are buying smaller items (fewer pieces, fewer oz, less sheets on the paper towel roll, etc.) so even though the per unit cost is higher, you may pay less at the register to buy the same things.
It doesn't make sense for someone who is financially literate and has the funds to spend appropriately. It does make sense for someone who has $20 and a list of items they need to pickup for their immediate needs.

Which is why you see more DGs in economically depressed areas.

Kinnakeet

Why does anyone even go to those stores you are really not saving anything in my opinion just go to Safeway..etc and get all done and a liquor store for alcohol

stgislander

PREMO Member
Why does anyone even go to those stores you are really not saving anything in my opinion just go to Safeway..etc and get all done and a liquor store for alcohol
I image you save on gas if there isn't a Giant or HT within a reasonable driving distance and you just need a few staples. On VA218 between Dahlgren and Falmouth, there is a new DG seemingly in the middle of nowhere. Probably for just that reason.

black dog

Free America
Tennessee Valley Power has beer in their vending machines
Interesting, I worked in a few over the years. I want to say close to Paducah and Muscle Shoals. lol, both were dry then.
We must not have eaten in any of there Cafeteria's, I would remember that.
Paducah had a few good places to eat downtown, Jeremiahs was memorable and BBQ at one of the Titty Bars.
Getting a picture in Metropolis in the square. Just text'ed the man I was working with, he was laughing.

PeoplesElbow

Interesting, I worked in a few over the years. I want to say close to Paducah and Muscle Shoals. lol, both were dry then.
We must not have eaten in any of there Cafeteria's, I would remember that.
Paducah had a few good places to eat downtown, Jeremiahs was memorable and BBQ at one of the Titty Bars.
Getting a picture in Metropolis in the square. Just text'ed the man I was working with, he was laughing.
Not sure it would be anywhere that outside people could see them. Friend got a job with them straight out of college and had to call me and tell me about it.