How honest do you think most folks are?

DEEKAYPEE8569

If you dropped .01, would someone say something to you? Or would the chances of 'Excuse me, but you dropped.....' increase or decrease depending on the $ denomination? .01 or $1.00 or $100.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think the likelihood of someone saying, "Hey, you dropped this," increases with the value of the item. If I saw someone drop a penny I doubt I'd mention it. A quarter, probably. A dollar, definitely. A $20, absolutely. $100, I'd chase them down to give it back.

I think people are more dishonest with their narrative than they are with tangible items. As in, someone will lie right to your face but won't cob your dropped $20.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I think the likelihood of someone saying, "Hey, you dropped this," increases with the value of the item. If I saw someone drop a penny I doubt I'd mention it. A quarter, probably. A dollar, definitely. A $20, absolutely. $100, I'd chase them down to give it back.

I think people are more dishonest with their narrative than they are with tangible items. As in, someone will lie right to your face but won't cob your dropped $20.
If I saw that someone dropped money he/she was trying to put away, I think I would say something; mostly because these days, if you try to surreptitiously attempt to take the money yourself, someone would take notice and, "HEY! he/she just stole that money that man/woman etc. dropped!"

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I saw that someone dropped money he/she was trying to put away, I think I would say something; mostly because these days, if you try to surreptitiously attempted to take the money yourself, someone would take notice and, "HEY! he/she just stole that money that man/woman etc. dropped!"

Well, I wouldn't not take the money just because someone might see me. I wouldn't take it because stealing is bad karma and the Gods will smite you. Plus, say someone drops a $20 and you pick it up and take it; that $20 might be all they had to feed their kids for the next week. I can't have that on my conscience.

If I saw that someone dropped money he/she was trying to put away, I think I would say something; mostly because these days, if you try to surreptitiously attempted to take the money yourself, someone would take notice and, "HEY! he/she just stole that money that man/woman etc. dropped!"

So where you fall on the moral compass depends on whether you think you will get caught?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So where you fall on the moral compass depends on whether you think you will get caught?

Now, that's an interesting topic because I do think that many (perhaps most) people are honest just because they don't want to get caught.

I'm okay with that, though. Whatever works.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
We found a dollar bill in the parking lot at Bruster's last night. Since no one in my group saw who may have dropped it, and there was a huge crowd in line, we used that as a teaching moment for the little one. He realized it was best to give to the girl at the counter towards the tip. He learned what paying it forward means.

luvmygdaughters

Interesting, I was in Food Lion yesterday, had my wallet in my hand and the damn zipper is broke, some change fell out onto the floor. I saw a dime an two nickels, after I bent down to pick them up, I feel a tap on my arm, the little boy ( 6 or 7 years old) who was behind me in the check out lane, gave me three quarters I hadn't realized had also fallen on the floor. I was in a hurry and took the quarters from him and said thank you very much. I started out the door and then realized how selfish that was, so, I went back to the check out line, took the three quarters and gave it back to the little boy and said thank you for being so honest. You should've seen the smile on that kids face and his parents as well. I also threw in an extra $1.00. So, I'd like to think that most people are honest, because that's the way they were raised. What happened yesterday, gives me a little more faith that not all of today's kids are selfish, uncaring, little mini me's of their parents.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Interesting, I was in Food Lion yesterday, had my wallet in my hand and the damn zipper is broke, some change fell out onto the floor. I saw a dime an two nickels, after I bent down to pick them up, I feel a tap on my arm, the little boy ( 6 or 7 years old) who was behind me in the check out lane, gave me three quarters I hadn't realized had also fallen on the floor. I was in a hurry and took the quarters from him and said thank you very much. I started out the door and then realized how selfish that was, so, I went back to the check out line, took the three quarters and gave it back to the little boy and said thank you for being so honest. You should've seen the smile on that kids face and his parents as well. I also through in an extra $1.00. So, I'd like to think that most people are honest, because that's the way they were raised. What happened yesterday, gives me a little more faith that not all of today's kids are selfish, uncaring, little mini me's of their parents.

How nice! Yay to that kid's mom and dad, and yay to LuckyBee for teaching her kiddo to do the right thing. :clap:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I had already pulled away from the widow at Wendy's when I discovered that the cashier had given me change for a 20 when I'd paid with a 10. I went back through the drive thru and returned the extra. They were flabbergasted

Wishbone

Last time I was in a strip joint one of the girls dropped a ten spot walking past my table.

I picked it up and got her attention and gave it back to her.

... A dollar at a time.

luvmygdaughters

I had already pulled away from the widow at Wendy's when I discovered that the cashier had given me change for a 20 when I'd paid with a 10. I went back through the drive thru and returned the extra. They were flabbergasted

Flabbergasted would be an understatement I'm sure. Good on you for doing the right thing!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Flabbergasted would be an understatement I'm sure. Good on you for doing the right thing!!

Don't know any other way. And I'm pretty sure cashiers get their pay docked for drawer shortages on their shifts. I can still distinctly recall the look the girl gave me as I was handing the cash towards her as I explained why I was doing so. She was looking at me like I had two heads or sumthin..

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Totally true for most..

In the Army if your wallet got stolen in the barracks.. the person who's wallet was stolen got into trouble as well.. for leaving their possessions unsecured.. giving a person the opportunity for them to commit a criminal act is almost as bad as committing the criminal act.

Leaving your keys in your car...

Leaving your car running while going into the store..

Leaving a wallet or purse in plain site in an unlocked car..

HUNDREDS of examples where normally honest people can be persuaded by opportunity to do the wrong thing..

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Not exactly the same scenario, but I have done similar.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm pretty honest. I have returned things before. This morning I was given a Military/Veteran discount. I inquired why and pointed out the fact that I am neither. I offered for him to make it right and he declined. The guy told me he was giving it to everyone today. Okay... :shrug: