How much land

mingiz

Horse Poor
A friend is looking at houses but wants enough land to get a horse. Does anyome know what the land requirement is. I know when I bought my first house it was 3 acres for the first one and an acre for every head after that. Has it changed any?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
appyday said:
I know it is 3 in St Marys I think 5 in St Charles or Calvert...I remember when we were looking at property and knew how many horses I had we had to get like 8 acres..
The reference to five acres is in the tax law. RE to be taxed as an agricultural property, based on livestock, you must own >5 acres, and have at LEAST one animal per acre, unless you have sheep, pigs, etc, they you must own FIVE animals per acre.

I can't find ANYTHING about property size minimums in MD.

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
I know off the top of my head 2 properties in Calvert that are just over 1 acre that allow horses. One is already set up with fencing and a brand new run in shelter. Depends on each areas restrictions. Is your friend looking in a specific area or for a certain amount of horses to keep?

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
You would have to take into consideration both HOA restrictions and local planning and zoning restrictions. His agent should be able to check all of that out for him.

W

WildHorses

beachbunny said:
You would have to take into consideration both HOA restrictions and local planning and zoning restrictions. His agent should be able to check all of that out for him.

:yeahthat: I believe the unwritten law in Calvert is one acre for the first horse and 1/2 acre for each horse thereafter, but can't find a reference to that. :stupid: There is an ordinance stating that a stable has to be at least 3 acres but I don't know if it was the subject of change in 2005. :howdy: Definitely check the HOA restrictions before purchasing. We once looked at a piece of property in a subdivision sold for its "pasturial" view and discovered through the restrictions that the pasture would belong to the person selling the house and part of his property. The property he was keeping was the only pasture allowed in the subdivision and you would get to look at his horses from the window of your million dollar home! :lmao:

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
Good advice Wild Horses.

Good luck mingiz with helping your friend. Hope they find something they like. There are some really nice larger farms available now too if they are looking for lots of land.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Thanks all...There looking at a house south of the base in a sub division. There is a house that has horses there. The lot is almost 3 acres. I'm like Appy It was 3 acres for the first head and then an acre per head after that. Because at the time I bought the extra lot so I would be legal. Thanks Again :howdy:
PS not to sound dumb ... :smack: but what is HOA....

mingiz

Horse Poor
fredsaid2 said:
I've heard it before as....Home Owner's Association.

Thanks I have never lived in a development or anything to do with other people telling me what I can and can't do with my property. I love my 27 acres of serenity. :lmao:

fredsaid2

mingiz said:
Thanks I have never lived in a development or anything to do with other people telling me what I can and can't do with my property. I love my 27 acres of serenity. :lmao:
Wow, 27 acres! You're like a land baron in this day and age. Can you imagine buying that 27 at today's prices? Must be lovely to have all that space : )

R

remaxrealtor

mingiz said:
A friend is looking at houses but wants enough land to get a horse. Does anyome know what the land requirement is. I know when I bought my first house it was 3 acres for the first one and an acre for every head after that. Has it changed any?

That's the rule! You know your stuff! :howdy:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
remaxrealtor said:
That's the rule! You know your stuff! :howdy:
Where's the rule??

I've searched Maryland law, and there is nothing there.

ANd the Math doesn't work when it comes to the Ag/ tax law.. FIVE horses on FIVE acres.. according to what she posted you could only have THREE horses on 5 acres..

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
appyday said:
:huzzy:

My friend got 40 acres in Hollywood last year for $40K now she is selling for almost 1/2 mil with no house..

Has your friend sold yet? May know a buyer for her if not. Let me know! :howdy:

R

remaxrealtor

itsbob said:
Where's the rule??

I've searched Maryland law, and there is nothing there.

ANd the Math doesn't work when it comes to the Ag/ tax law.. FIVE horses on FIVE acres.. according to what she posted you could only have THREE horses on 5 acres..
You have to know where to look :huggy: !

Land Use and Growth Management. There are setback regulations for barns, etc. as well, and of course you need to follow HOA Covenants and Restrictions if they apply.

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
RemaxRealtor,

That horse in your picture is beautiful. Is he yours? If so, I bet you are enjoying this great weather we are having now and getting in lots of riding time. Have a great day!

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
mingiz said:

These are for Saint Mary's County : Planning and Zoning Faq ( Linky )

FAQ #6: How many animals may I have on my property?

Our zoning ordinance does not regulate the number of animals kept for agricultural activities.
However, animal husbandry operations must maintain adequate fencing or other means of confinement (CZO Section 51.3.3.a).
Animals kept for personal enjoyment are not regulated by the zoning ordinance except when shelter is provided for hoofed animals. A stable requires at least three acres of land.
If a stable is provided, two “large animals” per acre are permitted (CZO Section 51.3.118). “Large animal” is not defined.

FAQ #18: Can I have a horse on my property?

Horses are regulated by our zoning ordinance only with respect to their shelter. A private stable is described as an accessory structure, not related to the ordinary operation of a farm, for housing hoofed animals (CZO Schedule 50.4 Use Type 118).
A private stable is a permitted accessory use in the RPD, RSC, RNC, VMX, and TMX zoning districts (same reference as above).
A minimum lot size of 3 acres is required. The stable must be located at least 100 feet from side or rear lot lines. Two “large animals” per acre of land are permitted
(CZO Section 51.3.118).
Therefore, one may have a horse anywhere in the county unless they want to provide it with shelter. Stabling triggers the above zoning restrictions.

When me and the "Boss" were looking to buy a house with land, we ran accross this. I called St Mary's county to verify it, and was told: We could have as many horses as we want on our land, UNTIL we built a Barn. then by building the Barn, we trigger the above "regulations".

R

remaxrealtor

beachbunny said:
RemaxRealtor,

That horse in your picture is beautiful. Is he yours? If so, I bet you are enjoying this great weather we are having now and getting in lots of riding time. Have a great day!
Yes he is, and thank you very much! We rode all last weekend and I'm planning on a sunrise ride tomorrow!