How much land

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
appyday said:
Ok so a run in shed is different then then then the barn..when I first did my barn 15+ years ago it needed a permit and they came out when I applied and measured..when I built a smaller barn (?run in) in another field 2- 12 X 12 stalls and a small 8 X 8 attached feed room we did not need a permit...then when we knocked down the other barn and put up a rather large 40 X 50 barn again they said no permit..

We are zoned agriculture not residential and I think that is why...We have alot of untagged cars in our neighborhood...we have all been here 20 years and know each other and I guess because we all have them they are not being reported..even though a planning and zoning guy lives next door..I wish they would make us get rid of them they look nasty...I guy came by the other day and offered to haul them free and hubby said no...:ohwell:

Appy,

Dont know about the Cars, but if you live in St Mary's, unless its something in a HOA (Home Owners ASSociation) then you do not have to have a permit to build a barn, it doesnt hurt, but its not necessary (unless your in a critical zoned area).

Planning and Zoning FAQ (Linky )
FAQ #5: Do I need a permit to build a barn?
A permit is not required to construct a building for agricultural purposes if the structure is to be located outside the Critical Area. The building must comply with required setbacks of at least 5 feet from the side and rear property lines (CZO Schedule 32.1 footnote 4) and be separated from all other structures by at least 10 feet (CZO Section 51.2.4.c). It may not be located in the required front yard setback. It must be located at least 10 feet away from a septic system/easement and at least 30 feet away from any well.

An environmental permit is required to construct an agricultural building if the structure is to be located in the Critical Area.

A private stable (not related to the ordinary operation of a farm), is considered an agricultural building for permitting purposes. A minimum lot size of 3 acres is required. The structure must be located at least 100 feet from side or rear lot lines (CZO Section 51.3.118).

Related Issues
The maximum allowable height of a detached accessory structure is 40 feet in most zoning districts (CZO Section 51.2.4.b and Schedule 32.1).
Any electrical work must be done by a St. Mary’s County Master Electrician.

As for Animal Control, you have to permit them to come on your land, unless they come with a sheriff (and or a warrant) they have no enforcement powers. I had an 'issue', because of my big scary Dobie a few years ago (her ears werent docked and it gave her "issues" lol). my neighbor (who was certifiable) at the time, didnt like the fact that she played with her yorkie, through the fence (her dog stayed on her side of the fence, my dog stayed on my side, they never got out, but they would run along side and chase each other through the fencing). when she called animal control, and they showed up, i didnt allow them onto my land (lol at the time i had a huge .5 acre lot) the officer didnt like it, but it was a nuissance call anyways.

we had someone (we know who) call Animal Control about our horses (said they didnt have water). we got a notice in the mail, (no one was home, so they couldnt get permission) and when we called them back we asked about the "Neccessary" requirements. we were told Food Water and Shelter, but if they have access to the woods (they didnt at the time) then that constitutes Shelter.

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
appyday said:
When I built my first barn I was told we need a permit...so we did...when we rebuilt they said we did not...We are agriculter never heard of HOA we have nothing like that I am sure...

As for animal contol....that is who you call for neglected animals etc..never had an issue with them...my neighbors called planning and zoning which deal with animal issues with zoning...guess what pig did not count because he did not have a pig pen... :lmao: He has free run and sleeps in the barn..so no pig sty...go figure..and chickens either unless you have a chicken pen..mine run free and sleep in the rafters...weird how that works...llamas are under 500 lbs they dont count..along with foals...

It sounds like pigs (and chickens) fall under the same umbrella as horses. theres no regulations for them UNTIL you build a shelter for them. the Shelter seems to be what triggers the regulations. which seems backwards.