How much land

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SAHRAB said:
These are for Saint Mary's County : Planning and Zoning Faq ( Linky )

When me and the "Boss" were looking to buy a house with land, we ran accross this. I called St Mary's county to verify it, and was told: We could have as many horses as we want on our land, UNTIL we built a Barn. then by building the Barn, we trigger the above "regulations".

I think it would be kind of cruel to have horses without a stable, but that is the reference I found too.

Guess the question would be, define a stable.

I've seen some similar to lean-to's where the horse can get shelter.. and of course full fledged barns..

What if you kept them in your garage?? Would you still need 3 acres?

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
itsbob said:
I think it would be kind of cruel to have horses without a stable, but that is the reference I found too.

Guess the question would be, define a stable.

I've seen some similar to lean-to's where the horse can get shelter.. and of course full fledged barns..

What if you kept them in your garage?? Would you still need 3 acres?

Not disagreeing with ya, but thankfully that ordinance lets us move our horses over to our house now, while we wait for our barn to get built (looks like june/july'ish)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SAHRAB said:
Not disagreeing with ya, but thankfully that ordinance lets us move our horses over to our house now, while we wait for our barn to get built (looks like june/july'ish)
Think I got my answer..

A running stall/shed, three sided building, open, horses can normally come and go. One acre or even 1/2 acre of land with a running stall, you're within the law, with even two or three horses.

Last edited:
W

WildHorses

remaxrealtor said:
You have to know where to look :huggy: !

Land Use and Growth Management. There are setback regulations for barns, etc. as well, and of course you need to follow HOA Covenants and Restrictions if they apply.

I'm with itsbob on this one, I'm having a heck of a time finding concrete law on this issue and, all things being equal, I shouldn't be having a hard time finding the law. :lmao: Then again, may explain my career change. :howdy: Calvert has it's 100' setback regulation and it's 3 acre standard for a stable, but the number of animals issue is a mystery as far as I can see. :confused: Remax is correct, get a copy of the HOA covenants and restrictions before anything else if you're moving animals. Now I promise to stop. :deadhorse

When we moved from Calvert (7 years ago) as long as it was "rural" it was 1 acre per horsey. Can't say if it has changed- but I also thought they invoked the 5 acre rule too- no SF home could be built now on less than that. We had 2 horse on 2 1/2 acres up there. I know things change!

mingiz

Horse Poor
Appy is correct on that I did read some SMC regs. So my friend is heart broken because she really liked the house, But it isn't quit 3 acres.

beachbunny

SoMd Realtor
appyday said:
They have a contract I think they went down to $400K going to settle I think in 2 weeks...

Well, if anything changes or falls through pass on my info to them. My buyers may be able to snatch it up quick for them if they need a fast settlement. :high5:

Hope everything goes smooth with their settlement though. It's such a stressful time for the buyers and sellers.

Wish them a quick and profitable settlement for me! :flowers:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
mingiz said:
Appy is correct on that I did read some SMC regs. So my friend is heart broken because she really liked the house, But it isn't quit 3 acres.
SMC regs are misleading then.. 3 acres ONLY applies if you put up a barn.. a running shed or stall, you can have a half acre and still own horses..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
appyday said:
NO you can not.....
When me and the "Boss" were looking to buy a house with land, we ran accross this. I called St Mary's county to verify it, and was told: We could have as many horses as we want on our land, UNTIL we built a Barn. then by building the Barn, we trigger the above "regulations".
Sounds like SOMEone here has done the necessary research. And the reg defines a stable/barn as a place to KEEP animals, well a running shed is to provide cover, but is not a place to KEEP them.. so by the definition of the law, you can have a horse with less then three acres, as long as you don't construct a barn.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
and excuse me for butting in, but I saw the debate about owning horses, and thought it would be fun to do some research on it, if for no other reason, to see if our neighbors were in compliance. Not that I would complain if they weren't, they're good people..

That and I hoped we didn't have enough land, so the next time my daughter brought it up I wouldn't be the bad guy.. "But sweet heart, I'd buy you a horse, but we can't, we dont have enough land!!"

NOW lets move on to the unregisterd vehicles parked in your front yard shall we??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
appyday said:
needs to be 3 sidded a roof and I think 10 X 10 per horse..not sure I have always had enough shelter and barns..

OOPS sorry about the unregisterd vehicle comment, it wasn't directed at you.. another law I'm interested in because of my neighbors..

ANd what you stated above describes a running shed not a barn.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
itsbob said:
OOPS sorry about the unregisterd vehicle comment, it wasn't directed at you.. another law I'm interested in because of my neighbors..

ANd what you stated above describes a running shed not a barn.
For clarification, the non-registered cars belong to the unruly neighbors, and not the cool neighbors with the horses. I love seeing the neighbors horses and goats in their small pasture, but I absolutely don't want any horses on my property. Too much effort and money to maintain them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BadGirl said:
For clarification, the non-registered cars belong to the unruly neighbors, and not the cool neighbors with the horses. I love seeing the neighbors horses and goats in their small pasture, but I absolutely don't want any horses on my property. Too much effort and money to maintain them.
That and their kids are pretty cool too.. Can't wait for Nicholas to get old enough to play along with the neighborhood kids.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Does anybody know the number to call to get un-tagged cars removed? Who is the agency that supports that service?

Is it unreasonable to be upset at one house that has eight cars total, of which five are untagged? It would be different if this house "collected" the cars over the span of many years, but this community is only about six years old. Most of the homes are well-taken care of, aside from the house belonging to these no-loads.

mingiz

Horse Poor
appyday said:
Ok so a run in shed is different then then then the barn..when I first did my barn 15+ years ago it needed a permit and they came out when I applied and measured..when I built a smaller barn (?run in) in another field 2- 12 X 12 stalls and a small 8 X 8 attached feed room we did not need a permit...then when we knocked down the other barn and put up a rather large 40 X 50 barn again they said no permit..

We are zoned agriculture not residential and I think that is why...We have alot of untagged cars in our neighborhood...we have all been here 20 years and know each other and I guess because we all have them they are not being reported..even though a planning and zoning guy lives next door..I wish they would make us get rid of them they look nasty...I guy came by the other day and offered to haul them free and hubby said no...:ohwell:

My first barn at the first home I had was only 15x15. That was so I didn't have to get a permit back then. The land I have now is zoned ag. I started with a 10X20 shed and then later built a 18x30 barn with no permit becasue it's zone ag and housed animals.

As far as untagged cars if there is a HOA then they could possibly do something. If not I would call the county about it. I knew these people down our way that turned thier yard into a junk yard and some one complained and they had to remove all the junk cars they had. Which is a good thing. Keeps kids from getting hurt and unwanted critters from moving in. :lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
What is strange, is we do have covenants, and HOA by-laws, but it's not manned, there is no board, president etc..

W

WildHorses

itsbob said:
What is strange, is we do have covenants, and HOA by-laws, but it's not manned, there is no board, president etc..
Sounds like the perfect opportunity to seize control. :howdy: