How old are your dishes?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
My mom gets new dishes every couple of years or so just because she gets bored of the old ones.
I do the same thing, but I don't buy expensive dishes. Next time I'm just going to get simple white dishes so I won't feel compelled to replace them. I'm looking for some that aren't made in China but are still relatively affordable. Maybe Ikea. Glasses too. We have so many different types of glasses and it stresses me out. :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I do the same thing, but I don't buy expensive dishes. Next time I'm just going to get simple white dishes so I won't feel compelled to replace them. I'm looking for some that aren't made in China but are still relatively affordable. Maybe Ikea. Glasses too. We have so many different types of glasses and it stresses me out. :lol:

Have you tried Overstock.com?

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
I don't believe I've had a full set of anything since having kids :killingme

Guess I'll replace them when needed...

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
I have 3 kids... all of them clumsier than a bag of hammers.

We have good dishes that never get used - and I've forgotten what they look like - and we use a set of plastic dishes that haven't been replaced since 1999 and will probably be here long after the cockroaches that survived the nuclear holocaust have gone extinct.

I have 3 kids... all of them clumsier than a bag of hammers.

We have good dishes that never get used - and I've forgotten what they look like - and we use a set of plastic dishes that haven't been replaced since 1999 and will probably be here long after the cockroaches that survived the nuclear holocaust have gone extinct.

For some reason it's always my bowls that get the chips. I guess because the edges stick farther out? I'd Like to get get a set of stainless steel, but then I couldn't use them in the microwave. Oh well. It would be cool anyway.

belvak

Happy Camper
I have some that are about 15 years old, several pieces of my Mom's, Grandmothers', and Great Grandmother's, then some new stuff (Corelle). I gave away a set of dishes to my "pseudo-daughter" when she moved out of her Mom's and my daughter has a some of my old dishes. I never did the China thing. Didn't have a china cabinet to put it in, and figured the money was better spent on other stuff rather than dishes to be packaged and put away in a box. :lol: Oh, and I have nearly an entire set of green glassware downstairs in a box. Maybe one day, I'll get aroung to getting a cabinet to display it and the heirloom pieces in.

Christy

b*tch rocket
My dishes are almost 20 years old. They're just plain old black plates and bowls. I've been on the lookout for a couple years now for new dishes, I just haven't found anything yet that I really really like.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
which ones?

There is the set of English stoneware that Mom got piece by piece from the bank when I was in college and I added some extra plates from ebay. (this set goes to son #1 at some point)

There is the Pfaltzgraff set that we bought about 20 years ago (I'm tired of these and trying to give them all to daughter #2).

There is the set of antique dishes, service for 12, that I scored at an auction in Pennsylvania for $17.50 about 23 years ago.

There is the partial set of Limoges (scored at same auction for about same price).

There is the set of Pfaltzgraff Winterberry that gets brought out every year for Christmas through New Years.

There is the set of German porcelain dishes (and American reproduction pieces to match the set) that belonged to my Mother-in-law.

Hmmmm...I think I just might have too many sets of dishes, so I really shouldn't be looking for another set....but just as soon as daughter number 2 picks up the rest of the current Pfaltzgraff set, I'm going shopping! :lmao:

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
12yo Corelle --white. Goes with everything , made in the USA, non toxic, practically indestructable and lightweight.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
My mom gets new dishes every couple of years or so just because she gets bored of the old ones. I, on the other hand, keep mine until they're so chipped up or enough of them get broken that I have to replace them.

So which one are you?

I keep mine! I have a set of Corelle (beige with fruit on them) which is easily as old as Thing2, who will be 15 in about 10 days. I love them and they are in very good shape - no chips whatsoever. I would probably replace them if I ever found a set I really liked more.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
We've been married for 14.5 years as of last week.

Our everyday dishes, we started getting as gifts for Christmas 15 years ago. Our "formal" dishes, which we rarely use, we started getting 14.5 to 14 years ago.

The everyday dishes have been broken, chipped, etc. over the years. We've gotten replacements at the Pfalzgraff outlet and at thrift stores.....

so, in answer to the question... 15 years would be the most accurate answer. And given that the pattern has not been discontinued and replacements are readily available, we are probably good for at least 15 more years.

millertc

We bought our dishes when we married 11 years ago. I have a bowl that cracked and I am getting sick of the pattern.

I have a new set of my Grandmother's dishes that came from GC Murphy in Alexandria, VA. My Dad said the set may be 65-70 years old. My Grandmother was "saving them for good". Sadly, "good" never came for her. I wanted to start using them but I was a little worried about the design on them. Not sure if they used lead paint on these dishes back in the day.

I have been looking in the stores for new sets that will not break the bank. At this point, it seems like it would be a splurge to buy a new set for just one broken bowl. I will check out that replacements website. Thanks for the tip.

D

dems4me

Wow! I'm feeling silly now :lol: I had NO idea that folks replaced their plates let alone matched them to things :stupid: I just have a box of K-mart ones that were given to me when I got my first apartment, eons ago and I think that was by River Rat. Over the ears, those break (chips are fine :yay:) I get a few here and there at thrift stores to replace them over time. :lol: To me a plate is a plate... as long as they are servicable - it's all good:yay: 90% of the time I eat off of paperplates, River Rat prefers real plates. So I set the table.... me with a paper plate and her with a Kmart or Thrift store plate - one that doesnt match anything, but serves its purpose. :lol: Not a biggy with me. Had no idea there was "plate ettiqutte" :roflmao:

baby

Correll 10 years.... love them! :) I really like the square ones the have now, but can't seem to care enough to replace them! :)