How stupid!!!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
*Ouch!*

That's bull####.

That hurt! I don't think I can feel my legs! I can't move! I've been...injured! Someone get me a nanny! Or a state! Or a nanny state! Or, at the very least, Johnny Cochran's ghost or Bill or Bob or one of them Bonnets! I have been aggrieved!!!

:jameo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Would a...

Oh, so it's ok that the 5 year old got knocked-out because others have been, too? :rolleyes:

...helmet have stopped that kid from getting knocked out? Wouldn't a motorcycle helmet have been much better??? Well?

Edit: I was frothing at the mouth and didn't see the rest of your post.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Then...

Then your helmet must not have been secured properly. You don't think the kid would have gotten knocked out if he'd had a helmet on? I bet his concussion wouldn't have been so bad. He probably wouldn't have even gotten knocked out.

...we need to be sure the law specifies that the helmet be secured properly! The only way I can see this happening, uniformly, is if we create a department of helmet security and put people on the road to conduct spot horsey riding inspections with powers to levy fines, confiscate non conforming helmets and, if necessary, impound horsey's so as to prevent unwarranted boo boo's.

Remember, it's for the children.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope...

So, are we supposed to be against every law the government makes? I mean, c'mon, if they make a law against drunk driving, they may eventually make a law outlawing alcohol!

...I think speed limits and other traffic control is reasonable. I do NOT think it reasonable to have laws demanding this or that or the other thing in terms of ones child, ones horesy and ones safety. If someone has a horse, they know the dangers. If they've ridden, they really know the dangers. As I say, I was FORCED, REQUIRED by my folks and the people that taught me, on our farm, on our horsey, to wear that stupid, azzhat English dorkstine riding hat.

Forced. And nary a revenuer in sight.

It never saved me anything. It made me hate horses and all thing English including those POS saddles. I want Western, dammit, and hackamores make sense to me. And a gun. And pizza for breakfast. And smokey bars...and...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Know...

So, are we supposed to be against every law the government makes? I mean, c'mon, if they make a law against drunk driving, they may eventually make a law outlawing alcohol!

...anyone hurt or caused injury while DHR, drunk horsey riding?

Cowgirl

...we need to be sure the law specifies that the helmet be secured properly! The only way I can see this happening, uniformly, is if we create a department of helmet security and put people on the road to conduct spot horsey riding inspections with powers to levy fines, confiscate non conforming helmets and, if necessary, impound horsey's so as to prevent unwarranted boo boo's.

Remember, it's for the children.

Ok, Larry. This is the point where I'm going to stop arguing with you. I have said repeatedly that I never thought it should be a LAW requiring riders to wear helmets. You can't get that through your head. :buh-bye:

T

toppick08

Ok, Larry. This is the point where I'm going to stop arguing with you. I have said repeatedly that I never thought it should be a LAW requiring riders to wear helmets. You can't get that through your head. :buh-bye:

:huggy:

Your still a hottie.........to me....:blushing:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Bob, do you buckle baby Bubba in a carseat when you drive?

ANd I would if the law didn't require it..

He also plays outside, and OMG, he climbs on his playground without a helmet!!

He slides down slides.. he swings.. he rides his tractor, and rides on my tractor with me.. sans helmet.

Bottom line, I don't need the gov't or anyone else, telling me on how to raise my kids, or what is safe or not.

You do notice that ALL the playgrounds we played on (well maybe you aren't as old as me) and had good safe time on, or all GONE.. because they were deemed unsafe by SOMEbody.. now you have to go out and pay $500,000 for a SAFE playground for kids to play on. I'd be surprised if the playground we played on was $1500 in today's dollars.. AND it was on ASPHALT.. no requirement for 6 inches of bark muclh or sand under and around all playground equipment.

I'm surprized bicycles are still legal for anyone under the age of 18.

And no comment about making horses illegal for EVERYONE.. I mean they are a hazard, people die riding them every year.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You do notice that ALL the playgrounds we played on (well maybe you aren't as old as me) and had good safe on, or all GONE.. because they were deemed unsafe by SOMEbody.. now you have to go out and pay $500,000 for a SAFE playground for kids to play on. I'd be surprised if the playground we played on was $1500 in today's dollars.. AND it was on ASPHALT.. no requirement for 6 inches of bark muclh or sand under and around all playground equipment.

And, on that note, I went to the playground up at the old house to swing, and guess what? They're gone! Replaced by those kiddie gym things that are impossible to get hurt on and are also no fun. Seems too many kids were getting kicked walking past the swingers. :lol:

Cowgirl

ANd I would if the law didn't require it..

He also plays outside, and OMG, he climbs on his playground without a helmet!!

He slides down slides.. he swings.. he rides his tractor, and rides on my tractor with me.. sans helmet.

Bottom line, I don't need the gov't or anyone else, telling me on how to raise my kids, or what is safe or not.

You do notice that ALL the playgrounds we played on (well maybe you aren't as old as me) and had good safe time on, or all GONE.. because they were deemed unsafe by SOMEbody.. now you have to go out and pay $500,000 for a SAFE playground for kids to play on. I'd be surprised if the playground we played on was $1500 in today's dollars.. AND it was on ASPHALT.. no requirement for 6 inches of bark muclh or sand under and around all playground equipment.

I'm surprized bicycles are still legal for anyone under the age of 18.

And no comment about making horses illegal for EVERYONE.. I mean they are a hazard, people die riding them every year.

He plays on playgrounds? Wow..... Our kids don't do anything fun like that, because I'm such a bubble-person and all. :ohwell:

Attachments

• DSC01155.jpg
    DSC01155.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 45

Spicober

...helmet have stopped that kid from getting knocked out? Wouldn't a motorcycle helmet have been much better??? Well?

Edit: I was frothing at the mouth and didn't see the rest of your post.

As much as I think I disagree w/you..You still are really funny :buddies:

I dont think the point any of us are trying to make is that this should be a law, but a little common sense. If you are out walking around the yard, maybe even a little trail..alright. This 3 year old was barrel racing!

Again, My daughter was KICKED in the FACE by one of our "bomb proof" kid horses. They are ( as much as I love my horses ) unpredictable.

My hubby is a race car driver of a pro-stock car that goes 7 seconds. He wears a helmet when he goes that fast. When in a car, no he doesnt. Our family (my 4 year old included) rides 4-wheelers. When we go to Va. and jump and do crazy stuff-helmets. RIding around the yard-probably not.

Just a little common sense goes a long way. I pray to god that no one ever gets hurt on horses ever again, but most likely it will happen.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
He plays on playgrounds? Wow..... Our kids don't do anything fun like that, because I'm such a bubble-person and all. :ohwell:

Yep, it's all plastic, the slide isn't anymore than 3 - 4 feet off of the ground.. and look.. there's the required 6 inches of FAKE bark mulch (so they don't get splinters!!)

My favorite slide in the world (even after I fell off it) when I was a kid was an all metal behemoth that was at least 8 feet tall and on asphalt..

When I was 5 or 6 it was a SCAREY transition to go from climbing the ladder to sitting on the top of the slide. (that is also when I fell.)

Cowgirl

Yep, it's all plastic, the slide isn't anymore than 3 - 4 feet off of the ground.. and look.. there's the required 6 inches of FAKE bark mulch (so they don't get splinters!!)

My favorite slide in the world (even after I fell off it) when I was a kid was an all metal behemoth that was at least 8 feet tall and on asphalt..

Ok, so what do you want me to do? Scrape away all the mulch underneath? Do you want me to make my own slide off the roof or something? Then will I be cool?

The kids don't care if there's mulch on the ground. All they know is they get to run around and have fun.

Last edited: